General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailbone terror!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Pappy13
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tailbone terror!!!!

hurts like all ..... Anybody else out there been able to solve this problem. Have and 09 Ultra and have put 17K miles on it. Tailbone pain started with my previous bike (Wing). Have purchased a HD backrest and would like to use it. Have tried gel pads, no pads, and pads on pads, nothing has helped. Like the idea of the Road Zeppelin seat. I understand that the RZ may create issues with being able to flat foot the bike. Seat has also been changed and has only 2 chambers to inflate for the driver.

Had a Mustang seat on a 03 Vic and loved it.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:47 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a Mustang for the HD?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:49 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

End of problem

Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 PM
spider2
Tourer

I had the same problem on my Goldwing. I had the local uphostery shop cut a U shaped piece out of the seat where my tailbone touches the seat. That takes the pressure off of the tailbone. I also use an AirHawk seat cushion. I just bought a 2010 RoadKing and replaced the stock seat with a Sundowner seat, which so far feels pretty good. My Harley dealer let me try a couple different seats before I made my purchase. I hope this helps.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:01 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

i have an 09 ultra. before you pay hundreds for the fix, spend 45 and to to beadriders.com and buy their product. don't judge it until you do a 100 mile or more ride. the seat needs to compress first just like a Wing - it's way to hard at first, but after hours of riding, it's about right. I just rode 3000 mile in hot weather, 10+ hours a day and no butt problem. used it on 05 and it was great. loaned it to my son for his sport bike and he loved it.

your results may vary.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I injured my tailbone several years ago riding my horse. I had the stirrups too long. Didn't know that I had injured it until the next morning when I woke up. Great pain. Could not stand pressure on it. Soft seats were worse than hard seats. Couldn't wear blue jeans because of the seam. No comfortable way to ride a motorcycle. I finally went to a chiropractor. He didn't do me any good. Heard good things about another chiropractor. He knew his stuff. (I know chiropractors get flamed on this site, but I know what works for me.) The first summer I wore Dickies coveralls when riding. It was a year before I could wear blue jeans and ride a bike. And then only for a short time. Even after 3 years the tailbone would let me know that I had been wearing my Levis and riding my bike.
Good luck on the quest to find something comfortable to sit on and ride your bike. You may need to get rid of that blue jean seam down the crack first.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Spider2 has a good idea for you. Find a good upholstery shop and they should be able to modify the seat to fit you. Local shop did the seat on my son's last bike and they did a good job of making the seat more comfortable and better fitting for him.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Pappy13
Advanced

2kids3pets - U mean the avitar or the pony?

Old 06-10-2010, 12:31 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my last bike, I pulled the leather back & stuffed in a wheel barrow tire tube than stapled it closed again. Just hit a gas station & inflate the tube for 1 second & you can feel the difference.
Cost was $6. Worked well.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:49 AM
ljmt
6th Gear
Default seat

i did the same as spider2 they cut a hole where tailbone is so far it feels good no more pain also had air foam put into seat

Quick Reply: Tailbone terror!!!!