General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok Experts,What Kind Of Bike Is This

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

My opinion has been for the last several years that some of the best old school choppers that show up at the Horse "Smokeout" started out as Jap bikes. Makes sense since most of the back-street builders haven't got the big bucks needed for any HD.

I admire the obvious craftsmanship that went into casting or machining the various pieces. I think he was going for a Crocker-type look.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:56 AM
bparsel
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
dogtownmax, if you look at both sides of the heads closely, you will see there is a spark plug on each side. 2 cylinders, 2 sides, one spark plug on each side = 4 spark plugs...
Thanks for verifying Crok, as I have abslutely no idea how to photoshop anything into that picture

And as DaddyKnuck points out, I too think the work that went into that is pretty awesome. I dont understand why everyone is having such a hard time believing it's a honda engine with some cosmetic work done. Damn good job done.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bparsel
Thanks for verifying Crok, as I have abslutely no idea how to photoshop anything into that picture

And as DaddyKnuck points out, I too think the work that went into that is pretty awesome. I dont understand why everyone is having such a hard time believing it's a honda engine with some cosmetic work done. Damn good job done.

Looking at the first pic, right side of heads...
Front cylinder you can plainly see the plug wire. On the rear cylinder, there seems to be an access hole in the cover, might have to move the rocker oiler tube?

Second pic, left side of heads...
You can plainly see the rear cylinder plug. Looking forward of dead center of the top of the front head, you can see the front cylinder plug wire.

Back to the right side pic... You may notice that the distributor/rotor (or is it a magneto?) cover only has three plug wires. If this engine is truly runnin four plugs, it seems the wires would have to split some where? I'd have to imagine the center wire comes from the coil? Wonder why it isn't running a mag, if it's actually a vintage motor? Somebody with more experience would have to answer that. I'm limited by what I can actually see, and my guess(es) as to what the parts I see are...

I also noticed the bow-framed front end. It's got a damper, or shock absorber, mounted horizontally in front of the steering head, with a pivot at bottom of the steering head. Is that another shift lever on the right side at the rear of the fuel tank? Looking at the right handlebar grip, is that a clutch lever and internal throttle cable? Nah, that's gotta be a front drum brake cable/lever. Seems there is also a left foot operated clutch lever...

The more I look at the details, the more I'm likin this bike. Lots of stuff you can miss with a quick glance...

Last edited by CroK; 06-15-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm glad that some of you can appreciate that it is very different.It was the only bike I took a picture of.I don't know if I would have done that to a Honda,maybe a shovel head or something but still very different.