General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding 2 up the first time

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010 | 11:21 PM
02rk
|
Advanced
Default Riding 2 up the first time

I have my step daughter coming into town for the first time since I got my 02 electra glide. She wants me to take her for a ride. I have been riding my bike for about six months and feel compentent but I have never riden with a passenger. Any tips to make it a safe ride for her would be appreciated, how to mount dismount etc.

Old 06-19-2010 | 11:26 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

1)...Make sure your passenger always checks with you before they get "ON" or "OFF". If you aren't ready there's a good chance your bike will be going over.

Old 06-19-2010 | 11:31 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

When my ex rode with me, I would tilt the bike slightly to the left and she mounted from the left. It's a 1986 FXSTC though not a bagger.

Depending on how big she is, she could use the peg/floorboard and then swing the other leg over.

Make sure your step daughter knows not to rubberneck shifting her body quickly side to side so you don't lose control while riding.
You should explain about the bike leaning in turns and you leaning with it.

Old 06-19-2010 | 11:48 PM
Bones77
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 02rk
I have my step daughter coming into town for the first time since I got my 02 electra glide. She wants me to take her for a ride. I have been riding my bike for about six months and feel compentent but I have never riden with a passenger. Any tips to make it a safe ride for her would be appreciated, how to mount dismount etc.
Standard advice is have a year of riding experience prior to loading a passenger. Having said that, anyone can go in a straight line. Slow speed handling is where I notice most of the difference. Bike just handles differently with the added weight. And, if your passenger has never rode before like others have said no sudden moves, no leaning. Just have her sit back and relax.

Bones

Old 06-20-2010 | 01:17 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior

Breath through your nose or chew breath mints! Just go slow & easy, Have fun!

Old 06-20-2010 | 01:22 AM
SoCal_Will
Cruiser

When my wife first started riding it seemed logical to her to wait until we were stopped to adjust her position....Only happened once before she realized not the best time!

Old 06-20-2010 | 05:16 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

2 rules for a new rider and it will be fine:

1) Have her tap your shoulder before getting on and off
2) Tell her to look the direction the bikes is turning.

Only you know whether you are ready for a rider.

Old 06-20-2010 | 06:59 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kowan
You should explain about the bike leaning in turns and you leaning with it.
Except for very slow turns. Explain when you need to counter balance or both of you may be surprised.

Old 06-20-2010 | 07:26 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

My wife is to short to get her leg over the seat with me on the bike so I support the bike from the other side with it on the jiffy standshe gets on gets seated then I get on. Works for us.

Old 06-20-2010 | 07:27 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

good advice, all...... I would add - anticipate stopping sooner. with the extra weight, it's gonna take more road to stop.

Quick Reply: Riding 2 up the first time