General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ca, bikers alert! The rest of you remember,

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:02 AM
1320go
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile West coast?

I must disagree with "the rest will follow" statement. Ca.has a lot more crap than the 49 free states.I dont know how normal people can stand to live there.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:17 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

It's soooooo good to live in "FLY OVER" country!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320go
I dont know how normal people can stand to live there.
We don't live there.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:45 AM
plumbertom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny How people don't realize that the standards set for emissions by the feds and your state are often adopted from Ca. standards a few years down the road. Usually after Ca proves that they can be met and enforced.
Keep thinking this bastion of liberal stupidity isn't relevant to your peril.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRoadGlide
We HAD stricter emission laws. As of the 2010 model year, Federal emissions standards (49 state) are exactly the same as the California standards that went into effect in 2008.
Then why does HD charge an additional $200 for "California Emissions" on 2010 bikes?

Old 06-12-2010, 10:03 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by plumbertom
Funny How people don't realize that the standards set for emissions by the feds and your state are often adopted from Ca. standards a few years down the road. Usually after Ca proves that they can be met and enforced.
Not that it's completely relevant but I do remember CA being the first to outlaw smoking in bars. I never did understand that. It's ok to kill your liver but not ok to do equal damage to your lungs. Any way, I digress.

Then NY...then NJ...and now it's slowly trickling to other states. I've been in some places in NC that you can't smoke in, usually in the larger cities.

Also, SC is following suit slowly but surely with this no smoking in bars bit.

So I do tend to agree with you that yes, what is set forth by CA will eventually bite me in the *** in SC.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:56 PM
SoCalRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Then why does HD charge an additional $200 for "California Emissions" on 2010 bikes?
From what I understand, it's the cost of paperwork that California requires. Bureaucracy at it's finest.

Before this denigrates further into a California bashing thread, let's get this thing back to the OP's warning. SB435 is alive and kicking. Sen. Pavley re-amended her bill, and it's a *****. As written, the simple version goes like this: ALL motorcycles built or sold after Jan. 1, 1983 will be required to run the stock, EPA stamped exhaust systems that match the corresponding sticker on the frame. It's a $300 fine, not counting any other fees the local municipality and/or court system will tack on.

This bill is bad for a number of reasons:
The bill is redundant, there are already plenty of noise/anti-tampering laws on the books.
From the EPA's own website, the mufflers are only required to meet the sound requirement fo 1 year or 3750 miles, whichever comes first. LINK
Many bought their bikes used, and the original exhaust has been replaced. In many cases, the stock exhaust systems are no long available from the manufacturer. Auto manufactuers are required to build and/or make available replacement parts for 7 or 10 years. Motorcycle manufacturers have been under no such requirements. What do you do when an exhaust system wears out?
What about special construction bikes?
This bill, besides singling bikes out, has so many holes in it that we really need to stop it. The bill will be heard by the Assembly Transportation Committee on June 21, 9 days from now. California bikers should be flooding their legislators, particularly the members of the trans committee, with letters, faxes, emails, and phone calls. If we don't get off our collective butts, we're going to be riding sewing machines.

I ride a bike with a stock exhaust system. It's fine for me. I myself find open exhaust pipes annoying as hell, but I still love the sound of a good running V-Twin with a healthy exhaust note. They're going to go the way of the dodo bird if we don't wake up. Those of you that don't think this bill has a chance of passing need to pull your heads out of your...er...out of the sand.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:13 PM
bks6721
Tourer

Originally Posted by plumbertom
believe it or not, some states don't care how nuts CA is. The only thing CA has proven is how to run a state into bankruptcy. Your EPA rules simply do not apply to my state. If I want to do an engine swap I can with no limitations. How are you laws concerning engine swaps? I can drop an old carb'd 426 into a new Cuda if I want without bending a single law. CA lets the gubmint tell them which engine they are allowed to use. There is a reason CA has earned the title "Peoples Republic..." the real shame is the people that allow it.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:10 PM
babyray
Tourer

Lived here my whole life .Theres alot more that blows here besides this law.When I go out of state Im embarassed to tell anyone where Im from. Check out the gun laws.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:41 AM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Remember to thank a liberal and a lawyer for all stupid BS we have to put up with daily. I'll give up my loud exhaust when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

Quick Reply: Ca, bikers alert! The rest of you remember,