General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Honey for ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OMG! I don't know what to say. It's all been said. Your DEALER/LOCAL SHOPS service department is your friend.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i had 70K miles on my 01 when i got my 09. i ran 15W50 Mobil 1 with one quart of Lucas Synthetic Oil supplement every 3K miles. doing the same on my 09. owner's manual may recommend 60W in hotter climates. i have ran the 60W in worn auto engines.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

There is NO magic snake oil out there that will cure a mechanical problem. It may muffle the sound, but it will not fix a clearance problem. These masking agents are used to help sell vehicles with worn out engines to unsuspecting buyers. Heavy weight oil will do the same thing at a lower cost.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:58 AM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Well now, bad friggin move. I'd not only change the oil immediately before running the bike, I'd look for a shop who can completely flush the system to make sure all that goop you just put in is removed. Autozone huh??? I wouldn't have believed this thread unless I read it. What the hell were you thinkin???

Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried this Motor Honey, only made me tick louder:

Attached Thumbnails Motor Honey for ticking?-motor-honey.jpg  
Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

No need to panic and go flushing oil. The stuff isn't gonna harm your engine. It will just add a bit to your viscosity number. Personally, I doubt if it will make any difference in your ticking. As said before...There ain't no magic in a can.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 AM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard of it and it's just another engine additive like STP or the many others on the shelf.If you have an old Chevy with 250k on it yeah use it.But not in mordern day engines.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was rebuilding my truck engine, and went to Autozone to get some plasti-guage...

The guy I spoke with was the manager of that store. He had no idea what I was talking about, so I explained how plasti-guage was used in detail. I even drew him some pictures! Anyway, he went into the back of the shop and spoke to a few different people. A few minutes later he came back with green and blue but said they were out of the red. I had to explain to him then what the different colors were for. Anyway, I got what I needed, and checked my crank and rod journals on the crank shaft. Then I ordered a new crank.

When the crank came in, I picked it up and went home and tried to install it. It was the wrong crank, and the bearings I ordered at the same time was for another engine altogether. So, I had to take all that back and explain to the manager I spoke with the first time to get a refund. I had already called the company that remanufactured the crank and the company that sold the bearings. I knew what the problem was, and had to convince every one I spoke to of that fact. So I was told to take the crank back and get a refund, so that I could order from another parts store.

When I took the crank back, I had to explain all this to the manager again...
His first reply to me was... "Did you check the tolerances with plasti-guage? You do know what plasti-guage is don't you?"

I could do nothing but shake my head at the moron who forgot that I was the one who just last week explained to him what they were!

Ask autozone about ANYTHING? Never!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
I was rebuilding my truck engine, and went to Autozone to get some plasti-guage...

The guy I spoke with was the manager of that store. He had no idea what I was talking about, so I explained how plasti-guage was used in detail. I even drew him some pictures! Anyway, he went into the back of the shop and spoke to a few different people. A few minutes later he came back with green and blue but said they were out of the red. I had to explain to him then what the different colors were for. Anyway, I got what I needed, and checked my crank and rod journals on the crank shaft. Then I ordered a new crank.

When the crank came in, I picked it up and went home and tried to install it. It was the wrong crank, and the bearings I ordered at the same time was for another engine altogether. So, I had to take all that back and explain to the manager I spoke with the first time to get a refund. I had already called the company that remanufactured the crank and the company that sold the bearings. I knew what the problem was, and had to convince every one I spoke to of that fact. So I was told to take the crank back and get a refund, so that I could order from another parts store.

When I took the crank back, I had to explain all this to the manager again...
His first reply to me was... "Did you check the tolerances with plasti-guage? You do know what plasti-guage is don't you?"

I could do nothing but shake my head at the moron who forgot that I was the one who just last week explained to him what they were!

Ask autozone about ANYTHING? Never!
You should have taken your own advice and ordered your parts from somebody who actually knows what they're talking about. Especially ordering a Crank and bearings!
Did he actually look in a book for your exact engine, or just type in the year, make and model in the computer and check a box?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:18 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

That is like puting saw dust in your valve train

Quick Reply: Motor Honey for ticking?