General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010 | 09:26 PM
Tomcatt78
|
Intermediate
Default Clutch problem

I have an '85 FXRP and was out riding one day a couple weeks ago when my drive belt broke. I got the bike home with help from another biker who was passing by. I went out an got a new belt and started tearing the bike apart. Took the primary case, rear wheel, and swing arm off. Put the belt on and started putting the bike back together. I checked the clutch lever and I could not pull it in. I took the transmission cover off to check the cable. Took the ball an ramp apart, reset the *****, put the cable back on the release, and put the cover back on. The problem I'm having now is, when I squeeze the clutch lever, there is more free play in the lever then there used to be and the clutch spring diaphragm does not seem to push out evenly. Its only pushing out on the one side. The bike has a wet clutch. If someone could point me in the right direction as to what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate it. I have a service manual but it doesn't seem to help with this issue.

Old 06-17-2010 | 10:21 PM
paguy
Road Captain

I've noticed that there has been no replies to your question. Here are just a couple of uninformed thoughts. Put slack in your rear belt and primary chain and then observe the clutch movement.
I seem to remember an old shovelhead clutch with the basket consisting of a set of fingers/rods the disc/plates sliped onto. If by chance yours is the same configuration, maybe one of the fingers is bent.
Another possibility is the tranny has somehow shifted. Again going back to the shovel, the tranny, 4 speed, was mounted with 4 bolts through the frame. These had play designed in to allow movement of the tranny for alignment.
Good luck. Hope you are up soon.
Also, prchase a new set of springs.

Old 06-19-2010 | 01:11 PM
Tomcatt78
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice. I still haven't had much luck. If its any indication, when I put the tranny in gear and hold in the clutch lever, the back tire will not move. Its almost as if the clutch is not fully engaging.

Old 06-19-2010 | 02:27 PM
paguy
Road Captain

Put bike on some sort of a lift. Without useing clutch, by hand, drop tranny into gear. Turn wheel with primary cover still off. Whats' happening. If there is still with use of moderate force no movement, pull the clutch plates. If still no movement then I would think the problem is at the tranny. Probably something like a bent fork.
If it is at the tranny, I would still replace the clutch springs.

Old 06-19-2010 | 07:02 PM
Tomcatt78
|
Intermediate

I'll give that a try. The only thing is, I don't have springs, only a one spring diaphragm disk. I would include a picture of it but I haven't figured out how to that yet.

Last edited by Tomcatt78; 06-19-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2010 | 07:04 PM
Tomcatt78
|
Intermediate

I'm getting to the point where I may just have to take it to a dealer. Trying to avoid that since money is tight right now but its killing me to have the bike sitting on a jack when its nice out

Last edited by Tomcatt78; 06-19-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-20-2010 | 06:07 AM
paguy
Road Captain

I haven't pulled a clutch basket since I rebuilt my '76 shovel. On that bike I didn't need any special tools. I didn't have the money for any special tools. If you are able, without need of any special bearing pullers to remove the clutch basket and if your tranny removal can be easily done, you may want to do the removal yourself and take the tranny to a dealer or I took mine to an indy shop. I'm certain on the newer bikes the labor cost at pulling the primary apart is where the money is.
One more thing. Grab the shifter where it enters the tranny any feel for any movement. OH, I was partially kidding about the springs. When you mentioned the basket opening uneven that was my first thought or wrong torque.
Your right about taking the bike to a mechanic. You may want to ask around and find a honest indy. Not that most dealers aren't honest just expensive.
Good luck. If you have the time send me a PM on how things work out.

Old 06-20-2010 | 09:06 PM
Tomcatt78
|
Intermediate

I'll keep playing around with it and see what happens. It may just need the fluids put back in or something minor like that. If not, I'll have to take it to someone cause it'll be beyond my knowledge and what the service manual says to do. Thanks for your help. I'll PM you with the results.

Old 06-20-2010 | 11:10 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member

I figure you've probably retraced your steps on re-assembly, but it seems too coincidental that the clutch prob started after you put on the new belt. Double check what you've done first, before shelling out the bucks to have the dealer find something weird. If all else fails then the shop is the way to go. Sometimes its real easy to over look stuff in the rush to get it back together. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2010 | 12:27 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member

One of the sleeves that the four bolts screw into are broken, you'll need a new clutch basket. There is a bearing in there that will have to be pressed in. Not to expensive.

If that isn't it, make sure that all the bolts are in the same letter on the clutch plate, make sure you didn't forget any washers/spacers when you put the clutch together again, sometimes you need two steel clutch plates together to make up the pack. They should go in first, then alternate steel, fiber.

Hope I'm wrong, but if the clutch isn't pulling together then something is amiss.

You might want to move this thread to the Evo section, there are a lot of good guys there that can help.

Quick Reply: Clutch problem