General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I find aerosol can of Pearl Black?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Where can I find aerosol can of Pearl Black?

I thought the MoCo sold touch up paint in aerosol cans. Looking for a can or 2 of black pear/pearl black for a small project... so far I have not been able to find it, so maybe it doesn't exist. I know there are other companies that sell it, such as Color Rite, but I'm a little leary of the color match with them.

Any ideas?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:48 AM
kpolak
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local auto paint stores, we have a PPG, that sell quart/gallon auto paint may be able to mix up a batch and load it into an aerosol can. I'm not sure if they will do that for pearl.

I do not recommend spraying metal flake from a rattle can. The flake will clog the tip. I speak from experience.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

Colorite is another source $33.95 for a spray can of color matched paint.
http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-step1.cfm?type=2

Old 06-09-2010, 10:27 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Pearl black is a two part paint system, base coat and a "pearlized" clear coat. I don't know how you can buy a single can of spray paint and duplicate the effect. In addition, it's darn difficult to match the specification of the pearlized clear as it can look very different than the stock paint job due to differences in the size, density and color mix of the metallic particles in the clear. Might be best to bite the bullet and a pay a professional to shoot it for you.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

Colorite does offer a spray can in Black Pearl not sure what it looks like when dry?
http://www.colorrite.com/product/har...pearl-2039.cfm

Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Interesting. I'd like to see what it looks like.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:37 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
Pearl black is a two part paint system, base coat and a "pearlized" clear coat. I don't know how you can buy a single can of spray paint and duplicate the effect. In addition, it's darn difficult to match the specification of the pearlized clear as it can look very different than the stock paint job due to differences in the size, density and color mix of the metallic particles in the clear. Might be best to bite the bullet and a pay a professional to shoot it for you.
maybe, but I'd be shocked if black pearl was anything more than a marketing name. I've had some pearl paint jobs, and black pearl looks nothing like any other pearl I've had. On my bike it just looks like black with multi-colored metalic flakes with a standard clearcoat... but I could be wrong, just ask my wife she'll tell ya.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:40 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rider1200
Colorite does offer a spray can in Black Pearl not sure what it looks like when dry?
http://www.colorrite.com/product/har...pearl-2039.cfm
yeah, I do know about colorrite. but I'm looking at about $80 for their adhesion promotor (cause I need it for plastic), primer, base and clear coats. I MAY gamble on it, still deciding. Its still cheaper than having a shop spray the 2 small pieces I need painted, but not sure how the results would be.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:44 PM
06Fatboy_CT
Tourer

I just got back from this place call Coatings international near my house. Place seems legit. I just bought "eyelids" for my girlfriends VW and wanted to paint them to her color. Gave them the color code, He typed it into the computer and said Indigo blue pearl? I said yep. He mixed it up, popped in in a can and gave it to me. Was 20 bucks, another 20 for the adhesion promotor, and clear was in the paint.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Let me know how it works out. I'd love to not have to go through the whole exercise of getting out my spray gun and respirator to shoot touch-up on my Black Pearl UC!

Quick Reply: Where can I find aerosol can of Pearl Black?