Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you get gas????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:51 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run anything that I can get 91-93 octane, never had a problem. All the gas around here is 10% ethanol. Many years ago my old 93 GMC ran noticably better on Chevron. I may try some in the bike next time to see if it makes any difference.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:03 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tend to run brand gas, with the higher octane. However, I just found out that not every county auditor certifies the octane in the gas. You may want to check that it's done where you buy gas.

If you don't by BP, then how are they going to be able to pay damages to the folks in the Gulf coast area that have had their livelyhoods threatened??

Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 PM
chromedome09
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SG 1
I run anything that I can get 91-93 octane, never had a problem. All the gas around here is 10% ethanol. Many years ago my old 93 GMC ran noticably better on Chevron. I may try some in the bike next time to see if it makes any difference.
+1 I did some work with the company double check.. they do all the pump service around these parts. they do tank inspections, fuel inspections, pump inspections ect.. If the manager is doing his service right (most due).. The gas is going to be fine. Timing might help though.. worst time is supposedly right after the tanker has filled the tank.. (stirs things up in the tank).. while the filters catch most of the stuff, somethings like water can still get by in small amounts ,,, so I was told anyways (didn't do a study on it or anything like that,, or have a career in the study of gas)..

Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Bombarde32
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BennieSG
<edit out> I also think the BP had it's chance to control the spill. Time to let people who know how to do it get it done and send the bill to BP
Who are these magical other people? The entire industry, large and small is already involved behind the scenes.

Government doesn't have the technology or expertise. They need to stick to clean up and making sure BP pays the bills.

The real problem is industry didn't prepare realistic response plans for something that far below the surface and the government didn't call them on it during the permit process. Nor do I think they could have. It's never happened before. There's no way they could have even known all the technical challenges to stopping a deep water blowout let alone prepare a realistic response plan. It's one of the risks we took in letting industry drill that far out ...

Now that a blowout happened you let the experts in figure out a fix (that would be BP and the rest of the industry) and deal with the fallout afterward.

My 2 cents ... sorry for going WAY off topic. Just get really frustrated when people outside the oil industry think things happen just because of greed, or incompetence, or whatever.

BTW - if you want a *real* answer to any question on the industry give me a PM. I'll try not to tow the company line or the political one.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:30 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

used to like BP... not any more....

Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Nick1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ja57
valero is what hugo is changing the citgo name to.
no sir...citgo is run by hugu chavez. Valero is an American owned company based in san Antonio Texas. Check your facts.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:44 AM
Fortyeightgirly
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always been partial to Mobil.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Bombarde32
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nick1
no sir...citgo is run by hugu chavez. Valero is an American owned company based in san Antonio Texas. Check your facts.
Nick1 is correct. Citgo is the American arm of PDVSA - Venezuela's public company. Valero was a mid-sized refiner until about 8 or 10 years ago where they went on a buying spree to become a very large refinery. I believe their focus as of late has been on increasing their retail network.

At the same time many of the 'super majors' such as BP and Exxon have focused on selling off their gas stations to private jobbers. The jobber owns/runs the station but flies a certain companies flag and buys their gas. The thought being gas retail is such a low margin, time consuming business it's not worth the majors time and energy to manage it.
Valero and Speedway stand out as companies going in exactly the opposite direction which I applaud for reasons I won't waste space on here.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Pappy13
Advanced

Cabbage does it to me every time.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Kumite
Tourer

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers
Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.
In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.
Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.
TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum