General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a sub 10 second Harley??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 08:21 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,105 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos

Guy near me has a best of 6.830 at 197
Course his Buell isnt much on the street
Michael and his dad recently started building custom 107 and 110 bikes at their HD dealership.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:56 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Madnss
its also amazing what some bikes cant do on a drag strip. Not saying he cant, just saying lots of hp doesnt make a bike quick unless you can get it out of the hole.
Put up a time slip with that bike......or else its just another fish in the sea.
You did bother to read the thread I linked, didn't you? Or are just making it up as you go along?

The thread is about him running at the Hamster Drags at Sturgis. No, I admit they don't clock the bikes but considering we are talking about the cream of street ridable Harleys I think this is exactly what the OP asked...

Old 12-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
You did bother to read the thread I linked, didn't you? Or are just making it up as you go along?

The thread is about him running at the Hamster Drags at Sturgis. No, I admit they don't clock the bikes but considering we are talking about the cream of street ridable Harleys I think this is exactly what the OP asked...
Making it up as I go???? Wtf? The drag strip is so humbling. That bagger can suck on my sportster until it can post a time slip. Period.

Bull **** stops when the Xmas tree drops.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:25 AM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz

No doubt he's riding a fast bagger, but it don't run under 10 Seconds, which is the subject of this thread " Anyone have a sub 10 second Harley??. That is what the OP asked, not "anyone have a fast street Harley?"
I raced a turbo 225 HP bagger several years ago at a Fastest Street Harley in Socal event and when he launched, he spun, went sideways, and got all out of shape. He had way more HP than me but I left him. I think he ran high 10's, which is fast, but another zip code from high 9's-

Old 12-05-2013, 11:44 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
Most of the gum flapping about how slow Harleys are comes from those who have never put their heart and soul into trying. I for one know all to well how the bench racers love to brag about how fast their Rice Grinders are only to look like fools trying to prove it against my Harleys.
Gave up years ago trying to stay ahead of these kinds of wannabe's. If it were not for the box store cheap fast Rice they would not be spouting off.Not taking anything away from these bikes they speak for themselves.
In all my years of building and hot rodding Harleys the feelings you develop from tweaking these twin cylinders is a feeling these very people will never have. The pride of riding one is even greater,sad that so many feel the need to have to spank a Harley always wondered what it is they are trying to prove. Then I think I was a kid once and was doing the same thing before the over the pond bike builders were building factory race bikes.
This subject will never go away because new blood always replaces those that get beyond the having to prove something to the world. I enjoy reading the posts and the endless bench racing bickering and occasionally one will decide it's time to prove something.
No reason to ever stop feeling like a kid

Absolutely!

Old 12-05-2013, 11:58 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Madnss
besides....90 percent of racing is bracket or index anyway....at least for the joe smoe guys like me.
My question would be; what kind of times can be gotten from a 1250cc naturally aspired (streetable) motor with the stock cases?

Also, with the BT bikes, wouldn't a Dyna give the best chance at the lowest trap numbers given the big weight differential compared to the touring bikes?

Old 12-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
My question would be; what kind of times can be gotten from a 1250cc naturally aspired (streetable) motor with the stock cases?

Also, with the BT bikes, wouldn't a Dyna give the best chance at the lowest trap numbers given the big weight differential compared to the touring bikes?
Depends on what you consider streetable.

I've ran a 11.18 11.22 at a 118 on a complete street 1250 without any race gadgets other than a strap for the forks and a tach. Stock cases, tranny, gearing , primary

Yes I would assume heavily the low rider / super glide would be the bike of choice.

It takes one he'll of a bike and one he'll of a rider to run sub 10s without bars.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 52,187 Likes on 18,375 Posts

Originally Posted by spiceman40
The reason I brought up the subject was because of something kind of interesting I saw.There's a local dragstrip in the super small town of Evadale,Tx and it's pretty much bring what ya got,and you can run it as many times as you want for like $25 bucks.I saw one guy with a brand spankin new nightster run the dog s**t out of that bike.He must have made 15 passes in the 2 hours I was there.He actually left the strip to go get gas and came back.He's times fluctuated between low 13's and high 11's,depending on how the bike was running(he was sputtering a little down the track on a few runs).I remember thinking to myself the guy was a little crazy doggin that brand new bike full throttle pass after pass.Guess it's all about having a good time,even if your tearing the bike up.Not something I'd be doing.

-----
I bet that guy will be squawking when Moco denies a warranty repair.

For the amount of $$$ you would have to put into a cruiser or bagger to make it even feel quick compared to sport bikes would be crazy. I guess it would start with the 120R motor or you could go buy a used Triumph Rocket III for less $$$ which can do low 11s stock.

To me it's like asking which RV gets the fastest 1/4 mile time.

Here is an interesting site for 0/60 mph and 1/4 mile times of many different bikes.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Motorcy...mph-Times.html

From the site:
Erik Buell Racing Motorcycle 0 to 60 mph and Quarter Mile Times

2012 EBR 1190RS 0-60 mph 2.9 Quarter Mile 10.0

Last edited by Walter White; 12-05-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 52,187 Likes on 18,375 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969

From this site that compiles testing/review data:
http://www.zeroto60times.com/Motorcy...mph-Times.html

Harley-Davidson Motorcycle 0 to 60 mph and Quarter Mile Times

2007 Harley-Davidson FXDSE Screamin' Eagle Dyna 0-60 mph 4.2 Quarter Mile 12.3

2009 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 0-60 mph 6.6 Quarter Mile 14.8

2011 Harley-Davidson Rocker C 0-60 mph 6.4

2011 Harley-Davidson Street Glide 0-60 mph 5.9 Quarter Mile 14.8

2012 Harley-Davidson Sportster SuperLow 0-60 mph 6.1 Quarter Mile 14.4

2012 Harley-Davidson FLS Softail Slim 0-60 mph 4.2 Quarter Mile 13.0

2013 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom 0-60 mph 4.2 Quarter Mile 12.9

Last edited by Walter White; 12-05-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:50 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

120r will get you started but an S&S 145 will get you there a little quicker.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a sub 10 second Harley??