General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohio Motorcycle License Road Test help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 PM
06Fatboy_CT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Bombarde32;6862354]+1!!!! I saw a guy take the Ohio test on an electra glide. I had to laugh because I knew how it was going to go before he even started.

QUOTE]

How'd it end? Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99KKx7cB-Ok

Old 06-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Enforcer419
Cruiser

I took the test through the MSF Ohio Basic Rider course in 2008. I'm 6' 4" and 300 lbs was on a Honda Nighthawk 250. First turn to the left I went out side of the box. Just had a couple points deducted but still passed the test. I had never rode prior to that class. Keep your feet up and look where you want to go. Good Luck

Old 06-14-2010, 11:44 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i got a cpl questions if you took the riders edge class or state of ohio MSF class and passed it then you should not have to go to the BMV and take a riding test if you take the ohio MSF class you get a card from them at the end of the test saying you passed and all you have to do is take that into the BMV hand it to them and they give you your license no additional testing so iam a little confused????

As for the figure 8 find any place where the class is given and go there any week night or day and just keep practicing and if you have a big bike its a little harder but doable or borrow or rent a small 250 its like riding a moped thru it. With practice you can do it on a bagger or dyna or softail or moped.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:36 AM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Enforcer419
I took the test through the MSF Ohio Basic Rider course in 2008... on a Honda Nighthawk 250.
Ditto. A lot of my friends did as well. At Polaris school.

Anyway, you practice on one of their bikes. And the examiner comes to the site and does the testing. you ride their bikes for your test.

Small bikes, easy to handle.

Link...
http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/brcschedule.htm

Old 06-15-2010, 03:54 AM
russell6hp
Tourer

Originally Posted by T K Glider
Look where you want to go and practice and rent a scooter....
That is a true story, strange as it sounds. My brother in law took it on a scooter cause he couldn't do it on a his Honda Sabre.

Even if you pass it on a scooter, you still need to develop the skills to do it on a full sized bike before you hit the road in full force.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:41 AM
bks6721
Tourer

haven't seen anyone else mention it so here goes..
I had a hard time at first with the same thing. Shift your butt over a couple inches in the saddle and you can lean the bike a little more. Let the bike lean, keep yourself upright. You can scrape the pegs at low speed doing it that way as long as you shift your weight to the outside.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:07 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can't get past the test with the card you got from the riders edge class, move to another state (that does allow you to become certified with the class), get your licenses and move back, Ohio is a licenses transfer state (meaning they accept endorsements for other states).

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=oh

Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I took the MSF course, which means I didn't have to take the road test in KY, but people always say to borrow as small a bike as possible for the road test. the other alternative is to transfer your license to Kentucky, get the motorcycle endorsement by your MSF card from Rider's Edge (did you get one?) then transfer back to Ohio.

Last edited by brenn; 06-15-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 AM
jackcornman
Stage III

There is no figure 8 as part of the ohio motorcycle skills test given at the Ohio BMV.

Here is a link to the exact test with dimensions

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...torcycle-test/

Old 06-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The card they gave you at the end of the riders edge class is your license. Just take it up to DMV they'll give you a "Novice" status. Which means you have to wear a helmet 1 year. Dont worry about the figure 8 right now. If your ever out riding and find you need to do a 20' figure 8 go find some better roads.

Heres a funny story about me getting my license. I went in to take the temp test no a worry in the world. Sat down at the computer and immediately started getting them wrong. Came down to I had to get the last question right. Hit the answer ,,,, INCORRECT! Yep I failed the frickin temp test! They give you multiple choice and just about every choice will work,, you just gotta figure out which choice they suggest. Only way I could figure it out was read theyre book. I went back only missed 1 question outta 40. I asked the guy at the desk how many people fail that test he said probably close to 75%! Yes 75% and I believe him.

Quick Reply: Ohio Motorcycle License Road Test help