General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Law Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010 | 02:01 PM
Jonny Cannon
|
Road Warrior
Default Helmet Law Question

I didn't want to hijack the ACC thread, but I saw some posts that brought this question to mind:

In those states that have no helmet laws, do some of you still wear non-DOT novelty-style helmets? May I ask why? Sunblock (not joking)?

As a Canuck, the whole country has to wear them. I love riding in States with no helmet, and I've been through all weather - rain, high wind, hot sun, snow, sleet, etc. I've worn face protection when required, but that's it.

I was just curious, as a novelty helmet will be as protective as a cereal box, so I'm just interested in some reasons.

Cannon

Old 06-08-2010 | 02:18 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

Sometimes I wear a DOT helmet in the rain or cold. I do have two 37 year old helmets that probably aren't considered legal in helmet law states. But I avoid states (and countries) that have helmet laws. And frankly, given that DOT helmets are only certified to protect you from a 14mph impact, I would say that a cereal box would give you the same protection as ANY helmet.
I don't notice anyone wearing the novelty beanies in the free Midwest.

Old 06-08-2010 | 02:25 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

only reason I can see one would wear a novelty helmet in a no helmet state is either to create a certain look or maybe as you said, sunblock. personally, I would not one on my head, especially if it is prone to lifting from the wind.

Old 06-08-2010 | 02:43 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jonny Cannon

I was just curious, as a novelty helmet will be as protective as a cereal box, so I'm just interested in some reasons.
So if you had a choice to get hit in the head while wearing a novelty helmet or cereal box, which would you choose?

Old 06-08-2010 | 02:50 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Here most wear the signature Pirate doo rag for sun block. The only time i really notice novelties around here is when I get down south close to the WVA border where they have a helmet law. I don't very many of them beyond that. I do see a lot of DOT's and that seems to be the logical choice if you are going to wear one.

Old 06-08-2010 | 02:54 PM
ia2189
Club Member

Mostly pirate doo rags and bandannas here in Iowa, too. The helmets I do see look to be DOT and not novelty. The Mrs. has gotten quite a collection of doo rags to match whatever riding attire she's sporting at the moment. Gotta coordinate ya know.

Last edited by ia2189; 06-08-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 06-08-2010 | 03:49 PM
Jonny Cannon
|
Road Warrior

I would think if I had eye holes cut out of it and had it pulled down all the way I'd go for the cereal box. But now I'm comparing a full-face cereal box with an open-face novelty helmet, so it may not be a fair comparison.

Cannon

Old 06-08-2010 | 05:13 PM
OceanTwo
Cruiser

Why is a helmet that is not marked as DOT approved considered a 'novelty' helmet? And, why is it considered - why would you consider it - 'unsafe'? Is said helmet less safe now that it was before the government decided it wasn't good enough for their stamp of approval?

Why is it that a Government rating on anything is considered better (in this case 'safe') than something without said rating? (This is the same government entity that would ban motorcycles completely because they are unsafe if it would get some votes).

If the government stamped motorcycles as dangerous and deadly, and banned motorcycles which were not stamped 'Government approved', would you stop riding a motorcycle?

Just a few questions you have to ask yourself; not that the government rating is necessarily a bad thing, but I believe a lot of people put far too much stock in what the government approves as a reasonable safety device.

Just like safety ratings on cars - a 5 star crash rating doesn't necessarily mean it's a safe car, just that under controlled crash conditions, certain forces (and so on) were measured on a dummy. Likewise with the helmet.

I dunno, but it just seems too many people are obsessed with some arbitrary rating.

Old 06-08-2010 | 05:19 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jonny Cannon
Nonsense. Plenty of novelty helmets offer some protection - heck, any hard piece of plastic around your head is some protection. Just like the ACC's - plenty of protection there and I have to wear something to block the sun anyhow. I wore a helmet just last Friday when I had to ride across a couple of counties in morning rush hour. Wouldn't mind a good novelty helmet for that.

Just not being DOT certified doesn't mean it doesn't protect - my Army issued kevlar helmet isn't DOT certified either.

Old 06-08-2010 | 05:20 PM
U-234
Road Warrior

I have often worn my novelty helmet here in Oklahoma. I figure on a slow speed get off like Gary Bussey(one s or two?) did, a little fiberglass and and bit of foam could keep me out of the hospital.
I also riveted a visor on it. It's a great help in the sun.

I few years ago I read a helmet study that had an interesting conclusion. In most motorcycle accidents a bicycle helmet would do the rider as much good as a motorcycle helmet. Motorcycle helmets are not designed for the accidents that motorcyclists have. Motorcycle helmets are basically race car driver helmets. Great in a car if your head bounces off the dash, steering wheel, or the roll cage.

Quick Reply: Helmet Law Question