Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Gladiator72
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grf000
Did you miss ---However we have 10% ethanol which will absorb any small amount of water. Ethanol is alcohol which is what commercial gas dry that you buy at the auto store is. What I did not realize is ethanol is not in all gas. It is here on the East Coast. To better state my statement--

Two bits of info first... you need them to understand what I'm going to explain.
Polar - an uneven distribution or separation of electrical charges. Polar molecules have discrete areas that have different charges as in (+)'s and (-)'s.
Non polar molecules will exhibit a much more even or symmetrical distribution of charges with no region of the molecule being more (+) or (-).
There's a saying... "like dissolves like". What it means actually is that the polarity or lack thereof of a solute must be similar to a solvents' if it is to soluble. So... table sugar, sucrose, is polar. It dissolves well in water because water is also polar. Substances like gasoline, vegetable oil etc are non polar. That's why your vinaigrette salad dressing always separates after shaking. The vinegar, mostly water and some acetic acid, is polar and the oil is non polar. Remember like dissolves like. So... When you look at the structure of ethanol, the hydrocarbon region of the molecule, the C's and H's are very non polar BUT! the hydroxyl, the OH group is polar so ethanol contains BOTH non polar and polar regions. This enables it to dissolve in both polar (water) and non polar (petrol) solvents. Ethanol in other words is slightly polar and slightly non polar.
Great info man, I guess I learn something new everyday.. but now my brain hurts...lol

Old 06-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Fyrefight
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, what they said about SeaFoam. I'ts available at your local Walmart, and I've used it for many years with good results. Keep a can in your saddlebag.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Fyrefight
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grf000
Did you miss ---However we have 10% ethanol which will absorb any small amount of water. Ethanol is alcohol which is what commercial gas dry that you buy at the auto store is. What I did not realize is ethanol is not in all gas. It is here on the East Coast. To better state my statement--

Two bits of info first... you need them to understand what I'm going to explain.
Polar - an uneven distribution or separation of electrical charges. Polar molecules have discrete areas that have different charges as in (+)'s and (-)'s.
Non polar molecules will exhibit a much more even or symmetrical distribution of charges with no region of the molecule being more (+) or (-).
There's a saying... "like dissolves like". What it means actually is that the polarity or lack thereof of a solute must be similar to a solvents' if it is to soluble. So... table sugar, sucrose, is polar. It dissolves well in water because water is also polar. Substances like gasoline, vegetable oil etc are non polar. That's why your vinaigrette salad dressing always separates after shaking. The vinegar, mostly water and some acetic acid, is polar and the oil is non polar. Remember like dissolves like. So... When you look at the structure of ethanol, the hydrocarbon region of the molecule, the C's and H's are very non polar BUT! the hydroxyl, the OH group is polar so ethanol contains BOTH non polar and polar regions. This enables it to dissolve in both polar (water) and non polar (petrol) solvents. Ethanol in other words is slightly polar and slightly non polar.

But isn't Water Bipolar? (Or was that bi..... oh nevermind)