Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a deer

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:51 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeJunkie
Thanks guys. Believe me, I am thankful that I hit Bambi instead of the doe. It's surprising that for a little while after the incident happened, I never even thought of myself. After it set in for a while, it did dawn on me how lucky I was. I am definitely being watched over.

I wasn't wearing a helmet at the time it happened, but IMO, that was my wake up call to start wearing one again. The one thing that amazes me is that deer are seldom moving on hot summer afternoons.
mc1960, there wasn't enuff left of Bambi to try to salvage anything after I hit him.
I know how you feel, I hit a Bambi with my SUV last year, it ran across the road right behind its mama. I just felt sick about it, and it was hard trying to get the image out of my mind, and the poor mama deer running back and forth in the ditches looking for her baby.

I know what some of you guys are thinking, but at one time I was a hunter too. I loved getting out in the bush looking for deer, elk or moose to shoot, but I just don't have the heart for it anymore. I've realized that you don't have to go out and kill things to feel macho.
I am now an avid supporter of the SPCA, and when I donate to them, it actually gives my spirit a lift. Helping animals is the best form of therapy.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:02 AM
anickel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you play the lottery? Sounds like you have alot of luck on your side.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:37 AM
road_king_rob
Tourer

Better hope that momma deer doesn't come looking for you. They can get pretty aggressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BWlyqEwSWA

Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saturday at 2pm in East Texas on a club ride we had a doe run out with a little fawn not 50 ft behind her. Thankfully we all were able to slow up quick enough. Just glad the front row of bikes had their eyes peeled! Whats the deal with all the day time movement of nocturnal animals in Texas this year? On a daily basis I am seeing deer, skunks, and coyotes out in the middle of the day.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 AM
Hunter2678
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JimmySGC
Glad you came through it unhurt. I for one have no sympathy for deer, bikers hurt and killed every year from deer collisions. How many of us know not one but probably many friends or relatives that have hit deer in their cars? I know of at least three people personally that have acquired Lyme disease, and deer are one of the main reservoirs for the ticks that carry the disease. I think deer season should be year round.
Ohhhhh, its alive and well in southern Ohio....

Old 06-21-2010, 07:02 AM
Hunter2678
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Stubby3492
I know how you feel, I hit a Bambi with my SUV last year, it ran across the road right behind its mama. I just felt sick about it, and it was hard trying to get the image out of my mind, and the poor mama deer running back and forth in the ditches looking for her baby.

I know what some of you guys are thinking, but at one time I was a hunter too. I loved getting out in the bush looking for deer, elk or moose to shoot, but I just don't have the heart for it anymore. I've realized that you don't have to go out and kill things to feel macho.
I am now an avid supporter of the SPCA, and when I donate to them, it actually gives my spirit a lift. Helping animals is the best form of therapy.
You do realize that hunting deer keeps the population in check right? You also realize the numerous down stream benefits this affords the deer as well as us Humans right?

To the OP I'm glad you're ok, and Im sure your family feels the same way too.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:00 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Hey Junkie, your making me laugh here. Glad your ok, feel real bad for the deer, but thez aint baby deer. Thez fawns. just messin but you really did make me laugh. And you watch those baby bears out there, woops, mean cubs!! :-)

Old 06-21-2010, 08:23 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sucks the baby deer got hit, but it's life and glad your ok man. I almost hit a big deer last week on the way home from the GF's place. It was very dark and that deer was running so fast that I did not see it till I was looking at the side of it-I did not even have time to get on the brakes, but thank God I was not going faster then the speed limit and that deer was so fast that I missed it by a few feet.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:50 AM
karlmdog
Tourer

Natures little speed bump. Keep alert, there will be more - too many of the bastards around.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 AM
PnDegc
Road Master

Always ALWAYS look out for the ones following. Rarely is the 1st deer hit. It's the ones behind. Came to a complete stop once in Ohio as 30 crossed the road One at a time.
The closer the brush / trees are to the road the slower I go.

Quick Reply: Hit a deer