General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailbone terror!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 AM
JoeeJoee
Tourer
Received 157 Likes on 85 Posts

I know for a fact tailbone hurts like Hell.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Pappy13
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plan on going to the Republic of Texas MC rally in Austin. There should be seat vendors available. Thanks for the suggestions. Will let U know what solutions I might find.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I fell down my stairs last year after taking my damn boots off and trying to run down the stairs (wooden) in socks. Bounced down the stairs on my tailbone. I had to stand at work for two weeks. My PT thinks it may have caused my hip fracture since she thinks it made me run differently and I kept running without a break to account for the broken ****. NOT fun. It doesn't flare up on the bike. But good luck finding the right seat.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by U-234
I injured my tailbone several years ago riding my horse. I had the stirrups too long. Didn't know that I had injured it until the next morning when I woke up. Great pain. Could not stand pressure on it. Soft seats were worse than hard seats. Couldn't wear blue jeans because of the seam. No comfortable way to ride a motorcycle. I finally went to a chiropractor. He didn't do me any good. Heard good things about another chiropractor. He knew his stuff. (I know chiropractors get flamed on this site, but I know what works for me.) The first summer I wore Dickies coveralls when riding. It was a year before I could wear blue jeans and ride a bike. And then only for a short time. Even after 3 years the tailbone would let me know that I had been wearing my Levis and riding my bike.
Good luck on the quest to find something comfortable to sit on and ride your bike. You may need to get rid of that blue jean seam down the crack first.
This is as close as I've seen anyone get with this problem! I was diagnosed in 1986 when I went to the doc cause I couldn't stand the pain anymore in the tail bone.......he called it "Harley Davidson Symdrome," (I **** you not! He told me it was for real and quite common!) It is almost always caused by the middle belt loop on a pair of jeans......it hits right on your tailbone, and the pressure on this area from the seat is what causes the problem! Wear different pants or completely remove that loop, and it should take care of your problem! It worked perfectly for me, and I've never suffered the problem since then!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:42 AM
karlmdog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe if you had a fatter ***? My personal experience is that mine never hurts thanks to the "extra padding". Some people have a bony ***, like a Tibetan ox. Knock back a bunch of beers, pizza, milkshakes, donuts, etc and see if it helps. Worked wonders for me (that and a Sundowner seat).

Old 06-10-2010, 07:48 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

wife has a issue in that area but the touring seat helped her.

hope U get one that makes Ur riding fun again..

Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been there! Found that the seat I work in (sit most of the work day) was causing it, and riding just made it worse. Fixed my work chair and the problem went away, mostly!
Just a thought???

Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same problem, after a 30 min ride I could hardly stand to get off the bike, Mustang Solo cured it, I can now ride for hours with no problem.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:59 AM
daleg3556
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Save yourself the trouble and buy an air hawk. Rode to Sturgis last year with 3 700 mile days each way and it saved my ***. Best $150 I ever spent.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You never think about your tail bone, until you hurt it and it seems to take forever to heal. I was sitting 'slumped' on our Ultra and we hit a hit such a thump, he nearly threw me off the back, came down on the back of the seat, and slid back down. The dr had me get a special Coccyx cushion from medical supply store. I used it to sit in the car and the house, no reason he couldn't put one on the bike and cover it with a sheepskin etc.

And now I ALWAYS sit straight up!

Quick Reply: Tailbone terror!!!!