General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Oil Coolers Cool Your Thighs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010 | 05:49 PM
stevieg
|
Road Warrior
Default Do Oil Coolers Cool Your Thighs?

Went for a ride today here in SoCal. Wasn't even that hot. In the 80s and my legs were burning. I realize oil coolers keep the engine cooler but do they cool the engine enough to notice it on your legs? I've got a PC, Big Sucker and V&H Big Shots but I've also got a C&C seat which is flush to the oil tank on my Heritage and I have RJ's heat shields. I'm not worried that much about my engine overheating as much as my legs.
Has anyone noticed a difference in thigh heat with an oil cooler?

Old 06-20-2010 | 05:53 PM
harleyriv
Road Master

It might make a bit of difference but probably not enough to notice without a guage.

Old 06-20-2010 | 05:54 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Mine don't!

Old 06-20-2010 | 06:01 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default No

Originally Posted by stevieg
Went for a ride today here in SoCal. Wasn't even that hot. In the 80s and my legs were burning. I realize oil coolers keep the engine cooler but do they cool the engine enough to notice it on your legs? I've got a PC, Big Sucker and V&H Big Shots but I've also got a C&C seat which is flush to the oil tank on my Heritage and I have RJ's heat shields. I'm not worried that much about my engine overheating as much as my legs.
Has anyone noticed a difference in thigh heat with an oil cooler?
Primarily for engine protection but that is important on the new touring bikes.

Old 06-20-2010 | 06:04 PM
Jags93
Road Master

No way would you notice. try a mid frame air deflector if they make them for the softtails.

Old 06-20-2010 | 06:50 PM
Rocket Man
Cruiser

Don't think you'll notice a difference, but your motor would. I always had oil coolers on my bikes. It gets really hot on the Gulf Coast in the summer.

Old 06-21-2010 | 12:20 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

I have a 2010 Heritage Softail (FLSTC) that sounds like it is equipped very much like yours, "except" that I have a MoCo Oil Cooler on it.

My bike has: Stock Seat, a Screaming Eagle Stage I Air Cleaner, Vance & Hines Big Shot Longs with Big City Thunder QQ2 Baffles, a TTS mild reprogram of the ECU, Kuryakyn Saddle Shields, and the aforementioned Oil Cooler.

If I get stuck in city traffic (Hey it's LA . . .Stop Light, Stop Light, Stop Light . . . . forever . . . ) I can feel the heat coming off the engine around the Saddle Shields waiting at a Stop Light; but it's never objectionable . . . just that it is noticeable. The Oil runs around 205 - 215 F (I verified the MoCo Oil Tank Thermometer with a Fluke thermocouple and found it to be surprisingly accurate . . .what a shock!) and the oil temperature doesn't ever seem to ever go above that, although I've ridden the bike out in the Central Valley at over 95 F. Oh, and although I have the Rear Cylinder Cut Out option turned "On" The engine has never gotten hot enough to activate it.

Hope this helps. Not sure if the Oil Cooler, Saddle Shields, the TTS Tune or a combination of these items is what's making my bike OK and yours a toaster but . . . .

Old 06-21-2010 | 09:33 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Cooling Mods

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I have a 2010 Heritage Softail (FLSTC) that sounds like it is equipped very much like yours, "except" that I have a MoCo Oil Cooler on it.

My bike has: Stock Seat, a Screaming Eagle Stage I Air Cleaner, Vance & Hines Big Shot Longs with Big City Thunder QQ2 Baffles, a TTS mild reprogram of the ECU, Kuryakyn Saddle Shields, and the aforementioned Oil Cooler.

If I get stuck in city traffic (Hey it's LA . . .Stop Light, Stop Light, Stop Light . . . . forever . . . ) I can feel the heat coming off the engine around the Saddle Shields waiting at a Stop Light; but it's never objectionable . . . just that it is noticeable. The Oil runs around 205 - 215 F (I verified the MoCo Oil Tank Thermometer with a Fluke thermocouple and found it to be surprisingly accurate . . .what a shock!) and the oil temperature doesn't ever seem to ever go above that, although I've ridden the bike out in the Central Valley at over 95 F. Oh, and although I have the Rear Cylinder Cut Out option turned "On" The engine has never gotten hot enough to activate it.

Hope this helps. Not sure if the Oil Cooler, Saddle Shields, the TTS Tune or a combination of these items is what's making my bike OK and yours a toaster but . . . .
I believe you have a good combination for a little extra performance and cooling on the 2010. You are lucky with the Heritage softail, the cats were in the mufflers. The Vance & Hines took care of your biggest problems. "The touring bikes got them in the headpipe".

The TTS richined up your AFR, a little extra Cooling!

The oil cooler also helps keep those oil temps down. You have a good combination of cooling mods and the EITMS not kicking in is a good sign you should get some extended engine service life also.

I may be wrong but someone will correct me but you may be running somewhat hotter than 215. I believe the oil tank is post cooler and if you took those temps at the crankcase oil pan they would be hotter. 240 or 250 is nothing to get alarmed about on those 95 degree days especially if went to a good synthetic at the 1000 mile service.

I mounted and external Oil temperature Gauge with the sensor in the oil pan but never look at it, if the EITMS is not kicking in why worry! I run a Jagg 10 row but mine is a touring.

Old 06-21-2010 | 09:51 AM
hogbutt
Advanced

A HD dealer told me that the 2010 flstc did not have a rear cylinder cutoff. hmmmmmm

Old 06-21-2010 | 11:10 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Eitms

Originally Posted by hogbutt
A HD dealer told me that the 2010 flstc did not have a rear cylinder cutoff. hmmmmmm
It may not since the heat problem seems to more of a touring model plague.

I would check the owners manual if I owned one, best place to make sure.

I am amazed at what some dealers don't know about their bikes and the EITMS is not set at the dealership in most cases.

I believe they have made that ECM program available for older models, back to 07's to retrofit for bikes that are used in the extreme heat conditons. Spend a lot of time at idle in hot weather!

This would be a good time for someone with the correct info to post, I know it is on the 2010 touring but not sure about the cruiser bikes.

Quick Reply: Do Oil Coolers Cool Your Thighs?