General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you get gas????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Do you get gas????

No No No!!!! Not that kind!!!!

Do you get gas at only the name brand stations? Any good or bad luck with Costco or other no name stations? I tend to stick with the name stations in my area like Chevron, Union 76 and Valero. What are your thoughts?

How about additives? My dealer has an additive that according to the label is only legal for motorcycles, supposedly it was developed for the rocket fuel industry. Is that bs or is there something to it?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All i know is when I run cheap gas in my 2005 jeep wrangler it pings like crazy .....so that tells me Gas is not Gas. So for the bike I buy 93 from any name brand gas station. when I put 87 in my jeep from any name brand gas station it runs great , sometimes I have no choice and put ther cheap 87 in and wow the pinging starts

Old 06-13-2010, 09:14 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we can only get 92 out here and i only run it, for a few cents why chance it chevron has the best

Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 PM
dsiltman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only run name brand 93 in my bikes.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Bombarde32
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gonzy
No No No!!!! Not that kind!!!!

Do you get gas at only the name brand stations? Any good or bad luck with Costco or other no name stations? I tend to stick with the name stations in my area like Chevron, Union 76 and Valero. What are your thoughts?

How about additives? My dealer has an additive that according to the label is only legal for motorcycles, supposedly it was developed for the rocket fuel industry. Is that bs or is there something to it?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Gas is gas. When it leaves the refineries it's all pretty much the same courtesy of tightly controlled gov't specs. Where it changes is at the terminal rack. That is where different brands mix in various additives. I personally don't see much value/difference but hey, to each their own.
Non-branded stations are supplied with gas from the same refineries as branded stations but may not mix in the various detergents and what not that name brands use. It's not like Wally World owns refineries ... yet.

I'm gonna call "BS/Snake Oil" on rocket fuel additives in your motorcycle. Anything at a station has to be legal for cars. I wouldn't dump anything extra into your tank.

Main thing is get the right octane!!!!!

But hey ... I only work at a refinery so I may be wrong.

Only 'gotcha' is that different regions require different blends b/c of EPA mandates for pollution and what not. So gas in one area may be a little different than another area. But all gas inside one region should be roughly equal.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 PM
eisterd
Road Captain

brand stores get gas from the same terminal at the tank farm each time so they are usually consistant. the ones that get loads every day or every other will have the freshest gas odviously. stick with a busy brand station

Old 06-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Bombarde32
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
we can only get 92 out here and i only run it, for a few cents why chance it chevron has the best
Hmph. Marathon and Speedway have the best gas.

Of course ... I work for them and they're a great company so I'm kinda partial

Old 06-13-2010, 09:20 PM
mdaycb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I only try to use Chevron, or maybe Shell if there is not a Chevron close, it seems I get better mileage with the name brand gas. In my opinion I think its the additives, what leads me to believe that is, I know all gas that comes into the city, comes from one pipeline from the refinery, I see all kinds of gas trucks at the storage facility, name brands and generics, so it must be the additives that they put in the truck when they fill from the storage tanks. I have no proof though, just the conclusion I came to from seeing when I drive by there everyday.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

They don't post octane ratings here off base. I've got some buddies that carry booster for filling up on $6/gallon Korean gas, but I haven't had any issues. On base low test is 92, med 95 & high is 98, I haven't noticed any difference in performance or any pinging with any of them. My motor is stock though, I'd imagine if some performance work has been done it'd be much more important to run the correct octane. All stateside fuels, regardless of octane level, have the same additives given the "brand" you choose.

Originally Posted by magnum629c
All i know is when I run cheap gas in my 2005 jeep wrangler it pings like crazy .....so that tells me Gas is not Gas. So for the bike I buy 93 from any name brand gas station. when I put 87 in my jeep from any name brand gas station it runs great , sometimes I have no choice and put ther cheap 87 in and wow the pinging starts
From the factory a 2005 4.0L is designed to run on 87, anything higher is just a waste of money. I've never run anything but low test in my Jeep, not once did has it pinged.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:38 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

87 is what the manual calls for...I sometimes use 92 but if I can only get 87...so be it.

Quick Reply: Do you get gas????