General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet communications

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:17 PM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkBite
Just recently purchased the Scala Q2 for a long trip this week. Mounted on our half helmets. Used it for about 10 minutes and had to shut it off. Impossible to hear at highway speed and just seemed to amplify the exhaust sound through the headset. My exhaust is loud (4.5inch jackpot pipes from fuel moto). Judging from all the positive feedback about this set I wonder if part of it is 'operator error'...set me straight somebody!!! Volume turned up max and putting speaker as close to ear as possible.
Buddy and I have put over 25,000 miles on the bikes using the Q2. Without question the best investment made. I use it on my half helmet as well as the 3/4. I to had issues but here is how I was able to solve some of the items. First of all take the MIC covers off and put some black tape on one side of the MIC. This will prevent the highway noise from activating the mics. Also make sure you pay attention to the location of the mic in front of the helmet. On the speakers they have to be at my ears. If they are misadjusted any on the half helmet I can not hear what is said but I can hear the pipes. There are speaker pouches for half helmets. I use them and put napkings behind the speakers pushing the speakers as close to the ears as possible. Hope this helps.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 AM
motorcyclecommunications
Former Sponsor

Sharkbite we have three different thicknesses of the mike wind socks. The thicker the more noise canceling. You can also upgrade your speakers and get much more volume by doing so. There was also another person asking if there was a stereo Q2. The Q2 is a stereo unit providing it is hard wired. It does not support A2DP (wireless stereo) only wired. The High Tech V2 supports the A2DP profile. We have a video (How To) on replacing your speakers. Click on the link below.
http://www.motorcycle-communications...r_upgrade.html

Regards, Clay Thompson

Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 PM
nightop
Intermediate

Had a Q2 and now the G4. Liked the Q2 LOVE the G4. Paired up to my smart phone, I get GPS directions, MP3 stereo music, and can take or leave a voice call. Easy to pair up with my brother who also has the G4 for when we ride together. So much easier to discuss a gas or pee stop. FM radio reception leaves a little to be desired.

Someone else asked about removability. The part of it you charge removes in just a second but the boom mic remains.

I use either a 3/4 or a FF Modular. On one of the FF Modulars the mic is not a problem. On the other one due to the way it is constucted trying to get the boom mic placed properly is a pita.

Greg

Old 07-27-2011, 02:11 PM
trgtshtr
Cruiser

Scala Q worst choice I ever made. Wife rides her own and she heard every word I said. I used to be able to scream and holler about her driving... now I just get in trouble. I am thinking about cutting off my mike with snips... I am just supposed to listen anyway!