General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bergen County HD service department (NEVER USE AGAIN)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bergen County HD service department (NEVER USE AGAIN)

To say I am dissapointed is a understatement

On April 7th my bike got knocked over in a parking lot (minimal damage, no paint damage) I take it To Bergen County HD in Lodi NJ (its where I bought the bike) Insurance takes care of it real quick and later the next week I get the check in the mail.
I decided to get ape hangers and have the service guys instal them since they have to change the controls out due to scuff damage.
lt took 3 weeks to deliver the bars i ordered. thats when they finally took a closer look at my bike and told me they had to order new tripletrees. so they ordered those and the cables at the same time it takes 2 weeks to get them in. then they just sit with the bike for a couple weeks and after memorial day start the actual instal............... WTF!

9 weeks later (from the day i dropped it off and they checked it) they still havent completed the bike.

for the last 4 weeks I have been told by numerous employees That I will be riding by the weekend, then the weekend comes and they tell me there was a problem or a cable length is too short. one weekend the technition chose not to come into work.. Well I'm at my wits end with their BullSh*t

I have had to cancel many memorial rides because of them not delivering on the promise of completing my bike. This weekend is my final straw. I'm due for a birthday ride to upstate NY and now have to cancel (yet again) because they cant finish. All that is needed is for them to finish installing this brake line which they have had for 2 days now (because they say factory shipped the wrong sizes) (why they didnt check the sizes when they first got the cables is beyond me)

What can I do???????
This makes me more angry than anything I ever had to deal with. The fact that they don't care and that this isn't a priority is only making matters worse.

All I can do is discourage everyone that I know who rides a Harley to never use their service. I will forever continue to use indy shops. I only used them because this was my first insurance matter and I bought the harley there. It was out of respect. Well they lost my respect and I can only imagine what kind of bill they are gonna fit me with.

Use them at your own risk. I NEVER WILL AGAIN THOUGH

I have been told all week from their assistant service manager that I will be riding this weekend (well forgive me for not beleiving a word you say) I have been calling daily and will continue to. This is ridiculous and shouldnt be happening and if I had a truck I'd take my bike to another place to finish...

More information regarding the service department will come depending on my outcome of receiving my Motorcycle

Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I can understand your anger towards them.

My local dealer will only place orders for parts on fridays so if you place the order on tues, there is +4 days. They say it usually takes a week to get the parts from the warehouses. So, for any part you may order you are at approx 11 days, not including weekends.

So, it's not really their fault, as much as I'd like to be able to say "they suck."

Next time, if you want things within a more reasonable timeframes, buy them online and then have them installed.

I mean they were working on your bike and found something wrong that could have endangered your life. I don't know if your trees were cracked but personally, I'd like to think they are doing a good job keeping you safe.

BTW, I'm from Hawthorne.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-07-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,296 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Man that sure seems like an excessive amount of time for some pretty basic work..

Seems to me you need to add a second bike to your stable and then you won't have to be riderless

Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes the tripletrees they did do a great job on. its the repeated telling me "I'd be riding this weekend" for the last 3-4 weeks that is pissing me off. Next weds is Gooch's Garlic Run. Am I gonna have it by then? Will they refund my ticket?? (it not even about the $)

If they only order the parts on a certain day then they should tell me that..... Be honest with me. its when people lie that really **** me off

Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggDogg
To say I am dissapointed is a understatement

On April 7th my bike got knocked over in a parking lot (minimal damage, no paint damage) I take it To Bergen County HD in Lodi NJ (its where I bought the bike) Insurance takes care of it real quick and later the next week I get the check in the mail.
I decided to get ape hangers and have the service guys instal them since they have to change the controls out due to scuff damage.
lt took 3 weeks to deliver the bars i ordered. thats when they finally took a closer look at my bike and told me they had to order new tripletrees. so they ordered those and the cables at the same time it takes 2 weeks to get them in. then they just sit with the bike for a couple weeks and after memorial day start the actual instal............... WTF!

9 weeks later (from the day i dropped it off and they checked it) they still havent completed the bike.

for the last 4 weeks I have been told by numerous employees That I will be riding by the weekend, then the weekend comes and they tell me there was a problem or a cable length is too short. one weekend the technition chose not to come into work.. Well I'm at my wits end with their BullSh*t

I have had to cancel many memorial rides because of them not delivering on the promise of completing my bike. This weekend is my final straw. I'm due for a birthday ride to upstate NY and now have to cancel (yet again) because they cant finish. All that is needed is for them to finish installing this brake line which they have had for 2 days now (because they say factory shipped the wrong sizes) (why they didnt check the sizes when they first got the cables is beyond me)

What can I do???????
This makes me more angry than anything I ever had to deal with. The fact that they don't care and that this isn't a priority is only making matters worse.

All I can do is discourage everyone that I know who rides a Harley to never use their service. I will forever continue to use indy shops. I only used them because this was my first insurance matter and I bought the harley there. It was out of respect. Well they lost my respect and I can only imagine what kind of bill they are gonna fit me with.

Use them at your own risk. I NEVER WILL AGAIN THOUGH

I have been told all week from their assistant service manager that I will be riding this weekend (well forgive me for not beleiving a word you say) I have been calling daily and will continue to. This is ridiculous and shouldnt be happening and if I had a truck I'd take my bike to another place to finish...

More information regarding the service department will come depending on my outcome of receiving my Motorcycle
I understand your frustration (and anger) but unfortunately it seems that there are more unprofessional dealerships than ones sticking to their promise and providing quality work, on time and on budget. I don't use a HD dealer unless I have no other option (warranty work). I do my own maintenance and when things require more expertise or I don't have the tools for it, I take it to an indy mechanic who has always treated me well and very professionally.
Since you bought your bike from this dealer, maybe you could ask them to give you a loaner for the weekend, if they're unable to finish your bike today?
Good luck.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:42 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, you can stop planning rides when you don't know how long the work will take. Sounds like you are planning rides then getting let down.

My bud's bike was taken out by a drunk driver in his front yard and it was down over 2mos and that was with a dealer that is (in my book) not high volume.

BC HD is think it's safe to say is a high volume dealer based on the area it's in.

The handlebars, etc was something you could have done yourself.

I mean, insurance sent you a check. You could have bought the items and done the work. Maybe had some cash left over for some bling.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I understand your frustration (and anger) but unfortunately it seems that there are more unprofessional dealerships than ones sticking to their promise and providing quality work, on time and on budget. I don't use a HD dealer unless I have no other option (warranty work). I do my own maintenance and when things require more expertise or I don't have the tools for it, I take it to an indy mechanic who has always treated me well and very professionally.
Since you bought your bike from this dealer, maybe you could ask them to give you a loaner for the weekend, if they're unable to finish your bike today?
Good luck.

I have done all my own work up to this point (except for a fork upgrade at a local custom shop). Figured going to the dealer would be the quickest turnaround for the insurance company (and then added the bars cuz they were going to have them apart anyway) otherwise the ape hanger install was going to be my winter project..
I'm fully regretting dealing with the dealer. and it has also made me re-think this place when it comes time to purchase my softail (which I was going to be doing at the end of the year or possibly next year)

Old 06-11-2010, 11:52 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Well, you can stop planning rides when you don't know how long the work will take. Sounds like you are planning rides then getting let down.

My bud's bike was taken out by a drunk driver in his front yard and it was down over 2mos and that was with a dealer that is (in my book) not high volume.

BC HD is think it's safe to say is a high volume dealer based on the area it's in.

The handlebars, etc was something you could have done yourself.

I mean, insurance sent you a check. You could have bought the items and done the work. Maybe had some cash left over for some bling.

No because insurance sent me a check requesting a senior signiture thinking that there was still a lean on my bike which there wasnt. So then the insurance company just cut the dealer the check. so they have the insurance money and my bike and still wont complete it. 9 weeks is an awefull long time to replace a broken brake light, license plate bracket, bent kickstand and scuffed left controls.... Especially when they said it will take a week or so to install my bars once they receive them. These motorcycle trips have been planned since winter.
My girlfriend has the same birthday every year, Gooch's garlic run, runs the same time every year. I was supposed to go to Laconia but couldnt get the week off approved by my suppervisor. So I settled for gooch's garlic run

Old 06-11-2010, 11:53 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,120 Likes on 1,027 Posts

A situations such as this is why I began doing all of my service work (or at least everything that I can do) on my motorcycles, cars, trucks, and tractors years ago........... It ain't nothing new!

Quick Reply: Bergen County HD service department (NEVER USE AGAIN)