General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP with Dual Disk Brake iSSUE???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 PM
kbuckz06
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP with Dual Disk Brake iSSUE???

I have a 2002 Sportster with factory dual disk brakes up front.I just purchased it for my Lovely Girlfriend,The front brake lever was soft,so I figured no problem Bleed them?I have went through 6 bottles of Dot 5,new bleeders,rebuilding Master,all new banjo bolt gaskets and line gaskets too.Lever is Hard after bleeding.Once bike is started and starts to move,lever is soft and bottoms out,once you pump it it gets Hard and the brakes hold bike fine???WHAT CAN it BE???Theres no air in the lines!Do the calipers need rebuilding??i thought when calipers need rebuilding they should leak???ANY Help????I AM GOING NUTS!!!!Next step is the Dealer?????

Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

You have a bent brake rotor...When you roll the wheel the bent rotor will push the piston back into the caliper which requires you to pump the lever to get brakes again.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:16 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the warped rotor... I know you said you've run a few bottles of brake fluid through it trying to bleed the air out, BUT, if you get a hard lever by pumping it, you still have air in the system somewhere. Crack the line at the banjo fitting and bleed. Tap the entire length of the line with a screw driver or a wrench, anything to get the air up by gravity and bleed at every connection in the system. Might help to try reverse bleeding too. It's air...

Old 06-10-2010, 11:44 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bike brakes are just a pig to deal with! You could have a few different issues here. You might have a flex line that is beginning to swell when you hold pressure on the brake. A new one would fix that.
You could have a plugged relief hole which would be in the bottom of your master cylinder. or you could still have air in your system as was mentioned. bleeding at the banjo is always a good idea because air gets trapped there a lot. you can also squeeze your brake lever and tie it in that position over night. in the morning, crack your bleeder screw and you might get a burp of air out.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:14 AM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 45 Posts
Talking

I agree with all that has been said above. Hatchetman is correct on the plugged vent/relief hole thing. It happens, though you said you rebuilt it. This leads me to air in the lines as others have said. Try this...............

Fill the reservoir, put the boot in and snug up the cap plate. Then bleed a little bit. Be VERY careful not to drain the reservoir. Fill again and bleed again.

6 bottles.............you should never have to do even close to that. I just did new pads on the rear because I let a dealer work on my bike, new rear tire. I'm positive they pushed the caliper back to get it off, driving all the crap back into the caliper and master. I rebuilt the caliper and ran new dot 5 through the line.

Rear brake is now tight and good weather is here for the weekend. Can hardly wait to get some serious riding in and use the rear brake............I actually favor it in normal riding.................yea guys, I know, always apply both but I roll to most stops and the rear sees less use normally so that's how I balance wear............Har

Keep at it man, you'll get it.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:20 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

I still say bent rotor...He said he has a firm lever until the bike is rolled...And then it has to be pumped to regain brakes.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:33 AM
kbuckz06
Cruiser

Which banjo fitting?At the Master or at each caliper????I have heard about tapping the line just Forgot about it.I will keep you posted.Thanks again ken

Old 06-11-2010, 05:37 AM
kbuckz06
Cruiser

Bent rotor is very Possible since the bike was laid down,I cant wait to check that out,I did have to replace a lower fork leg because it was cracked from that spill.I would Gladly replace rotor and be very HAPPY!!!Keep you posted.Thanks Again Ken

Old 06-11-2010, 06:59 AM
kbuckz06
Cruiser
Default Rotor is bent

I will be replacing Rotor and keep everyone Posted.Thanks So Much.Ken

Old 06-14-2010, 01:19 PM
kbuckz06
Cruiser
Default Issue SOLVED

Thanks everyone for all the HELP,It was the rotor and now Brakes are fine.Thanks Again.Ken

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP with Dual Disk Brake iSSUE???