General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bergen County HD service department (NEVER USE AGAIN)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Couldn't you have just kept your bike with scuffed controls until they were ready to work on it?

Old 06-11-2010, 02:08 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have retired from the service sector. I learned early on to make a realistic completion date promise and then beat that date for the customer. That is the only way it should be.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:29 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
Couldn't you have just kept your bike with scuffed controls until they were ready to work on it?

Scuffed controls yes, broken kickstand (well bent all the way) broken tail light (the housing) broken license plate bracket NO. And they found out that the tripletrees were cracked.
The guy who hit the bike hit the front fork and pushed it 5 feet, then it fell over.
I wasn't going to chance it by just assuming the scuffs were the only damage.

They did do right by checking the tripletrees...... the way they went about everything else is whats wrong.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:39 PM
PO1923
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve seen Bergen HD’s arrogant attitude and poor conflict resolution skills on this forum before. Maybe you’re low priority because you haven’t been a service customer since purchasing the bike, doing your own work and going to custom shops like you said. Judging from other threads and posts I’ve read, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was their mentality instead of going above and beyond to win you over. Maybe they’re just careless and unreliable. Either way, you lost a big chunk of riding season.

The clock started ticking the day they got the ins. check. Considering they missed the tripletree issue on initial inspection and the delay in getting the correct cables, whether it was their fault or not, they should have jumped on that bike the minute they got that last cable and you should have had your bike the next day if not later that day. If your bike isn’t ready this weekend, I would go to the owner, explain the run around you’ve been getting and ask for the use of one of their rentals no charge until they get your bike back on the road or, if you prefer, ask them to accept the amount paid by your ins. co. as payment in full.

Good luck.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:52 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

over two months to do that work listed is a complete joke... figure at most two weeks to order parts, two days for the repairs and that's being very forgiving.

thanks for the heads up i'll never go there. i HATE dealing with BS'ers who give you the run around and don't simply deliver on what they say they will.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:34 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Big problem right now is dealers and H-D corporate stocking as little as possible to reduce overhead in these lean economic times. I recently had to wait 3+ weeks for 25mm bearings when I swapped out the wheels on my Street Glide because they were on back order from the factory. What's worse is the dealers really don't know when something will come in. All they can go off of is what H-D tells them. I ordered my bearings on a Tuesday and my friend at the parts counter told me they were on back order until the following Monday. Walked up (I work in the service dept) at the end of the day on Mon to see if they had shipped and found out they had been pushed out another 2 weeks.

If the parts are there and they just aren't doing the work I'd be royally pissed (and probably be causing a huge stink on a daily basis). If the parts weren't there I'd still be pissed but I'd be a little more understanding. Nothing the dealership can do if they don't have the parts to do the work.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:19 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I understand that you've made plans and you've been disappointed. I also understand that you've been told you'd have your bike but you're still waiting for it. I even understand that there are incompetent dealers who can't or won't do right by you.
In my experience Bergen County HD is the best dealer I've ever used. If they said they found more damage or that the parts took longer to get I believe them. Your bike got wrecked and you're missing precious riding time but you're angry at the wrong people. They have the highest level trained mechanics and they rate #2 in the US for customer satisfaction. Please try to be objective and see this for what it is. Besides, getting angry at them won't make it better. I'll bet if you knew all the details from their perspective you'd believe that they were trying their best to make it right. If you yell and accuse them you're not going to gain their sympathy. I hope your bike is returned to you soon and that it's safe and fixed properly. That's more important than missing Gooche's Garlick Run.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:16 AM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have retired from the service sector. I learned early on to make a realistic completion date promise and then beat that date for the customer. That is the only way it should be.
This is exactly the point.... It's the broken promise that invariably pisses you off...not neccessarily the actual timeframe.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:31 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input. First off it was the broken promises and disregard for just telling me actual time frames that pissed me off the most. I love Bergen harley as a dealership Sales/merchandise and the rest. I bought my bike there for a reason. Sales department treated me as if I was in their family already and they matched the deal I wanted. (The same deal I shopped around at 2 other dealerships with, and those dealers said F' off) So there is the problem. Would I use their service department again? Not unless a warrenty issue happens. Would I have started to look at their service department if I ever needed more work and they treated me in a timely fashion? OF COURSE. but they didn't..........................

As far as the bike goes. I got it back Sat. morn. It looks great (they did a great job putting it together for me) I have to re-paint my 2" tank lift cuz some paint chipped removing the tank but that happens all the time so no-biggie......
I already put 350+ miles on her since yesterday and if it wasn't pouring now I'd still be on her. I figured now's the best time to finish this chapter and upload photos. And of course tighten all the bolts on the bars.
God I love my bike...............

Old 06-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggDogg
Thanks everyone for your input. First off it was the broken promises and disregard for just telling me actual time frames that pissed me off the most. I love Bergen harley as a dealership Sales/merchandise and the rest. I bought my bike there for a reason. Sales department treated me as if I was in their family already and they matched the deal I wanted. (The same deal I shopped around at 2 other dealerships with, and those dealers said F' off) So there is the problem. Would I use their service department again? Not unless a warrenty issue happens. Would I have started to look at their service department if I ever needed more work and they treated me in a timely fashion? OF COURSE. but they didn't..........................

As far as the bike goes. I got it back Sat. morn. It looks great (they did a great job putting it together for me) I have to re-paint my 2" tank lift cuz some paint chipped removing the tank but that happens all the time so no-biggie......
I already put 350+ miles on her since yesterday and if it wasn't pouring now I'd still be on her. I figured now's the best time to finish this chapter and upload photos. And of course tighten all the bolts on the bars.
God I love my bike...............
I pm'd you.

Quick Reply: Bergen County HD service department (NEVER USE AGAIN)