Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost bit it

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Almost bit it

Not less tha 1 hr after i replied to a thread on here regarding the stupidity of Ohio drivers I need to make a run for smokes. I decided to take the bike and make a little ride of it so off I go.

I go down the street here to a 3 way whereas I will need to turn Right at the stop sign. When I arrive I see a pak (45 mph zone) of about 6 or 7 vehicles coming my way. They have no stop sign. I coulda took it but since I was in no hurry I waited. It was clear behind them and this would give me some privacy behind me once I proceeded. So like 2 cars blow through ,, one signals and turns R going the same direction I just came from,, nother 2 go straight (the direction I wanna go). At the tail end of the pak I see a little silver car w/ its signal on to turn right ,, the car is lingering just a tad. I never trust a signal and here's why...... as I watch this car approaching the final few feet I think to myself hummm going a little fast still to make that this turn ,, about which time I notice a definite slow up ,, than right on top of the turn I see a little nose dive from the car like they simply just misjudged the distance? So now I am 99% they are indeed goona turn. So... still watching them in the corner of my eye I begin releasing the clutch and get about a 3 foot creep off. Guess what happens next? You got it the vehicle aborts the turn still going about 15-20 mph and proceeds throgh the intersection. I quickly hit the clutch and front break coming to a sudden stop .. hard enough to pin my bars sideways anyhow but under complete control. Once i did that I seen the car (woulda been to late) hit theyre brakes. As the whizzed by me still in the 15 mph range I noted 2 milfs. The passenger milf was cringing w/ a grimmace on her face looking dead at me making some sort of hand gesture,,, her method of appoligizing and expressing panic. The driver milf looking dead ahead and laughing.

Had i not be such a defensive rider and pulled out trusting her signal,slowing and actually beginning her turn I would have sustaind at least a broken leg and been T-bones at about 15 mph. Surely would knocked me over and probably ended up under the car or something . It would not have been pretty at all.

Never trust a car signaling to turn......... EVER! I never do and this is exactly why. All my life they have always turned. I dont think this has happened even 1 other time but I still to this day wait and see for myself. Payed off.

Last edited by Seascape; 06-10-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:10 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,121 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I have actually seen people siginal to turn one direction, and then turn the other. I never trust any turn signal, NEVER!

Old 06-10-2010, 04:12 PM
bks6721
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's why there is a government warning on the smokes.. they can be hazardous to you health.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 PM
The Wolf
Intermediate

I rode down to the Columbus Zoo last week to meet my son's field trip. That entire area seems like a treacherous place to spend much time on a bike! Glad you came out ok!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:03 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Gad it worked out but my philosophy is even simpler.....don't trust ANY car/truck!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Wolf
I rode down to the Columbus Zoo last week to meet my son's field trip. That entire area seems like a treacherous place to spend much time on a bike! Glad you came out ok!
It is you gotta be on your toes at all times. I've been to alot of places this area right here where I live is the absolute worst. Just absolutely stupid people. I cant relax at all until i get generally around 20 minutes from my house if I head south towards town. This would include the area you visited. I am about 4 miles from the zoo but on the other side of the river. Thing is up by the zoo things start to clear up but it takes 20 minutes to get there! Ya 4 miles in 20 minutes a complete community w/ cell phones hanging off theyre ear.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:08 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

sounds very typical of the stuff I get around here as well.....I never get any apologizes though.
Glad you avoided it

Trending Topics

Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 PM
04RoadKing.
Novice

sounds like a good way to meet ladies, you almost had two of them at your beck and call.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

We never have those problems in CT. No one uses signal lights so you never know what the hell they are going to do anyway. We just guess they are going to turn in front of us. They usually do.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:32 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 823 Likes on 478 Posts

good to hear you avoided the accident , but you made one mistake

Originally Posted by Seascape
Never trust a car signaling to turn......... EVER!

should be

Originally Posted by Seascape
Never trust a car ......... EVER!

ride safe !

Quick Reply: Almost bit it