General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One year ago today, Heart attack!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragan
good for you! Congratulations...
For me it wasn't the heart initially, it was cancer. June 5 2006 I underwent 17 hours of surgery to remove 40% of my jaw, most of the inside of my mouth and then rebuild everything. After the surgery was over and I was in recovery, I had a heart attack as well and spent 10 days in a coma.
This June 5, my wife and I celebrated by having a really nice steak in Mortons in San Francisco. It changes your perspective on a lot of things...I don't sweat the small stuff very much anymore, and its all Small stuff
I was just the opposite. Heart attack 3 years ago and then diagnosed with Leukemia (uncureable CLL) 1 1/2 years ago. I became hyper focused on my family (wife, kids and grandkids) first and my bucket list second. Helped all three of my kids buy houses within a half mile of my house so I see them every day. I've been sky diving, went to a nascar racing scholol, did fighter pilot for a day, went to Scotland on a two week golf trip with my best buddies and I'm taking the police motor school for civilians in two weeks. Two things left om my bucket list. See my 3rd kid get married (next spring) and play golf at Augusta (probably never happen but something to hope for). You don't really realize how precious, good and short life is until you really know the end isn't that far away. You get a real understanding of what the "small stuff" is.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:53 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy your'e still alive anniversary. My partner here at work had a heart attack at age 46. Until then, I didn't know that stress is a major cause of heart attacks. My daughter works at the PCU at the hospital told me most heart attacks occur on a Monday morning.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Lambo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your here to tell about it!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations!!!
Thanks for reminding me/us that life is fleeting! More so then we think in some cases.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM
jdj308
Stage I
Default Heart problems

Started having chest pains several years ago-went to 4 different Doctors and had every kind of stress tests available, nothing bad showed up, doctors would change blood pressure medicine each time. Nov 2008 on the way home from offshore started hurting again-called the wife to line up a different doctor, when we got to hospital he did a heart cath-10 blockages-ended up in surgery with 5 bypasses. I asked why all the stress test never showed anything, I don't think they ever figured this out! Made 1 more year offshore and then they put me out to pasture. Plenty of riding time now. Like you I have learned what to appreciate in life.

Take care

Old 06-15-2010, 03:03 PM
casper gomez
Tourer

thanks for sharing your stories guys. rick, i kinda welled up a little reading yours.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:13 PM
OldTimer
Advanced

Had my heart attack 14 months ago. My right coronary artery was 100% blocked. Was told that while I was having a stent put in....they had to defib me 4 times.
(I wondered what the burn marks were on my chest when I woke up in my room!)

You definitely have a changed outlook on life. I'm still working, but not as hard as I was. Bought a new bike and had to wait a few months before the heart doc would let me ride again.

You have to live life to its fullest....enjoy the here and now.

OT

Old 06-15-2010, 03:23 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is probably one of the better threads I have seen on the forum.

2001 - 2 stents rt. mid coronary artery, 2009 1 additional stent.

Stress is a real pisser and causes a lot of physical problems. Heart disease and type II diabetes. I know, I ended up with both back in 2001.

Life is way too short to worry about the small crap. I agree completely with the OP. You have to live like everyday is your last (not to sound morbid).

Congrats on your anniversary, hope you have many more to come. Just know you aren't alone.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:25 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELL SAID! Live on & Ride on. Hope you have many more.

Oh yea, THANKS for the reminders.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:37 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer

what they all said...and good to hear you're here to talk about it..

yeah its not like there is an infinite number of good days ride in ones time here..

use em wisely...and many happy miles to all.....

Quick Reply: One year ago today, Heart attack!