General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Chroming" plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:52 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Actual chrome is only able to be applied to a metallic surface like steel or aluminum because it's based on electrical conductivity.

Your only choice is the spray-on chrome. I watched some vids on the process several weeks ago. Google "spectra chrome".

Although that was true at one time, it no longer is. There has been other processes which allow actual metal chrome to be applied to plastic. The site I posted uses a system which is applied over a primer paint layer, with the application being done while washing the primed surface with water.

The page I posted about Magic Chrome, looks like spray paint, and is applied in the same maner with the same tools/sprayguns. If you look on their home page, you will see their other process, with the water rinsed system. This system uses different equipment in the process but is still layed on between the primer paint and clear coat layers...

Here's a video on their main page...
http://www.sprayonchrome.com/index2.html

Check it out, pretty interesting. There are others also...

Old 06-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,224 Likes on 5,852 Posts

Actual chrome is only able to be applied to a metallic surface like steel or aluminum

Originally Posted by CroK
Although that was true at one time, it no longer is.

Automakers have been chroming plastic since the 60's...all "metric" bikes have tons of chromed plastic

Old 06-15-2010, 07:26 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

many hobby shops carry very effective chrome coatings for plastic.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 AM
harleyriv
Road Master

Actual chrome is only able to be applied to a metallic surface like steel or aluminum because it's based on electrical conductivity.

Your only choice is the spray-on chrome. I watched some vids on the process several weeks ago. Google "spectra chrome".
Actually you can plate directly on plastics in the traditional way. ABS is the polymer of choice as it gives a very good surface finish to plate onto. ABS is also used because the butadiene molecules on the surface of the material can be chemically removed. This removal leaves microscopic undercuts in the surface of the ABS and this acts as a very good key onto which the first layer can be attached .

Most plated plastics parts on your bike will be moulded from ABS.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:04 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Check these guys out, I saw some of their plated plastic at a show ... http://www.fini-finish.com/

Old 06-15-2010, 08:31 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

How is that possible? (yeah I know several have explained but it's not computing in my head at this time.)

Chrome attaches itself through an electro-magnetic process. Last I checked, unless it has enough metallic content, dipping a piece of plastic into a tank of copper...nickel...chromium should not adhere.

I've seen the spray on finishes on line. That Spectra-chrome looks kind of cool. Check out some of the photos in their gallery. Although some of the sportbikes they show are what I'd call "way over the top" and not a nice looking ride at all.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:40 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

How is that possible? (yeah I know several have explained but it's not computing in my head at this time.)

Chrome attaches itself through an electro-magnetic process. Last I checked, unless it has enough metallic content, dipping a piece of plastic into a tank of copper...nickel...chromium should not adhere.

I've seen the spray on finishes on line. That Spectra-chrome looks kind of cool. Check out some of the photos in their gallery. Although some of the sportbikes they show are what I'd call "way over the top" and not a nice looking ride at all.
Isn't technology grand? I had to see it to believe it and believe me, the plastic parts look good.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

There are two plating process.........electroplating, which is for metal and electroless plating, which is for plastic. ABS plastic has been electroless plated for several decades. I used to sell ABS for the largest ABS raw material company and sold millions of pounds to manufacturers of plumbing products who plated the ABS parts.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:51 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could ask Honda how they do it since most of the chrome is on plastic LOL!

Old 06-15-2010, 11:58 AM
harleyriv
Road Master

Originally Posted by harleydavis
There are two plating process.........electroplating, which is for metal and electroless plating, which is for plastic. ABS plastic has been electroless plated for several decades. I used to sell ABS for the largest ABS raw material company and sold millions of pounds to manufacturers of plumbing products who plated the ABS parts.
Actually this is also inaccurate... See below:

''.....Due to the chrome plating process requiring the part to be electrically conductive, a series of steps are required before the chrome can be deposited onto the surface of the product.
The first step to be carried out is to etch the surface with a chemical so that the subsequent layers of nickel and chromium will adhere. A large proportion of plastic parts that will be chrome plated will be moulded from ABS as this gives a very good surface finish to plate onto. ABS is also used because the butadiene molecules on the surface of the material can be chemically removed. This removal of butadiene molecules leave microscopic undercuts in the surface of the ABS and this acts as a very good key onto which the first layer can be attached .
The next process that will be carried out is to attach a layer of nickel (with a catalyst) onto the surface of the part. This layer of nickel will be what becomes electrically conductive and allows the chrome to be electroplated to it. This layer is applied by means of dipping the product. The key that was put into the surface of the part will ensure the nickel remains attached when the part is removed from the bath.
Once the layer of nickel has dried the part can be plated by electroplating. This involves applying a negative charge to the part being plated and dipping it into a solution of the metal it is to be plated with, which has a positive charge. The positively charged metallic ions are attracted to the negatively charged part and once they come into contact with the part they revert back to their metallic form again. The part is removed from the solution and left to cool.
To ensure a good quality finish after chrome plating a part must be moulded to a very high quality. Any defects that are on the surface of the part after injection moulding will stand out after plating. Also, any stresses in the moulded components will show up as a defect when chrome plated. Unlike other finishing methods chrome plating does not fill in scratches or other defects. Instead the chrome will form a thinner layer over the defects and, in effect, magnify the problem. For this reason rigorous quality checks are carried out on all products so that money is not wasted plating a part that has a defect.....''

Quick Reply: "Chroming" plastic?