General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are DMV Tests Unrealistic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:01 PM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Foodog
Don't know if this has been discussed before but I was reading another thread about the figure 8 included in the Ohio riding test. First off, what good is the test if you ride a Harley and borrow a 250 Rebel to take the test on? I cannot recall one instance in my years of riding when I needed to do a figure 8 in a small space or do a cone weave. So what if you have to put a foot down now and again? The alternative is falling over. I took the advanced rider MSF class and enjoyed learning to do the slow turns , friction zone, etc. But when taking an actual licensing test why not have more realistic, day to day situations. Can you turn right and left from a stop sign? Can you do a panic stop? Can you avoid or successfully run over an obstacle? Wet down a portion of the paving to see if you can handle starting and stopping in a rainy situation. I can understand a motor officer needing more finely honed skills but for the average rider it seems the tests are not very well designed.
We have to do the figure 8 here in MD as well. (Everyone hates that one) But we do have to do something like a panic stop. You have to get up to 20 mph and then stop within a 20 foot box. also we have to do 'panic' quick turns. you have to head directly at the instructor at 20 mph, then he raises either his left or right hand and you have to avoid him and recover into the cones that are 20 feet directly behind him.

As for the wet surface, i can see lots of people crashin on that test.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:09 PM
SoCalRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Fatboy_CT
I don't think the tests are hard enough. Look at all the tards getting motorcycle licenses dying cause of stupid ****.
+1
I'm astounded when I hear that someone has failed the riding test. If you can't ride the "lollipop", you shouldn't be on a bike. That goes for all driver's licenses. They're all to easy to get, the standards should be higher.

I took the riding test on the rigid, chopped Sporty I owned at the time. Aced it.

I heard Utah was considering a tiered licensing program for bikes. If you took the test on a 250cc or smaller, that's all you could ride. Ditto for a 25-650, and then there was the open class, 650cc or larger. Does anybody know if that passed? Used to be, when you started riding, you generally started on smaller bikes, 'cuz that's what you could afford. It's tightened up now, but for a long time easy credit allowed anybody to buy just about any bike they wanted. 18 year old kids were snatching up 135HP sport bikes, and older folks that hadn't ridden in 30 years, or ever for that matter, are jumping on 850# dressers. Dumb.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:15 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRoadGlide
+1
I'm astounded when I hear that someone has failed the riding test. If you can't ride the "lollipop", you shouldn't be on a bike. That goes for all driver's licenses. They're all to easy to get, the standards should be higher.
I totally agree...if you can't do a figure 8....stay home. There should be a minimum number of hours of time on a bike as well and the student riders should have to wear safety orange jumpsuits and ride Vespas until they can do figure 8's with ease. LOL....j/k.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:22 PM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foodog
what good is the test if you ride a Harley and borrow a 250 Rebel to take the test on?
I thought there was a state that had a graduated license (for lack of a better term). So for instance if you took your test on a 250 you were only licensed to ride a bike 250 and smaller. Take your test on an 800, then you are licensed to ride an 800 or lower. And on and on.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Fatboy_CT
I don't think the tests are hard enough. Look at all the tards getting motorcycle licenses dying cause of stupid ****.

+??? I agree! Problem is - even seasoned riders can still do stupid sh**!

I've been riding nearly non-stop since I was 12. It's been my passion my whole life. That said, I think the tests are ridiculously easy, even the figure 8's. But, I understand most cannot, or will not devote that much time to motorcycling. So I feel that somewhere between the US and far short of the Canadian tests would be practical, yet highly beneficial to most novice riders.

Another approach would be establishing a mindset that riding motorcycles, especially on US roads, is a potentially dangerous endeavor. And it is up to the rider to acquire the appropriate training before applying for a license (which it is).

Old 06-15-2010, 02:58 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The licensing test in California is absolutely ridiculous. You spend more time putting on your helmet and gloves than you do on the test itself.

Made my 28 yr old son (yes made, it's nice to know you still have some sort of control over your kids when they get older) take the MSF course b4 he went for his test. Will do the same with my 26 yr old also.

When I was was in the Marines the test on base was way more involved than the Cali test. For better or worse it would only put more knowledgeable (not experienced mind you) new riders on the road.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by obonaventure
I thought there was a state that had a graduated license (for lack of a better term). So for instance if you took your test on a 250 you were only licensed to ride a bike 250 and smaller. Take your test on an 800, then you are licensed to ride an 800 or lower. And on and on.
Washington state was a graduated license at one time. Don't know why they did away with it.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:11 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I took my test in 20* weather on an enduro. Go down, turn around, come back, stop here. End of test. Worked for me.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:12 PM
SoCalRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to use a little initiative and Google, but Utah does indeed have a graduated licensing system:

As of July 1, 2008, House Bill 72S1 repealed all M class licenses. New rules are now in place that require motorcycle riders to be restricted to riding a motorcycle based on the cc size of the motorcycle they are tested on. The three restrictions are:

* O = 90 cc or lower motorcycle

* 2 = 249 cc or lower motorcycle

* 3 = 649 cc or lower motorcycle

If you are tested on a motorcycle of 650 cc or greater, there will be no restrictions. You will be able to ride any size motorcycle.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I totally agree...if you can't do a figure 8....stay home. There should be a minimum number of hours of time on a bike as well and the student riders should have to wear safety orange jumpsuits and ride Vespas until they can do figure 8's with ease. LOL....j/k.
Hope I don't come across as a smart *** but I'm curious why the figure 8 should be a part of the test and how it relates to day to day riding. I cannot relate it to any real world situation. I sometimes do U turns after stopping at the mail box and needing to head back the way I came and I sometimes execute tight turns when pulling into a parking place. In either case if I felt my balance going I would put a foot down to steady the bike and continue on my way. U turns shouldn't be a part of the test though because as far as I know in most places they're illegal on a street. I'm not advocating an easier test but I think there are skills more important than doing a figure 8 inside a box.

Retards do indeed get motorcycle and car driving licenses. They would probably still be retards even if they passed a stringent test. I see people nearly every day totally disregard things that were in the licensing test.

Quick Reply: Are DMV Tests Unrealistic?