General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:05 AM
Dick Darko
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had V&H Longshots w/ no baffles strapped to a 124" S&S Super... that baby made some noise. I was cited via the Riot Act twice and ended up taking them off. Suckers sounded like a freaking monster truck, which was awesome, but not worth all the fines...

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:13 AM
Damage_Inc
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riskyfool
I can't stand government regulation in almost any form, and I am not at all for this.

That said, just out curiousity because I really don't know...but isn't 96 decibles fairly loud? Like I said, I don't know but I quote from AC/DC's song, "Let there be Rock"..."It was a 96 decible rockin' band..." Do you think most bikes are really that loud?
I would hazard a guess that a lot aftermarket pipes are over 98db at speed

Originally Posted by leicafish
Annother over discussed thread. That will end with the fact that we bought this on ourselves. All you guys with load pipe saves life mentality , spastic throttle hands and butt rude straight pipes in city streets have no b^tch hear forward because you gave all of the cities the reason to legislate the types of rule every where.
You have slip-ons on both your bikes right???
I guarantee someone out there that's heard your bike thinks you're just another one of us "loud pipes save lifes" biker and that your bike is too loud. You may disagree but you're S.O.L when the man decides to pull you over because it's his discretion to do so. You can't blame me... I didn't tell you to change your pipes.

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:38 AM
Wingnut51
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Darko
i had V&H Longshots w/ no baffles strapped to a 124" S&S Super... that baby made some noise. I was cited via the Riot Act twice and ended up taking them off. Suckers sounded like a freaking monster truck, which was awesome, but not worth all the fines...
This is what angers the general public and causes them to go running to their legislators for relief. I'm sure the noisiest bikers are aware that it pisses people off, in fact, I'll bet they relish the attention. Why don't you realize that you can irritate people just so much before they start clamping down with restrictive laws that usually end up affecting all of us.

Old 06-04-2010 | 10:03 AM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
It's pretty much going that way everywhere.The noisier the world gets the quiter certain zealots want all vehicles to become.They seem to find it easier to single out bikers.You can bet on one thing,once all bikes are whisper quiet those same zealots will be after anything else that even squeaks.That way they can look forward to really enjoying their Tinnitus right into their senior years.Hopefully it is really loud!!! Tsk Tsk
I hate that they're singling out bikes. My Corvette is louder than my bike but I got a fix it once for that. Now that the electric cars are showing up they're putting in laws that they have to make them noisier because people don't hear them coming. Our government is just looking out for our safety and some jerk makes six figures a year to think of these things. I think they should go back in the hole they crawled out of and let us have a life without all these stupid rules.

Lisa

Old 06-04-2010 | 10:11 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

There's a bike around here that will literally hurt your ears when it goes by. It's totally obnoxious and unnecessarily loud. The cops seem to be pretty cool with loud pipes but enough complaints and they will soon start to tighten the screws. I have V&H Big Shots with quiet baffles on my bike and I try really hard not to annoy people. I don't blip the throttle at stop lights and putt quietly through residential areas. None of us want restrictions on our pipes but if people don't learn to exercise common sense we'll all be riding sewing machines.

Old 06-04-2010 | 10:22 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

Just like this old Stink Eye, I had a light the other day LOLs!

Old 06-04-2010 | 11:56 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage_Inc
I would hazard a guess that a lot aftermarket pipes are over 98db at speed

You have slip-ons on both your bikes right???
I guarantee someone out there that's heard your bike thinks you're just another one of us "loud pipes save lifes" biker and that your bike is too loud. You may disagree but you're S.O.L when the man decides to pull you over because it's his discretion to do so. You can't blame me... I didn't tell you to change your pipes.
That is right I do have slip ons.

Read the whole description "50 state legal with the EPA stamp". So if I got pulled over all of the numbers match so nothing would happen. And I can guarantee you I am not "loud pipes save life's biker" Engaged brains save lives not loud pipes.

But the issue that bringing this to a head are the idiot riders with the following attitudes "screw the world it is my right to make all of the noise I want", " I am real loud look at me" and last "loud pipes save lives". You guys have brought this whole thing upon us all. And there will be legislation that will be even more restricted than in the near future, that is a fact. Thanks to you!

Last edited by leicafish; 06-04-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2010 | 12:01 PM
harleyriv
Road Master

...needs to be just loud enough to set car alarms off...

Old 06-04-2010 | 12:21 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master

While I think most of the public are overly sensitive crybabies and legislation has gotten ridiculous there are some people out there that take it too far.

1. I was hanging in Ocean Beach, San Diego one beautiful day just relaxing waiting to get into Hodad's when a guy makes the right off Sunset Cliffs onto Newport. He heard a car alarm chirp so he had to rev the crap out of his bike until the car went off. So...there we all are having a good time and this douchbag not only revs the **** out of his bike, but rides off leaving us listening to a fecking car alarm.

2. Crossing the Hoover Dam on my way to Vegas. Two guys on nice choppers that sounded kick *** just idling (perfect potato-potato sound) decided they needed to rev over and over again the entire 30 minutes it took us to get over the dam. The place is covered with tourists just trying to visit the dam. They didn't want or need to hear these guys bikes. I have no idea why these guys decided they needed to do it and I was really embarrased to be behind them for fear I would be lumped in with them.

I admit that I have Thunderheader slipons. They aren't over-the-top loud, but they have a very deep rumble that sets off car alarms. I don't apologize for having them. I would apologize if I acted the way I pointed out above.

Last edited by Bluegrasser; 06-04-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2010 | 12:36 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

i've been pulled over twice for my pipes.. 1 3/4 drags... once was just an add on.. took out his knight stick and slid it all the way up the tail pipe.... Illegal Exhaust modification ticket issued by the sheriff ...and one while cruising in the village of my town he pulled out his knight stick and tried to put it in the exhaust pipe but i had the bolt in so he thought i had baffles... got a ticket for Drag Pipes With Baffles... For the sheriff one i went to the prescient and got a Fix it certificate so it was dismissed and for the 2nd i went to village court and fought it and won.. i told him i put my stocks back on. both dismissed

Quick Reply: loud pipes ?