General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant sell bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default hard-sell

Originally Posted by PineyRider
...I think it's more the "look" that kept it from selling more than the price...It needs a front fender to appeal to more people...
It does look a lot different than when I first brought it home. It would have probably sold easier in that configuration....
I believe you're right that it would have more appeal in stock configuration. But it is your reserve which prevented it from selling. It seems, these days, that most bike auctions on eBay don't meet the seller's reserve.

If you start buying more eBay parts just to increase its' appeal, it might work or it might not, but you'll have even more money to try to get out of it, plus labor. When you decide to actually sell it go easy on creating a reserve; let the market tell you what is the right price; I don't believe $5,000-$7500 sounds right. My '09 was $9,000. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's tough all over. People are buying new and getting a great rate on financing.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:05 AM
chromedome09
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like stated it's the times.. economy sucks. I paid just under $8000.00 for my 86'FXR new back in 86'.. I sold it for $10,500.00 back in 2002.

I think the market has been steadily on the decline since then. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's you couldn't touch a new bike around here for under MSRP. Now you can.

If I had the $5,500 for the bobber softtail I'd buy it. Unfortunatly like a lot of people now days, I'm just getting by.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:19 AM
babyray
Tourer

Originally Posted by jurob
Most people selling used bikes are asking way too much. This is not the 90's!

I'm looking for another bike and I will find a great deal.

If someone thinks I'm going to overpay because they overpaid, they will not sell their bike.

Like mentioned, if your bike is not selling your price is too high! You may not agree, but it's still for sale.
Your right, in the late 80's,90's you could pretty much name your price.You had to order your new bike and took monthes to get it. You can thank Harley for part of the problem by substantially increasing production levels. Now its just another ***** product same as a Yamaha or Honda.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:16 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lo-rider
I believe you're right that it would have more appeal in stock configuration. But it is your reserve which prevented it from selling. It seems, these days, that most bike auctions on eBay don't meet the seller's reserve.

If you start buying more eBay parts just to increase its' appeal, it might work or it might not, but you'll have even more money to try to get out of it, plus labor. When you decide to actually sell it go easy on creating a reserve; let the market tell you what is the right price; I don't believe $5,000-$7500 sounds right. My '09 was $9,000. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Lo-Rider, The shame of it is, it only missed reserve by $400. If I were standing there in the driveway with the buyer I think we could have come to a compromise.

My numbers came from checking e-bays completed listings for 86-90 Softails. Seems like Big-Twin Harleys start at $5,000. As bad as the economy is I don't think you'll find any big-twins going much lower unless they are salvage sales. I saw one that sold for $4,500. But some auctions make me laugh, like a 1990 stock Softail "buy-it-now" for $18,000 and they have the auction starting bid at $14,500. What are these guys thinking?!?!?!

I have been an auto mechanic for 30 years and an "After hours" bike mechanic for about 20 years now. And since I'm currently unemployed, labor for converting the bike back to a heritage is not a concern. If I weren't fiddling with the bike I'd probably just be puttering around in the house. I have most of the parts that I took off originally because I bought extras back when I got the other stuff powdercoated so I could just swap out everything. I just didn't feel like pulling a third bike apart since I have two other bikes I'm working on currently, I was just hoping it sold this past week to get it out of the way.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:37 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The correct price for the current market will sell the bike. You just may not want to sell at that price.

$500,000 Condos on the beach in the Florida panhandle are now $250,000 and not selling at all. So they need to go to under $200,000.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:09 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I picked up an '06 Super Glide last year for 5k with less than 1000 miles on it and a few extras. When I made the guy the offer he didn't even flinch at accepting it. He said it had been on the market for 3-4 months and I was the first to show up with $$$

Old 06-27-2010, 04:23 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuco069
Its the economy guys, unless my math is off nearly one in ten folks are out of work. Wife and I had the house on the market for three months, one looker. We realized prices have been depressed and priced ours accordingly. We had hoped to take "advantage" of a depressed market and low interest rates. Took it off the market a month ago. Unless you have to sell it, it may be better to wait a few months.
Or a few years.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Blue Ice
Intermediate

I think EVERYBODY is looking for a steal! I got a steal on my 08 Dyna and it looks like I'm going to have to post a steal to sell my loaded Sportster. I'm dropped my sale price by 300 - 500 bucks per week until I started getting some interest. Unfortunatly, the phone started ringing when my price was about 50% of what I have in the bike after only 12 months.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Fnortner
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see stuff on craigslist that makes me just shake my head. People want back what they put into the bike, or close to it. An '09 FXSTC for 21,000 has been in there. He then lists all the improvements along with the prices of all the improvements and goes on to say you get to steal it for 5,000 less than he has into it. Good luck with all that.

I really think when you add options to your bike you do so at your expense. Especially in a 2010 economy.

Quick Reply: cant sell bike