General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding 2 up the first time

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010 | 08:18 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

I like to be upright when passenger mounts, tell them to put hand on my shoulder and "ask" if ready. Tell them to wait until I am on the Jiffy stand to dismount. All good advice above, rider follows drivers body which is sometimes with turn and when slow counterbalanced or against the turn.

# 1 IMO as mentioned is slow speed vs road speed. Moving, stretching their cheeks, fidgeting at slow speed can be very hard on the driver.

If you feel you're ready take a short neighborhood ride before heading out on a "cruise" so you and the passenger have time to adjust plus you can give yourself a little time to think about what roads you will now feel comfortable attacking riding 2-up at this stage.

I have a regular passenger again (step daughter also) this year and a 2nd one visiting who had never been a passenger. I took the unseasoned one up old Route 66 Black Mountain to Oatman only after we had some miles together first to get her used to it. Stopped at Cool Creek before going up the mountain to remind her of the rules again since we were heading into the twisties. Just be certain you are comfortable!

Old 06-20-2010 | 09:19 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

Has she ever been on a MC? Took my daughter out for a short ride just after I got my bike. She had never even sat on one until then. She was so tense that even though she wasn't conciously moving it made the bike twitch so bad I though I had a tire going down or something. She needs to relax and go with the bike.

Old 06-20-2010 | 09:28 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

Explain when going into curves that she does'nt have to lean, but to stay straight with your body and bike and just tilt her head over your right or left shoulder, depending on the curve. Have a good time.

Old 06-20-2010 | 10:30 PM
02rk
|
Advanced

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

Old 06-20-2010 | 10:37 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member

+1 to whats been said, passenger should be like a piece of luggage. Just stay with the bike, the driver should compensate for the load difference. Had gals on the back before that thought they needed to help out on corners, only thing is you don't know how much they're gonna help. Don't need no stinkin back seat drivers! Go slow at first till they get the hang of it and you'll be OK.

Old 06-20-2010 | 10:48 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain

ok i;m going to speak up, at any speed over 20 mph your passenger should be able to do jumping jacks back their and it shouldn't bother the driver. If you need the passenger to do anything special at road speeds you aren't ready for a passenger

Old 06-20-2010 | 11:30 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member

Aint nothing to Two up riding, just go over basics, her feet stays on pegs at all times, after that it really just comes down to you getting used to the extra weight..make her wear jeans, NO SHORTS, for one thing it will keep her from getting burned on the exhaust should she get her leg agianst that getting off and on.
But really two up is easy, just go slow, take it easy and learn the feel, it wont take long.

Old 06-20-2010 | 11:41 PM
Enforcer419
Cruiser

+1 to what everyone has said. I have the wife get off when we are in parking lots once I am close to putting the bike in a spot. And ALWAYS...ALWAYS make sure you give her the ok to climb on and off.

Old 06-21-2010 | 01:59 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

i have them get on and off the bike only when im seated. i never load a passenger when im on the stand. i make sure they only get on and off on the left side. when with a newbie passenger I just instruct them to lean with the bike

Old 06-21-2010 | 04:59 AM
anickel
Road Captain

Don't know what you were riding b4 the dresser, but with a passenger your going to have a smaller area to put your feet down. Floorboards take up more realestate then pegs.

Quick Reply: Riding 2 up the first time