General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tradin' Quandry ???????

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010 | 12:22 PM
Da Gumpmeister
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Tradin' Quandry ???????

Okay, folx. I am always qwik to throw MFUO out here, so here is your chance to "throw back".

One of my best buds called me from his dad's place, on Memorial Day. His Dad has an 88 FLHTC, that had a ground up on it in the mid 90's. (Came from Fla, surface rust on EVERYTHING) Most alum. was replaced with chrome. New paint. NO radio/stereo.

His Dad is 70(been riding HDs since '59), and just does not, and cannot ride, the bagger anymore. Wants it to go to someone who will 'road trip' it, not store it,. like he is.
He wants to trade straight across for Black Betty, '78 FLH. Wants an older scoot, he can get on and off easily, and run the few miles into town for coffee, beer, etc. They just do not use it for road trips N E mo'. (Too old, takes DAYS to recoup.)

The 78 NEEDS tranny replaced, been "nursing" it all year, NO $$$$ to throw at it). I have a polished S&S cased 5 in a 4, w/kicker, just sitting waiting for the $$$. My original goal was a 5 spd, 88" shovel that'd run down the road with the 'new' scoots, ALL DAY LONG.

I'd REALLY like to have an EVO bagger to be able to jump on and head out for points unknown, NOW that I am running 'solo'. Plus, I want to install an Ultima 127" and 6 spd, EVENTUALLY, when eng needs rebuild. It has a lil over 50,000 rounds on it, been IMMACULATELY cared for. I've known the scoot for YEARS !!!

But Black Betty is a schweet ride, and I seem to be having a hard time partin' with the ol' gurl, now that I have the chassis ready for the tranny and engine build. (ALL new wheel, neck, swingarm brgs, belt drive pri., aftermarket brakes, dripping in chrome, etc)

The $$ that I'd spend on her to get the 88" and 5 spd, would go MILES towards the 127 and 6.

I REALLY like the compliments and looks I get on the shovel when on the road. I know with the 88 and 5, she would hang in there on the highway, BUT let's face it, it is STILL a shovel, and NOT the most comfortable for the passenger.

So what say, Ye???? I KNOW it is a GOOD deal. Almost TOO GOOD. But I cannot trade the shovel with a suspect tranny in it, PESHALLY to a 'friend'. Once I do the 5 spd, I'm afraid I REALLY won't want to trade.

Here's the bagger:

Here's Black Betty:

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 07-20-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-11-2010 | 12:36 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

I think I would trade for the dresser.Tell the old boy he buys the trans or parts and you will through in the labor.Seeing how he is a friend and you got the abilitys.

Old 06-11-2010 | 12:37 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

Can't help but to think that shovel will end up as rusty as the Evo. That is no way to say goodbye to a trusted friend.
Mine looks similar to yours. It has a rotary-top (cowpie) 4-speed tranny, but it still works well enough to convince me to still take it on trips. Got an Evo bagger too, but the Shovel is still my favorite. Had it for 30 years now, longer than my last 3 dogs.

Fix the Shovel and keep it.

Old 06-11-2010 | 01:20 PM
mudder
Tourer

I can't see the pic of the bagger, and as much as I would like to have it

I just can't see getting rid of the shovel, no how, no way

but it's your deal

Old 06-11-2010 | 01:41 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member

Errrr....Ummmm Damb I Dunno.....

How's that for MFUO...I want both. Decisions, decisions damnifIknow.

Old 06-11-2010 | 02:26 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Part with a great bike to get a great bike. Tough decision. If you think you will do some long tours down the road, maybe the bagger is it.

I know that you would turn it into a class machine.

Old 06-11-2010 | 02:29 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer

i'd say pick the black one.. Tough decision there Gump, don't envy you one bit making this one.

Old 06-11-2010 | 02:30 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Gump, I had an '86 Classic that I put way over 100K on before I sold it to a friend, who is still putting miles on it. I've had two more Evo Ultras and now a twin cam Ultra. I love the Evo engine and the Ultra Harley, but I like to do ROAD TRIPS!
If you ever plan to roll 800+ miles a day (I just did one of those in April on my 2900 mi round trip to NC) make the trade. You'll LOVE it! However, If ya just wanna cruse locally, the Shovel will do fine.
I seem to remember though that you do have some kind of ol' junky Panhead for the local stuff though......It's really a win, win situation for ya, what ever ya do.

Old 06-11-2010 | 02:32 PM
travroc
Road Warrior

If it were me, I'd keep the shovel in a heartbeat, but depends on your needs. If you want a touring rig bad enuff....I guess it would be a decent deal.

Old 06-11-2010 | 02:41 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

I don't know Gump,Black Betty's a sweet ride.I know the bagger will end up that way to if you did trade but that Shovel is nice.Tough choice.

Quick Reply: Tradin' Quandry ???????