Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you get gas????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:42 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It just won't be BP.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Eight Songs
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gas is gas

I have to support bombarde32 on this one...as some one who works in the industry he is very correct. All gas stations in a particular region will usually all get there fuel from the same refinery or " rack " as we call it. If we use regular octane fuel for example, no matter what truck pulls up to the rack, Shell, Chevron, Texaco...what ever...all of the fuel is exactly the same. Its the " injectors " that put in the specific companies additives into each and every load of fuel. Shell truck pulls up it gets Shell additives added to it as it is pumped into the truck...Chevron truck pulls up it gets its companies additive added to it. Same gas no matter what truck or company shows up. By going to a name brand place you will always get the same fuel with the same additives which can be good thing. If you go to a place like a mom and pop place you will never know what you get as places like that usually buy there fuel from whomever is having the best price that day so you will get a mixture of many types of fuel in those tanks. I would be less interested in who uses what brand of gas and more interested in which HD riders use the exact type of octane level that there owners manual says to use...or do they go with the mith that the higher Octane is always better....? I put high Octane in the Ducati cause the engine is built for that level and is stated in the manual. I put regular in the Mazda as that is what is stated to use for that. So what do people use...what the manual says or something else ???

Old 06-13-2010, 10:04 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikergirl40
It just won't be BP.
Amen to that!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:12 PM
fladawg01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas

I run 92 or 93 depending on what station offers what. As far as additives, I use Lucas Fuel injector cleaner. It really acts as a top end lubricant and seem to keep much of the ticking and top end noise down. I run about 1-2 ounces to a tank. Check my plugs once a month to see how they're burning and they have been equally clean which means both cyliners are running similar.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Rockrspud
Road Warrior

I run Shell premeum(Vpower) my engine build wont let me run anything else(my engine Pings bad)...I took a ride from Las Vegas to Oatman AZ and Chevron was the gas I had to run half way there and all the way back.
I can tell the differance when I switch fuel.
It reminds me of a hotrod ford 302 engine I had,high lope cam 202 heads it was bored out 60 over,that engine pinged on all gas that was under 92 octane(above 92 it ran even better).
I do beleve that all gas comes from the same place but if your engine is built then it will matter what gas you use.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:30 PM
du510
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bombarde32
Gas is gas. When it leaves the refineries it's all pretty much the same courtesy of tightly controlled gov't specs. Where it changes is at the terminal rack. That is where different brands mix in various additives. I personally don't see much value/difference but hey, to each their own.
Non-branded stations are supplied with gas from the same refineries as branded stations but may not mix in the various detergents and what not that name brands use. It's not like Wally World owns refineries ... yet.

I'm gonna call "BS/Snake Oil" on rocket fuel additives in your motorcycle. Anything at a station has to be legal for cars. I wouldn't dump anything extra into your tank.

Main thing is get the right octane!!!!!

But hey ... I only work at a refinery so I may be wrong.

Only 'gotcha' is that different regions require different blends b/c of EPA mandates for pollution and what not. So gas in one area may be a little different than another area. But all gas inside one region should be roughly equal.

100% Spot On. RBOB is RBOB!

You work at a refinery (coulda figured that by your knowledge, plus the location in Baton Rouge); I work the ships (Tankers, not boxes). Same deal, I imagine my ship has been to a dock near you.

But ya, spot on answer. 100% right.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 PM
du510
Tourer

Originally Posted by clicker01
Amen to that!

While it may feel good to say that, it really doesn't make a lick of difference. BP really wont be making any money off your gasoline purchase unless they were the ones that sold it into your local tank farm. The stuff in the ground tanks at your local BP-Branded Gas Station is very unlikely to be of BP ownership; the only people you're hurting would be the Mom&Pop that own the shop.

But hey, still feels good, right.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Nick1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chevron texaco valero...all good, never citgo...F@## hugo chavez!!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Slopneck
Road Master

87 in my car. 93 in my bike.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:38 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,153 Likes on 1,811 Posts

I only use branded gas in my bike, and for that matter, my truck. The gasoline is the same when it comes from the refinery, but it is the additives added when the the truck is loaded that make the difference.

Quick Reply: Do you get gas????