General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No MORE REFUNDS - Advanced Carbon Composites ACC Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:52 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

DOT approval is self assigned or self awarded, however you want to call it. The Gooberment doesn't perform the tests, the manufacturer or a company hired by them does the testing, supposedly saying they meet the DOT specs. So, ACC made the helmets, supposedly tested them and said they passed, but when DOT tested them (or had them tested) the helmets failed. ACC & DOT went back and forth several times on the testing, and mods to help pass the testing. In the end, ACC helmets couldn't pass, and the DOT hammered ACC, essentially having them sign an agreement that ACC would never make helmets again.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
DOT approval is self assigned or self awarded, however you want to call it. The Gooberment doesn't perform the tests, the manufacturer or a company hired by them does the testing, supposedly saying they meet the DOT specs. So, ACC made the helmets, supposedly tested them and said they passed, but when DOT tested them (or had them tested) the helmets failed. ACC & DOT went back and forth several times on the testing, and mods to help pass the testing. In the end, ACC helmets couldn't pass, and the DOT hammered ACC, essentially having them sign an agreement that ACC would never make helmets again.
That's correct, the helmets were never DOT-compliant. ACC engaged in an incredibly deceptive business practice and basically lied to its customers. The helmets are completely unsafe, and failed 7 out of 8 of the DOT performance tests.....And this is the latest test, if you have an older ACC helmet, it's even less safe.

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...40109-2008.pdf

Now I agree, it was a decent looking helmet, and it was comfortable, but it offered next to no crash protection.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:22 PM
bks6721
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by King FLH
I'm sorry to bring this back to the top, but I guess I missed how they could have gotten DOT approval on these things, and then suddenly they're not DOT approved. Where was the mix up?
I have one of these I bought 3 years ago, and while it sure was light, the chin strap was placed too far back and the "buckle" was the cheesiest thing I'd ever seen on a supposedly real motorcycle helmet. I'd seen better bicycle helmet buckles. I kept it anyway and still use it occasionally, but when it's windy it wants to hang off the back of my head like a parachute. I use a Skid Lid now, but I don't like it much.
DOT does not actively test helmets. They have a standard that must be met. If a helmet co has a helmet they feels meets the standard they put a DOT "compliant" sticker on it. The stickers do not come from the DOT. If you search around the internet you'll find that the DOT has actually tested under 100 helmets since the standard was established.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,444 Likes on 2,596 Posts

05 Train or anyone else can you explain what all these numbers mean.I like mine and it's a lot better helmet than 2 other DOT helmets I have.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:17 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well looks like i just sqeeked out a check from them...Cashed it money spent.....nice! Got my check last week.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:12 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if any local LEO who decided to check a guy's old ACC lid for "compliance" and saw the DOT sticker, would then say, "No good. I received personal notification that this company lost their certification".

Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Auckland
Tourer

Alot of people get in a hussy over DOT compliant. DOT is a 14 mph test. Snell is a 30 mph test. How many people never ride faster than 14 mph?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:00 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Best helmet ever made as far as size and weight. too bad the gastpo removed their rating

Old 06-09-2010, 02:54 PM
JOHNNYWISHBONE
Intermediate

the ACC helmets will become highly sought-after collector items, selling on e-bay for thousands of dollars.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:47 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Qball
Sent mine back a few weeks ago and it returned today. No refund and phones are disconnected. I called the DOT recall number and they said they could just file a complaint and probably nothing will come out of it. So helmet will go in trash and off to buy an HD one! At least I wore it for a few years without needing it!
Don't throw it away!!! send it to me - I'll pay the postage.........

Quick Reply: No MORE REFUNDS - Advanced Carbon Composites ACC Helmets