General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traffic light fails to trigger Green for motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by russell6hp
When running a light in that situation, I always check for a copper first just to avoid such things.
Yeah,.... darn sure a helpful thing to do! LOL

Personally, I'll give the light one full cycle and if it don't trigger, I'm gone.

If it's a "known" intersection that never triggers for me, I'll do the quick scan for coppers and go without waiting for the entire cycle.

What else can you do? Pull out the Thermos and sandwich and wait for the cops to come trigger it?

No judge will fine you for it, however, they won't reimburse you for lost work hours for court appearances.

It all goes back to "look for coppers first". He he! I think the whole world revolves around that action.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:09 AM
05Hog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

South Carolina allows us to go after waiting an acceptable amopunt of time. I THINK IT IS 2.5 MINS. I guess one of our state representative must have gotten tired of waiting at a light.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:20 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dumb lights...

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
Maybe the technology on this varies from state to state as I have never had a problem triggering a light.

There is another thread here on the forum on this exact same thing.
As far as I can tell all the traffic lights in this area of SE Michigan are "dumb" lights with no sensors; just timers plus they've got one old fashioned light hanging on a dang rope right overhead so you can't even see it sitting at the limit line. Coming from So Cal it was hard to get used to at first as I'll be approaching a green light with no other traffic anywhere and it turns red ( dumb *ss light ) I recall in So Cal sitting at a left turn light for a couple of cycles of the light, looking all around esp. behind billboards and hauling *ss when it was clear.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:35 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have run into lights that won't change, but I've also found that I can get some of them to change by getting as much metal over the metal strips in the road as possible - I usually roll the engine right above the front left corner of the metal rectangle in the road. Those things work by "sensing" the metal with electrical induction, not by weight, so getting dead in the middle of the rectangle with no metal over the sensor lines will cause them not to work. Check this out

Old 11-20-2010, 06:35 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buddy told me about this the other day. South Carolina allows you to run a red light if after remaining stopped for 2 minutes, and not getting a green light, you are allowed to run it. Good to know.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:08 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ja57
Sounds like with your videos you will beat it.
as long as the judge doesn't come in with his seeing eye dog - then it's just another case of blind justice.