Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a deer

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:41 PM
JimmySGC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you came through it unhurt. I for one have no sympathy for deer, bikers hurt and killed every year from deer collisions. How many of us know not one but probably many friends or relatives that have hit deer in their cars? I know of at least three people personally that have acquired Lyme disease, and deer are one of the main reservoirs for the ticks that carry the disease. I think deer season should be year round.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:47 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Be thankful you were not injured or killedn the deer probably didn't feel a thing

Old 06-20-2010, 07:50 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are lucky.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:50 PM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh my god, you killed bambi!

Oh ya, THANK YOU!

To me deer are just like rats, a food source for predators that have long moved on to other hunting grounds, bring back the wolves or exterminate ALL of the deer.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:18 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,184 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Thanks guys. Believe me, I am thankful that I hit Bambi instead of the doe. It's surprising that for a little while after the incident happened, I never even thought of myself. After it set in for a while, it did dawn on me how lucky I was. I am definitely being watched over.

I wasn't wearing a helmet at the time it happened, but IMO, that was my wake up call to start wearing one again. The one thing that amazes me is that deer are seldom moving on hot summer afternoons.
mc1960, there wasn't enuff left of Bambi to try to salvage anything after I hit him.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:29 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,528 Likes on 927 Posts

Always remember when you see one there are surely more following!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

You're lucky!

We have a TON of the little SOB's around here and one thing I've learned, if there is one - there are more. I ride home at night quite a bit down a 5 mile country road. I find myself going 5-10 below the speed limit and hugging the center line.

Glad you made it!

Old 06-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Enforcer419
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that you are ok. Have a friend of mine that hit a deer 3 years ago and just now got the screws out of his ankle. On a side note, was riding behind a buddy of mine today (Sunday) and seen a bird miss his head by about 6 inches. We laughed our asses off. Only because it missed him. Could have been bad.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

She will have more in the future, and there will be orphans out there that need a mother who got killed and she will take one in and milk it and care for it like its her own, Wildlife are very versitile. dont sweat it, just be very glad your OK and your bike is OK...nature will do what it always does, take care of itself, there is nothing that says that fawn would live anyhow, coyote could have gotten it sooner or later and that death is much worse.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:42 AM
JonV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are very fortunate, last thanksgiving in Asheville my cousin took a ride after the Holiday Dinner, it was his last, a Deer Jumped in front of him. A trucker witness told troopers it was unavoidable.

Quick Reply: Hit a deer