General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohio Motorcycle License Road Test help

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Passed my test a few years back on a big softail. Flunked the first time getting through the cones cause I hadn't figured out the trick, don't use the throttle or front brake. Adjust your forward motion with a combination of the clutch and light pressure on rear brake only. I went to the testing station after hours and practiced. They had painted dots where the cones go and I just practiced like you could in the areas that need improvement. If your local HD offers the riding course, you could also go there and practice on their painted surface. Hope this helps with your problem.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

passed my test on my street bob and had no deductions... where in southwest ohio? i'm also from the area. my suggestion is to go to your local bmv on a sunday and ride the actually course. that what i did and most of my buddies.

also there is no figure eight, but i think he is refering to the u turn portion of the test. take it really slow and you should be fine. or take it on a scooter, but you will have a smaller box to make the u turn in, but you should be just fine on your hd! i just about made it thru the smaller box on my street bob. also, if you pass everything else i dont think that is enough deductions to fail...

Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 AM
fladawg01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test

I used my SuperGlide in Ohio when I got my license. I figured might as well do it with the bike I'm going to ride. Hit one cone with my pipes, that was it. Passed first go round.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:42 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just remeber that any bike under 250cc's has to do the U-turn in a samller space so keep that in mind. I took my test on a GS250 sport bike and passed the first time, but I did fail the U-turn part since the 250 sport bike was just as long as a 600 and turned the same. I went over to the DMV and practiced at night and knew I was going to fail that part and even told the tester that since the bike could not make that turn in the 250cc section. A scooter is an awesome bike to take the test on for sure.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:21 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

[quote=06Fatboy_CT;6862973]
Originally Posted by Bombarde32
+1!!!! I saw a guy take the Ohio test on an electra glide. I had to laugh because I knew how it was going to go before he even started.

QUOTE]

How'd it end? Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99KKx7cB-Ok
The next time you want to post a video of me riding, ask my permission first

Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 AM
arsenal21
Advanced

Wow. That officer is impressive. But back on topic...

Last year I took the Basic Motorcycle safety course. I rode a Suzuki GV 250 didn't have too much issue with the figure 8 in practice, but did put my foot down once during the test. I still passed. I really didn't care what bike I chose for the course. But i know for a fact if I would have ridden the Yamaha TW 200 they had I wouldn't have to had put my foot down.

But I also have been riding dirt bikes since I was 12 years old and took the class for an easy way to get my endorsement and an insurance discount.

But best information I can provide is practice makes perfect.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 AM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took the Rider's Edge class a month ago and the Box figure 8 is not counted very high in the testing. If you go outside the lines twice and fail it terribly, the max deduction was 8 points and you are allowed 27 points before you fail the class if I remember correctly. I got a total deduction of six points on all tests and three came from the box figure 8 due to going outside the line by about 3 -4 inches. I think my other three were for going too slow in the curve. Just keep looking over your shoulder and looking up, make sure you use the ENTIRE box, don't short side yourself and not use all of the box. Good Luck!

Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Ohrider
Advanced

If you passed the Riders Edge course then you should have your card to get your endorsement....like others, I am confused. From what I saw in the Riders Edge course I took it is nearly impossible to fail. We did have a lady that was on the ground about as much as she was on the bike and she still passed.....although, the instructor told her she needed a LOT of work prior to riding on the road....she knew and understood. She was only going through the class in case she ever had to get her husbands bike home and a MC endorsement was a life goal of hers.

As far as the figure 8....dont look down!!!....crank that head over your shoulder and look where you want to go...which is right inside the box....envision the "8" in your mind BEFORE going into the box...know where you want to turn and LOOK THERE...as you approach that turn LOOK for the next place you want to be, not where you are....hope that makes sense.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:42 PM
italian biker
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I took the Ohio sponsored msf for 25.00, passed and automatically can get the license I didn't know Rider's edge would count the same way. One thing I noticed of a lot of riders, when it came to the figure 8 part of the test, they weren't using all the space granted to them in the box, they all wanted to make their turns really tight. I used all of the space allowed to do the figure 8.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:44 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the key to that figure 8 was mentioned above crank your head over your shoulder and look where you want to go and you will go there if you look down or you look in the corner your trying to take your not going to make it and if you do its going to be oh so close. It is amazing how slow and how tight of a turn you can take your bike before you really really really need to put a foot down or just fall over. Most people if you watch them in the 8 put there foot down and don't need to its more of a reaction than the bike needing your foot on the ground keep looking over your shoulder and feather the throttle and brake as needed.