General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet communications

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:19 PM
StreetBobTeacher
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet communications

I have been wanting to get a helmet communication/bluetooth system, but after reading one after another review on the internet I still don't know whether or not to get a Nolan N-com Bluetooth-2 system or a Scala Rider g4 system. I want to be able to talk to a rider on another bike and also be able to use my iphone in stereo mode. I have fairly loud pipes and am concerned that I won't be able to hear. The Nolan system is more expensive, but is more streamline...is it worth the extra money? Who has used either of these and can give me some advise?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 AM
n2thecraft
Advanced

me and girl ride seperate bikes, we use a Scala system. Never paired it to my phone so I can't speak for that, but as for as bike to bike communication, I'm crazy impressed with it.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:49 PM
StreetBobTeacher
Advanced

Thanks for the info

Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Scala G4 PowerSet and I like it. The headsets come paired from the factory and I paired mine with my GPS, which is paired to my cell phone. The GPS passes calls through to the Cardo if I choose to accept them. I plug my iPod in directly with the included cable. I could add an A2DP bluetooth adapter to my iPod and run it wireless, but it would just be another thing to charge.

I like not being tethered to the bike or a passenger. Charging the headsets is simple. You can use the AC included adapters or charge from your PC. I travel with a laptop, so I have a choice on long trips. A short day or two trip wouldn't require a charge.

I found my set new from an Amazon.com seller for $329.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 PM
GlassBikerNC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n2thecraft
me and girl ride seperate bikes, we use a Scala system. Never paired it to my phone so I can't speak for that, but as for as bike to bike communication, I'm crazy impressed with it.
What type of helmet do you wear? My wife and I both have 3/4 helmets and I would like get one that we can use with those.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:30 AM
StreetBobTeacher
Advanced

Great info. Thanks. Have had some hesitation with the Scala rider since it mounts outside the helmet. Do you hear wind noise or feel it affect your helmet at highway speeds?

Old 07-18-2010, 04:44 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by StreetBobTeacher
I have been wanting to get a helmet communication/bluetooth system, but after reading one after another review on the internet I still don't know whether or not to get a Nolan N-com Bluetooth-2 system or a Scala Rider g4 system. I want to be able to talk to a rider on another bike and also be able to use my iphone in stereo mode. I have fairly loud pipes and am concerned that I won't be able to hear. The Nolan system is more expensive, but is more streamline...is it worth the extra money? Who has used either of these and can give me some advise?
I have Khrome Werks pipes and use a Cellular Line Bluetooth com. I have to put it to full volume, but it's very good.
It's mono, so you can't use it with a player, but I don't listen to music while riding, so it's ok anyway.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:18 AM
jjnor
Intermediate

We've had the Scala Rider Q2, for a couple of years now (my wife has her own bike).....best thing we've ever bought. We have them on all of our helmets (both open face, and full face) I just bought the headsets, and brackets, and swap the 2 radio's.

I have mine paired up to my Tom Tom gps...Can't go wrong with them IMO..

Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 AM
jward
Tourer

Originally Posted by StreetBobTeacher
Great info. Thanks. Have had some hesitation with the Scala rider since it mounts outside the helmet. Do you hear wind noise or feel it affect your helmet at highway speeds?
Not at all...I have one mounted to a full face and a 3/4...

Old 07-18-2010, 06:45 AM
kickstart pan
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Scala on E-bay stores for about 1/2 of what the local shops wanted for them.
Ran 3/4 helmet with faceshields.
Works great.
I never tried the cell phone/bluetooth, communication was all I wanted

Quick Reply: Helmet communications