Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant sell bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:49 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default your price is too high

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Devil Dog
Without even knowing what it is, your price is too high. Price is what sells everything.
+1 This is worth repeating.

Perhaps not the OP (who failed to mention an asking price), personally, but many sellers, no matter how much of your original purchase price you would prefer not to lose, no matter how much you spent on aftermarket gimcrack, no matter how much you "hope" to get, no matter how "mint" you believe your bike's condition, no matter how much you believe your bike is worth,...there is a price at which your bike will sell--that is generally called fair market value (what someone will actually pay you.) Asking a great deal more than that causes your bike to remain for sale indefinitely and become "stale" to buyers who use the media in which you advertise; it becomes more stale even after you realise your mistake and drop the price (usually by not enough.) Of course you might always hope for a sucker.

Often you hear a bunch of bluster: "I'm not going to GIVE it away!!!" Whatever that means. Or: "I'm not desperate--if you don't like my price, don't buy it." Some of these "sellers" have had their bikes listed for more than a year!!! Yet they are determined to "not lose money", even while their bike depreciates further, with more and more "fresh" offerings coming on the market.

If you price your bike near fair market value (not Blue Book), eliminate any issues, and advertise it intelligently and honestly, with good photos, it will sell. It is sometimes a good idea to remove very specialized custom accessories for sale separately. Many prefer to buy in near-original condition, and at least don't want to spend extra on accessories which someone else likes more than they do.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:53 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All depends on the area you are in. My local dealer has no problem selling new or used bikes. I have had my '02 Fat Boy for sale for about 2 months and not one bite. I see bikes being sold for very low prices on Craigslist as some people need to sell. I am lucky, I don't need to sell so I can wait as long as it takes.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Funnygirl
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you look up "fair market value"?
I mean, how do you determine that before you run your very first ad?
(If Blue Book doesn't count...)

Old 06-06-2010, 04:04 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

With one fourth of the country unemployed , and another fourth scared they will soon be .... Well , that pretty much sums it up . Good luck .

Old 06-06-2010, 04:12 PM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people selling used bikes are asking way too much. This is not the 90's!

I'm looking for another bike and I will find a great deal.

If someone thinks I'm going to overpay because they overpaid, they will not sell their bike.

Like mentioned, if your bike is not selling your price is too high! You may not agree, but it's still for sale.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:13 PM
freddyttt
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by likitysplit
have had my 04 wide glide for sale for 5 weeks and not even a nibble.Bike is super clean & 13,000 miles. Any body else out there also trying to sell theirs having any luck.

Id guess your asking over 7,000 for it.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:17 PM
blugene501
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you asking $

Old 06-06-2010, 04:18 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Any bike is only worth what someone will pay for it. It doesn't matter what you think it's worth. The market sets the value. You may think you are giving the bike away, but if no one wants it then you are asking too much.
It's that simple. Supply and demand... economics 101...

Old 06-06-2010, 04:25 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default fair market value

Originally Posted by Funnygirl
Where do you look up "fair market value"?
I mean, how do you determine that before you run your very first ad?
(If Blue Book doesn't count...)
Good question. I don't think it's as easy as just "looking up" fair market value. Just like buyers, sellers must do their own due diligence. Market value can be estimated by actual current selling prices. Looking at closing prices for eBay auctions of bikes very similar to your own will lead you close to it; you will have to adjust for equipment, condition, mileage, location... Many eBay bike auctions end in "reserve not met" because the sellers have valued them higher than market. One sees their listings over and over.

And Blue Book does count, just not the way it once did. With today's economy I believe selling prices are in the area of low (wholesale) book price. And there is also a large difference between prices a dealer might get vs that which a private sale would bring.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Have you looked-----

Originally Posted by likitysplit
have had my 04 wide glide for sale for 5 weeks and not even a nibble.Bike is super clean & 13,000 miles. Any body else out there also trying to sell theirs having any luck.
Adding to what others have said about price, have you looked at your methods of trying to sell? Craigslist to me attracts a lot of people who are either lookie loos, scammers or just plain dead beats. They all seem to want a deal (make that steal) and just won't pay your price. Free ad - same story. If you're going to advertise, look for a reputable median to do that. You might look at your dealer and see what they offer in terms of consignment sales. You may have to give up a little of your price in terms of commission, but they have more of a handle on the market than you do, they have financing sources and they can probably get you better price than you can on your own. It's worth looking into. Good luck.

Quick Reply: cant sell bike