Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you get gas????

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:35 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I primarily get Kwik Trip gas. It's a Wisconsin company so I like to support them. I usually avoid Citgo gas. I like to run 93 octane or highest available.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

Gasoline, is gasoline, is gasoline BUT the additive packages and in particular the detergent additives are what can make a difference. Using low detergent fuel over the long run can and does allow a mixture of Olfins (wax) and dirt from the "Puff Back" from the last cylinder to fire when an engine stops and rocks back slightly to accumulate in the intake manifold. Not a big deal unless you are using port fuel injection (like HD). Over time the accumulation of these deposits on an injector will cause the engine to run leaner and thus start harder (particularly in cold ambient temperatures), idle rougher, hesitate off idle, and loose top end performance. Using a major name brand fuel usually guarantees sufficient detergents to keep this accumulation from forming. In the 80's the Auto Manufacturers released Technical Service Bulletins that specified only certain brands of fuel if you wanted to keep your warranty in effect for your fuel injectors. I worked for one OEM at the time and within a week or so of the TSB release almost every name plate gasoline company added a sufficient detergent load to Regular fuel to keep the problem from developing, and premium fuel usually has enough of a detergent load to s-l-o-w-l-y clean somewhat plugged injectors.