General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010 | 11:44 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

--------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-09-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-06-2010 | 12:28 AM
Onedaful
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
This s#^t kills me. Sounds to me like you girl scouts that are sniveling about loud Harleys are maybe better suited to riding Hondas. We were running loud pipes while you were wearing gold chains and dancing at the disco and we will still be running loud pipes long after you "bikers" move on to the next fad that comes along. Waaaah! German style helmets offend me!, loud pipes hurt my vagina! ATGATT! Waaaah!!

Loud pipes do save lives, If you put some time (years) in riding you would know that.
+1 Thank you i cant believe how many people care about what other people are doing, you want to be safe or 50 state safe then what do you have to worry about? Your fine. You want to be loud then thats your choice who gives a s****

Last edited by Onedaful; 06-06-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-06-2010 | 11:22 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am becoming more and more disenchanted with this forum every day. It seems it is becoming less of forum about motorcycling and the joys associated with it and more of a platform for the "net nannies" to preach their virtues of righteousness and political correctness. There are some on here who seem to support causes which place more restrictions or constraints on motorcyclists.
Harley riders have been a rebellious group for years. We have long resisted the efforts of the public and/or government to transform us into conformists. The more I read on here, the more I am convinced that we, as a group, are being slowly drawn into the web they are spinning. We are becoming a dying breed, sucked into this notion that we should be more concerned about the rights of others and less concerned with our rights.

Old 06-06-2010 | 11:44 AM
Wingnut51
Tourer

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
Quote:
All motorcyclists should be sensitive to community standards and respect the right of fellow citizens to enjoy a peaceful environment.

Its a two way street. The same old fart that raises hell about me when I drive by his house on the way home from work at 1030p has a yippin' a$$ ankle bitin' mutt that barks all the time.
I'm sorry, I didn't know about that old fart and his yippin' mutt. In that case it's obvious that the mature response to his insensitivity would be run by his house with really loud pipes to drown out his noise. I sure hope he's not some kind of ******** who would try to retaliate by doing something really stupid like making even more noise than your bike. Anyone who attempts to restrain loud motorcycles clearly doesn't understand the culture and has no respect for their right to make noise. Please accept my apology as I didn't understand that your rights were more important than mine.

Old 06-06-2010 | 11:51 AM
MilesJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wingnut51
I'm sorry, I didn't know about that old fart and his yippin' mutt. In that case it's obvious that the mature response to his insensitivity would be run by his house with really loud pipes to drown out his noise. I sure hope he's not some kind of ******** who would try to retaliate by doing something really stupid like making even more noise than your bike. Anyone who attempts to restrain loud motorcycles clearly doesn't understand the culture and has no respect for their right to make noise. Please accept my apology as I didn't understand that your rights were more important than mine.

Considering this thread started with a post about Edmonton, and you are talking about one's rights being more important than another, why does the city think it's ok to txt and drive which can kill someone, but not ok to have a loud motorcycle, which can only annoy someone. And it's ok to have a loud stereo, car, truck, bus, just not a motorcycle.

And the point of his post was, why is it only motorcycle noise that is being singled out for eradication. I have lived in the city and the country. And I knew damn well when I moved back in to the city it is loud. Buses, trucks, bikes, parties, whatever. In this same city, a race track was shut down many years ago due to houses complaining about the noise. Except when the track was built there was nothing around it for miles. People bought their houses next to it, then complained. Same think with our municipal airport in town. People move there, then complain cause it's too noisy. What the hell did they expect? This is not cottage country it's a damn city.

If they want to make it quiet, then enforce noise bylaws across the board equally, not just on motorcycles!

Last edited by MilesJ; 06-06-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-06-2010 | 12:01 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I am becoming more and more disenchanted with this forum every day. It seems it is becoming less of forum about motorcycling and the joys associated with it and more of a platform for the "net nannies" to preach their virtues of righteousness and political correctness. There are some on here who seem to support causes which place more restrictions or constraints on motorcyclists.
Harley riders have been a rebellious group for years. We have long resisted the efforts of the public and/or government to transform us into conformists. The more I read on here, the more I am convinced that we, as a group, are being slowly drawn into the web they are spinning. We are becoming a dying breed, sucked into this notion that we should be more concerned about the rights of others and less concerned with our rights.
I'll agree with ya on one point. HDForums has become a very PC forum. So much so, that somedays I have to wonder if I'm reading a Harley-Davidson forum, or an all brands forum.

Old 06-06-2010 | 12:03 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have drag pipes. I have Rinehart Duals. I have never went and complained about his dog. Nor have I compained when he fires up his lawn mower with the burnt out muffler at 7am on a Saturday or Sunday morning. I always made a conscious effort to not "blip" the throttle or make anymore noise than was necessary to power my scoot around the corner and get to my driveway. He is so deaf that you can hear his TV from the street when he has his windows open. I'm quite sure that he doesn't even know his dog is barking.
Some people just need to have something to b!tch about.

Old 06-06-2010 | 12:05 PM
Wingnut51
Tourer

You have the right of free speech and the rest of the Bill of Rights. You do not have the "right" to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater; you do not have the "right" to carry a gun into a government building; you do not have the "right" to smoke in most restaurants; you do not have the "right" to create noise that is offensive by community standards. I am concerned about retaining my "right" to ride a motorcycle. It is a small minority of bikers that create the most problems. However, if the government casts a net of legislation to catch those offenders, it will inevitably catch many of us who are doing nothing wrong. If I can help rein in some of this "rebellious group" and avoid government intervention then I will do so. I suspect I'm wasting my breath though as almost everybody reading this is convinced that they are not part of the problem. Believe it or not, showing a little consideration for your fellow man is not a terrible way to live.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Old 06-06-2010 | 12:12 PM
MilesJ
Road Master

You have the right of free speech and the rest of the Bill of Rights. You do not have the "right" to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater; you do not have the "right" to carry a gun into a government building; you do not have the "right" to smoke in most restaurants; you do not have the "right" to create noise that is offensive by community standards. I am concerned about retaining my "right" to ride a motorcycle. It is a small minority of bikers that create the most problems. However, if the government casts a net of legislation to catch those offenders, it will inevitably catch many of us who are doing nothing wrong. If I can help rein in some of this "rebellious group" and avoid government intervention then I will do so. I suspect I'm wasting my breath though as almost everybody reading this is convinced that they are not part of the problem. Believe it or not, showing a little consideration for your fellow man is not a terrible way to live.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Please explain that. You are either riding a bike with pipes loud enough to be illegal or you aren't in which case you have no problem. Or is it that you think you get to decide what is too loud but no one else does?

And btw I don't run straight pipes nor is my bike loud so I am definitely not part of the problem as even if this bylaw is enacted, I will come in under the limit.

"...you do not have the "right" to create noise that is offensive by community standards."

According to the law as written in this case, you do, as long as it is not done with a motorcycle.

Old 06-06-2010 | 12:16 PM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foodog
..............None of us want restrictions on our pipes but if people don't learn to exercise common sense we'll all be riding sewing machines.
Non-riding people are getting totally upset with load pipes and we will all face severe restrictions that will be enforced if we don't get reasonable.
Here are some examples with noise source, decibel level, and noise effect.

Average factory , Freight train= 80 decibels =Possible hearing damage

Busy urban street,Diesel truck = 90 decibels = hearing damage (8 hrs)

Power lawn mower, Motorcycle, jackhammer = 100 decibels =serious hearing damage (8 hrs)

The noise level limit in Oregon for motorcycles is 99 decibels measured at 20".
The AMA lists the laws of each state, here's a link:
http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Many aftermarket pipes and mufflers are over 100 decibels. If locals start to complain about our pipes to their elected state officials we will all suffer because some irresponsible person has to wake the dead.

Quick Reply: loud pipes ?