Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you get gas????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 04:51 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BennieSG
I see you live in SoCA. I used to work for an oil shipping company and we used to transport CARB gas from the BP refinery in Cherry Point WA, and deliver it to Conoco, Shell, Chevron and sometimes Valero. Point is, BP sells a lot of gas to other companies. So even when people think thay are buying only one brand, truth is you are all buying the same gas.
Yeah, this thread has been educational to say the least. I'm certainly not out to harm the messenger. I sure hope BP gets the spill under control - quick. Seeing what's happening to wildlife and the poor folks who've lost their lively hood nauseates me, as I'm sure it has most others.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:53 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BennieSG
I see you live in SoCA. I used to work for an oil shipping company and we used to transport CARB gas from the BP refinery in Cherry Point WA, and deliver it to Conoco, Shell, Chevron and sometimes Valero. Point is, BP sells a lot of gas to other companies. So even when people think thay are buying only one brand, truth is you are all buying the same gas.
Yeah, this thread has been educational to say the least. I'm certainly not out to harm the messenger. I sure hope BP gets the spill under control - quick. Seeing what's happening to wildlife and the poor folks who've lost their livelihood nauseates me, as I'm sure it has most others.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:16 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clicker01
Yeah, this thread has been educational to say the least. I'm certainly not out to harm the messenger. I sure hope BP gets the spill under control - quick. Seeing what's happening to wildlife and the poor folks who've lost their lively hood nauseates me, as I'm sure it has most others.
I hear ya. By no means do I support BP. But just want it to be known from someone who sees it that all the companies are selling there gas to each other. I also think the BP had it's chance to control the spill. Time to let people who know how to do it get it done and send the bill to BP

Old 06-15-2010, 05:42 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,257 Posts

I use Shell or Marathon 93, don't pay attention to anybody else here, I'm the only one who knows best.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:42 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default premium

Originally Posted by Gliden
It may be overkill but I only dump name brand High Test in my Harley when I have the choice...preferably Sunoco.

When I'm on the road and dont have a choice......any sighting for gas is a welcome one..
This is my basic approach--premium fuel for my Harley (specified in the manual). Around here we usually have a choice of 87, 89, 91 octane. 91 goes in my bike, and 87 is just fine in my Tundra V-8 4X4.

I have a few gas credit cards from major companies so, for convenience, use these. But when trekking off the grid you gas up where you find it! At around 120 miles I'll start looking for a station, rather than chance running out, even though I am averaging 45mpg (my bike has a 5.1-gallon tank).

I'd like to point out that, in over 50 years of driving, in most of the states and even in rural Canada, Mexico and Baja California, I have never had a problem which I could blame on buying poor quality gas (high-compression engines pinging on regular notwithstanding). I think people have many more problems caused by old gas and condensation in tanks not kept near full. Gas loses its' octane or cetane rating as it ages.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:49 PM
HillBilly73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run 93 Octane from whatever pump is the cheapest. Never had a issue. It is of my opinion that pretty much all the gas is the same anymore there are standards that regulate them all, big corps just give you that beware if you shop elsewhere fear to keep you buying from them. Kinda like the MOCO with buy from us or you will void the warranty ETC ,ETC.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:13 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

My 2002 Ford F250 Super Duty seems to run on anything and any octane. Never skips a beat or pings. I bump the octane when I am planning on hauling something. Other then that I just run regular gas through it. Now my wifes Olds Cutlass seems to only like Shell gas. I didn't believe it until we took it on vacation one year. So her car get a regular dose of Shell gas to make it happy. The Road King also runs on anything. I feed it a steady diet of high octane to make it happy.

I know there are comments all over the place about gas and what's in it. There are many more people in the know then I am. All I know is that I run what runs best, and I am good with that.

Jim

Old 06-15-2010, 08:24 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dstegjas
My 2002 Ford F250 Super Duty seems to run on anything and any octane. Never skips a beat or pings. I bump the octane when I am planning on hauling something. Other then that I just run regular gas through it. Now my wifes Olds Cutlass seems to only like Shell gas. I didn't believe it until we took it on vacation one year. So her car get a regular dose of Shell gas to make it happy. The Road King also runs on anything. I feed it a steady diet of high octane to make it happy.

I know there are comments all over the place about gas and what's in it. There are many more people in the know then I am. All I know is that I run what runs best, and I am good with that.

Jim
I had a '99 F350 that I used to put everything in for gas. Old gas from lawnmowers and snow throwers, even gas/oil mix from 2 strokes. never cared, just ran like a champ and never broke down. Have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 with a hemi now, and it only likes mid grade. Oh how I miss my 350.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Romark
Road Master

The manual in my wife's new car states to use only branded stations and high octane. Must be something to it,

Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Auckland
Tourer

I only buy gas from places that have seperate nozzles for each grade of fuel. My bike calls for 91-94. Has to be Name brand also. So that limits me to Exxon and Hess.

Quick Reply: Do you get gas????