General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One year ago today, Heart attack!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Nikon D700
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One year ago today, Heart attack!

Exactly one year ago today, I woke up in a hospital bed after having two near fatal heart attacks. The day started out pretty normal, went for a ride with a friend. We stopped at her parents’ house after riding a few hours so she could introduce me to her parents. They wanted to know who she was riding with these days. After having a couple of beers, I could tell something was very, very wrong! Went inside laid down on the couch and proceeded to have the heart attack.
After an ambulance ride to the closest hospital and then a helicopter ride to the closest heart center, the docs got me back to where I needed to be. I ended up having a 100 percent blockage in the “widow maker” vein. My doc told me that people who have this usually end up dead by the time they hit the floor and that he was amazed that I was still here. A few hours after the first procedure, I ended up having a second heart attack. I was told that this one was due to the trauma of the first heart attack. Again, they got me back on track and a few days later I was out of the hospital and on the mend.
During the past year, I have retired from my job at the request of my doctors, dumped a lot of stress due to the drama that others wanted to create in my life and married the woman who never left my side during all of it. I guess I am only trying to say that we never know how much time we have here on earth and that we better enjoy it while we are here. Every time I go for a ride now I find that I value each and every minute of it and I try to apply that same thought to everything else in my life.
I like reading these threads and contribute my two cents every once in a while. Some of these threads are really good humor. Wave, don’t wave. What to wear or what not to wear, Poser, not a Poser. Hey it’s all good. Everyone in this forum is different and that is just fine. That is what makes the world go around. Just have a good time!
As for me, I am just trying to make each day count as if it were my last! Every time someone out there is trying to start drama in my life, I just take a second and determine if it is worth my time and more often than not, it isn’t.
Have a good ride!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:49 AM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'More power to your elbow' (as we say in blighty)....

Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 AM
sparkyvtx
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain .
i also am recovering from a double bypass of that same vain 4 weeks on the mend i had a stint 1st same place didnt work life is way to short to let stuff bother you good luck in your life and love everyday that you get it really could be your last.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

I went thru a bunch of medical issues years ago,and decided then that most of the things in life are not worth worrying about and that ya need to LIVE..

Old 06-15-2010, 08:27 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Great post and don't think it cant happen to YOU no matter what your age..

last Wednesday my 30/YO nephew had a heart attack and they found a 95%
blockage, the kid is skinny and in pretty damn good shape but i guess his
body must produce cholesterol, he now has a medicated stent and seems to be
on the mend. hopefully no permanent damage was done.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:28 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

glad for ya...happy anniversary!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Dragan
Tourer

good for you! Congratulations...
For me it wasn't the heart initially, it was cancer. June 5 2006 I underwent 17 hours of surgery to remove 40% of my jaw, most of the inside of my mouth and then rebuild everything. After the surgery was over and I was in recovery, I had a heart attack as well and spent 10 days in a coma.
This June 5, my wife and I celebrated by having a really nice steak in Mortons in San Francisco. It changes your perspective on a lot of things...I don't sweat the small stuff very much anymore, and its all Small stuff

Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 AM
deanp1964
Road Master

great post.

thank you for the best thing I've read in a while.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Life is too short to sweat the small crap. The problem for most is figuring out just how much is really small. I am thankful for everything I have and the people I have around me. I still struggle from time to time to appreciate it all. I see too many heart attacks not to.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:53 AM
rmckenney12
3rd Gear

It has been 2.5 years since my Heart attack got 3 medicated stents and just had an ICD unit installed and some other plumbing done about a month ago, and i cherish every day i have now for u never know. My doctor said my 2 wheeling days are over but i will not give up i asked about a trike and he said as long as its not requiring a lot of balance. So i guess i will be spending a lot of time on the forums. gathering info about trikes . I was also told no more work about 6 months ago.

if there are any members out there that have heart conditions and ride Trikes would love to talk to u about it.

Quick Reply: One year ago today, Heart attack!