General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are You one of those people?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010 | 08:23 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh yeah! I have drag pipes on my 99 Softail Custom, but with the windshield on, and my helmet on, I can hear stuff going on. It ain't loud, but just do not hear it with out the windshield. I have one of those noises now that only comes in at around 60 to 65 mph, as sort of a yum yum whine. Sometimes it does it, and sometimes not. I think it is the belt, probably just dusty from the gravel road I live on. When the humidity is high, it never makes a sound.

Old 06-16-2010 | 08:51 PM
Donny2guns@gmail.com
Advanced

Old 06-16-2010 | 09:01 PM
gasbag
Intermediate

I had a noise on my bike, a rattle up front that occurred only during a shift or deceleration. It drove me nuts for 3 weeks. I tightened everything, checking everything 5 times and checked again.

My son came down for a ride together. I asked him to ride my bike and see if he could find the rattle. He went out and came back 5 minutes later.

I asked him if he found the rattle. He said "Sure did" and handed me the gas cap. It seems the chrome cap on the gas cap had come loose from the body of the cap and was rattling.

I looked for 3 weeks. It took him 5 minutes. Man I hate kids................

Old 06-16-2010 | 09:09 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

I had a noise on my bike, a rattle up front that occurred only during a shift or deceleration. It drove me nuts for 3 weeks. I tightened everything, checking everything 5 times and checked again.
Haha - I had one like that. This was on my 2007 FXDC.

Riding on a real, real, hot day, 2-up with the wife. On the homeward side of a 300 mile ride, I start noticing a sound like ball bearings in a beer can. Not all the time, just at certain RPMs. Got home OK.

Sound started getting worse over the next couple weeks, and seemed to be coming from the primary. Only way I could "catch it" was again, certain RPMs. Didn't make sense if it was a drivetrain issue, why the tie to the engine speed.

Another week goes by, and now I can make it happen if I lean the bike to the left. At this point, I'm thinking my primary is getting ready to explode with this friggin' noise.

Made a call to the dealers in the area, being summer, the first available appointment was 3 weeks out. Great. So, I set myself down on a bucket next to the left side of the bike, determined to make sure it isn't something stupid. Turns out the bracket that holds the horn onto the jugs was loose.

Dang - felt stupid about that one.

Old 06-16-2010 | 09:16 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

I was just about to post the same type of question...I just keep telling myself its not a Honda

Old 06-16-2010 | 09:59 PM
oct1949
Club Member

one of the best ones yrs ago I remember was a friend who bought a new car, had a rattle from day one,,, took it in 3-4 times and then one of the wrenches handed him a pop bottle that had a note in it that read,,, ( U FOUND ME)...... it was hanging up real high with string behind the rear seat in the trunk..

Old 06-16-2010 | 10:03 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member

If it aint broke dont fix/touch it....Ridin HD's long enough to know a bad noise from a normal noise I guess...........

Old 06-16-2010 | 10:09 PM
Bombarde32
Cruiser

OMG yes. I had a slight rattle in the fender that came and went. Finally tracked it down to the clear plastic cover that sits over the turn signal and neutral lights. Was driving me BONKERS.

Old 06-17-2010 | 08:48 AM
bigstevex4
|
Tourer

Have a freind like this then shes always what was that to my bike. I love riding with her
fixed a rocker box leak (barley) on her bike that would have been months before i would have botherd with it on mine. tried to explain the definition of a leak. the military has a spec some thing like 3 drips in a certain time span less than and hour.

Old 06-17-2010 | 08:55 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

My engine sounds like a sewing machine...who cares?..runs fine.

Quick Reply: Are You one of those people?