General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another idiot on a bagger.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default So you are implying that we should not be concerned?

Originally Posted by Geezer_Glide
Thank Gawd for all of you good web citizens and your solid advice on living safely. I've now decided to stop tempting death. I will sell my bikes and buy a surplus armored Hummer. And wear a seatbelt. How much are those fire-retarded suits the Nascar boys (oh - and girl) wear? And eat whole grains. I'm gonna live forever !

Thank you so much for minding my business

---this post sent by Apple (TM) i-Phone (TM) while riding my Harley (TM) without a helmet (FU) or pants---
I take it from the tone of your response that you think the people on this thread should mind their own business and that it is up to each individual to worry about their own personal safety?

If so...F**K YOU!

You wanna go plaster yourself against a guard rail or take a plunge off a bridge then by all means, be my guest! If your riding without a helmet or riding while on the phone then you probably deserved it! But the problem with j**k-offs who think that they are so bad-@$$ by throwing caution to the wind is that when they do lose it, they more often than not end up taking some innocent bystander with them! I have a wife and two kids, an elderly set of parents, seven brothers and sisters and countless of nephews and nieces as well as a handful of close friends, all who have to share roads with morons who think that when they do stupid things while riding (or driving) that they are the only one's taking a risk and so everyone else should just mind their business and back off.

Your attempt at coming off like some internet tough guy is about as lame as it gets. You wanna "live dangerously"? Buy a revolver and go into your basement and play some Russian Roulette with yourself. Put your OWN life at risk. No one on here expects to live forever. But it is human nature to want to preserve ourselves. And at the very least, I sure as hell don't want some @$$hole deciding for me when it is my time to go or even that I should get hurt or just lose my ride because they wanted to act like an idiot while on the road!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Geezer_Glide
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I take it from the tone of your response that you think the people on this thread should mind their own business and that it is up to each individual to worry about their own personal safety?
Yes.

We ride motorcycles, perhaps the most dangerous transportation in common use. The danger is very real and having our senses tuned to a high, animal-like level while riding is one of the thrills. I'm never more alive than when riding my bikes, because I'm constantly aware that one mis-step at 80mph is certain death.

In my post(s) I was attempting to point out the absurdity of having other bikers draw the lines of safety for me. We're all unsafe at the most fundamental level.

Personally I'm a boring driver, never sexting while riding, wears a helmet, blah blah. I've been riding since 1976 and have driven like a geezer ever since becoming one about 12 years ago. That's MY business. I'm not gonna tell you to not speed, wear a helmet, don't use a cell phone, etc - I sincerely couldn't care less what you do.

You know, Skeez - on a personal level, can you really read my previous OBVIOUSLY tongue-in-cheek post and think that I was attempting to be an "Internet Tough Guy"? Seriously?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:23 AM
grumpygy
Tourer

I have been known to mistakenly trigger my air horns when riding along side some cager with a phone stuck in their ear.
I just downshift and nail it. Seen a couple of phone thrown up in surprize.

If I ride at a steady pace she is almost quite, so its easy to sneak up on them. But cracking the throttle wakes up everybody.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 AM
GlassBikerNC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DynaMightBuzz
Yesterday three of us rode to a local bike rally for the afternoon. Not what I expected but it was ok. Good band and some very cool old bikes.

Anyhow, on our way out, we were riding down Main St cruising along at about 40 mph. In front of me was this dude on a bagger and I noticed his left hand to the side of his helmet. At first I thought he was adjusting his strap but as I pulled by him on his left I saw he was talking on his cell phone. I wanted to kick te idiot off his bike. As I rode by I looked at him and shook my head. I think he knew why.

This is the 2nd time this year I saw someone riding a bagger while talking on their cell phone. What is it with you bagger guys anyway? You got your stereos, cup holders, nav systems and lord knows what else. So what's next, a small screen TV so you can watch Oprah on your way back from work? Maybe a little laptop station so you can check your emails? LOL

Ok I'm just Fk'in with you guys. I have nothing against baggers or anyone who rides them. I do however want to know if there is anyone on here that talks on their cell phone while riding....baggers or not. Anyone?
I saw a couple of people talking on their phone riding around Angier Saturday.

A couple of weeks ago I saw someone on a crotch rocket texting while riding going down I-95.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:43 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It about getting time to Bail on this thread the Mother Hens are starting to come out.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:08 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toastman

the only reason i wouldn't get a bike is i'd miss too many texts from jessica (my cousin) when i was riding...have either of you guys ever texted while you're riding?

i said to the guy very nicely, "eric, i don't think a bike is for you..."

only solution is to get rid of all the damn cell phones.
sounds like eric shouldn't be driving around in a cage either...jeez...how p-whipped can a guy be?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I'm guilty to some degree; I sometimes use my cellphone, GPS, MP3 and Sat radio ...but via my bluetooth headset. Let me caveat by saying that if I'm in the $hit, then no, I don't want anything intruding on my focus. But when I'm cruzin down the road/super slab, yup, no issues with the above.

Bluegrass gave me an idea with his DVD remark, so I might need to look into selling the RK and getting a geezer glide. I could play the kids wii on those looooong boring Interstates.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:14 PM
road_king_rob
Tourer

When I got my ultra - my first bike with a radio - I wouldn't even turn on the radio the first few times. I listen to it now, but try not to mess with it while driving. Think I'd rather get a bit more familiar with the bike first.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Jon H
Road Master

Originally Posted by RHPAW
I was ordering a pizza. It's hard to deliver it in under 30 minutes if you keep moving.

Then it's free.

Ya, and they must be really pissed when they catch up with ya!
The visual is really funny.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
stevent
Road Master

This whole thread is ridicules because idjits don't ride baggers, everyone knows that !!!! (sheesh)

Quick Reply: Yet another idiot on a bagger.