General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a sub 10 second Harley??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 590 Posts

This forum could use a drag race section.....really bad. Moderators? Any help? Thanks Madnss

Old 11-30-2013, 12:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Madnss
This forum could use a drag race section.....really bad. Moderators? Any help? Thanks Madnss
Keep the mod god outa this he's doing his flat out best to turn this forum into sunday school as it is ..............................

Old 11-30-2013, 01:00 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMbagger
My old turbo Hayabusa was a fun streetbike. 8.50 1/4 time.s It would run on 93 and sit in traffic without overheating.
I heard someone comment on my Harley when I parked it in town the other day. It was a girl, and she said something like, 'OMG a REAL Harley, they are SO fast, he is so hot' bla bla bla

I've had a **** load of bikes in my life, until this one all sports bikes, most of which would run sub 10 quarters, the last one being a 1000cc Honda V twin VTR, which I bought because I can't fit on a Ducati due to my large, er, legs.

SO, the point of my post, er, no can't remember, oh yes.........

Most people (non musicians) think the Rolling Stones are a great band. True they are good, but from a musicians point of view their music is, well, simple to say the least.

Most People (non bikers) think Harleys are the best (fastest, best made, most bad ***, most expensive) bikes on the planet. True they are good, but we know different, well they sure are expensive.

If you want a 10 second bike, then don't start with a Harley.

Last edited by fatboy slim; 11-30-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:58 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy slim

I've had a **** load of bikes in my life, until this one all sports bikes, most of which would run sub 10 quarters, the last one being a 1000cc Honda V twin VTR, which I bought because I can't fit on a Ducati due to my large, er, legs.

If you want a 10 second bike, then don't start with a Harley.
I'll guarantee most of your sportbikes (including your Honda VTR) don't run sub 9 second time slips unless modded-would love for you to post a time slip to back up your claim.
Most in street trim with average street riders run 10's or 11's-not 9's.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...RM-1997--2005/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...-2007-current/

I have whipped enough stock sportbikes at the track and street with my Harley(when I used to streetrace for cash), to know they can't launch worth a s..t in stock form with Joe average rider on them. Wheelies, missed shifts, etc.
Now the 2011, 12, and 13' big liter bikes (including the BMW) with all their HP, wheelie control, and all kinds of tech advantages would smoke me with the right rider but keep it real.
If I wanted the easy way I would just buy a BMW 1000R but what fun is that?
You will never know the priceless feeling of taking out a bike that is supposed to whip your azz-only to get his azz handed to him.
The best is when his friends are watching their buddy go down...

Old 12-01-2013, 05:46 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Most of the gum flapping about how slow Harleys are comes from those who have never put their heart and soul into trying. I for one know all to well how the bench racers love to brag about how fast their Rice Grinders are only to look like fools trying to prove it against my Harleys.
Gave up years ago trying to stay ahead of these kinds of wannabe's. If it were not for the box store cheap fast Rice they would not be spouting off.Not taking anything away from these bikes they speak for themselves.
In all my years of building and hot rodding Harleys the feelings you develop from tweaking these twin cylinders is a feeling these very people will never have. The pride of riding one is even greater,sad that so many feel the need to have to spank a Harley always wondered what it is they are trying to prove. Then I think I was a kid once and was doing the same thing before the over the pond bike builders were building factory race bikes.
This subject will never go away because new blood always replaces those that get beyond the having to prove something to the world. I enjoy reading the posts and the endless bench racing bickering and occasionally one will decide it's time to prove something.
No reason to ever stop feeling like a kid

Last edited by dog155; 12-01-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by PWMORRIS
I'll guarantee most of your sportbikes (including your Honda VTR) don't run sub 9 second time slips unless modded-would love for you to post a time slip to back up your claim.
Most in street trim with average street riders run 10's or 11's-not 9's.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...RM-1997--2005/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...-2007-current/

I have whipped enough stock sportbikes at the track and street with my Harley(when I used to streetrace for cash), to know they can't launch worth a s..t in stock form with Joe average rider on them. Wheelies, missed shifts, etc.
Now the 2011, 12, and 13' big liter bikes (including the BMW) with all their HP, wheelie control, and all kinds of tech advantages would smoke me with the right rider but keep it real.
If I wanted the easy way I would just buy a BMW 1000R but what fun is that?
You will never know the priceless feeling of taking out a bike that is supposed to whip your azz-only to get his azz handed to him.
The best is when his friends are watching their buddy go down...

very well stated!!!!

Old 12-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by dog155
Most of the gum flapping about how slow Harleys are comes from those who have never put their heart and soul into trying. I for one know all to well how the bench racers love to brag about how fast their Rice Grinders are only to look like fools trying to prove it against my Harleys.
Gave up years ago trying to stay ahead of these kinds of wannabe's. If it were not for the box store cheap fast Rice they would not be spouting off.Not taking anything away from these bikes they speak for themselves.
In all my years of building and hot rodding Harleys the feelings you develop from tweaking these twin cylinders is a feeling these very people will never have. The pride of riding one is even greater,sad that so many feel the need to have to spank a Harley always wondered what it is they are trying to prove. Then I think I was a kid once and was doing the same thing before the over the pond bike builders were building factory race bikes.
This subject will never go away because new blood always replaces those that get beyond the having to prove something to the world. I enjoy reading the posts and the endless bench racing bickering and occasionally one will decide it's time to prove something.
No reason to ever stop feeling like a kid

very well stated!!!!

Old 12-01-2013, 01:15 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 10 second Harley

I grew up respecting raw acceleration and speed and the amount of money and muscle that it takes to do that,not including the skill and nerve ! Love to watch it and hear about it and what it takes to do it, did some of it myself back in the day but take a more reserved approach to it today. " The older I get the longer my tires last " !!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2013, 01:56 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This has been an interesting read. It has run the gamut from "Harleys will never go fast" to "all liter bikes run sub 10s".

For all the doubters on this forum, here are three names to remember: Rivas, Morris, and Madnes; if one of them tells you it is raining ya better bring your umbrella. Harleys and speed are their passion, they know what they are talking about, they know how to do it and they back it up with timing slips and videos.

just my 2c

Bwana

Old 12-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Guy near me has a best of 6.830 at 197
Course his Buell isnt much on the street
Michael and his dad recently started building custom 107 and 110 bikes at their HD dealership.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a sub 10 second Harley??