General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010 | 06:17 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-------------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-07-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2010 | 06:41 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesJ
And I love how they are gonna go after bikes only, not people like the mutton head that was at a light night to me and who's stereo was drowning out my bike...

Not to mention that here in Edmonton we have bus driver getting beaten half to death, women being stabbed in the LRT (subway) stations and not enough law enforcement, but they are suddenly going to have enough officers to spend their days running around testing bike noise levels.

Give me a f'in break.
There's no money to be made solving crime. TICKETS make money and keep City Officials happy.

They are putting the hammer down here in Halifax NS, all the riders that ride bikes go to a coffee shop out of the City and are left alone. All the "look at me" riders downtown posing, setting off alarms, and over revving their bikes from light to light get pulled over regularly and ticketed. God love them. They are keeping the Law busy in town and leaving the rest of us alone

Old 06-07-2010 | 09:38 PM
MilesJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlueNoser
There's no money to be made solving crime. TICKETS make money and keep City Officials happy.

They are putting the hammer down here in Halifax NS, all the riders that ride bikes go to a coffee shop out of the City and are left alone. All the "look at me" riders downtown posing, setting off alarms, and over revving their bikes from light to light get pulled over regularly and ticketed. God love them. They are keeping the Law busy in town and leaving the rest of us alone
They did that here last year. 350 tickets written for whatever charge they used. But that's not good enough, because apparently not enough money was raised. so now they are going after bikes. Not cars, not trucks, not buses, bikes. The law says specifically bikes, so every mutton head with a loud car exhaust is fine.

And as for setting off alarms, stock Harley exhaust does it.

Old 06-07-2010 | 09:49 PM
beerguz
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Summertime, the time for riding, or having a beer on the deck listening to all the other Harley's out there, children playing in the street, lawn mowers, weed eaters etc. I like those sounds because it means I'm not stting inside freezing my butt off. I hate winter.

Old 06-07-2010 | 09:55 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

instead of a few seconds of tolerance
At 2:30 in the morning, I have no tolerance. Causing the racket just to be noticed is idiotic.

Old 06-07-2010 | 09:57 PM
chromedome09
Road Master

I think loud harley's are cool.. I love to hear one off in the distance, running down the highway .. you can hear him for awhile .. then off into the night he goes.. reminds of hearing wolves or coyotes howling at the moon , off in the distance (back when I lived in the country.

Old 06-08-2010 | 07:12 AM
Wingnut51
Tourer

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
The counter point is (as stated before) loud pipes save lives. Having blinkers and a working brake light save lives as well.

I am not "pro noise" just want to use every resource at my disposal to keep from getting run over by someone who "didn't see me". If that offends someone who can't be bothered to get off the phone while they drive then that's just tough s#!t.

As far as the name calling I believe it was your side who used words like idiots and morons first. My reference to internet bikers was not directed at anyone specifically just a statement of disappointment with the girl scout mentality of some on this forum.
If you took offense, well.....................
That's all right, I've been riding for 41 years and have been called much worse. I'm relatively new to the Harley world though and was caught off guard on how much Harley riders seem to love their pipes. I spent 20 years with the silence of Gold Wings but the sound of my Road King (stock exhaust) is just amazing.

Old 06-08-2010 | 12:35 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
I am becoming more and more disenchanted with this forum every day. It seems it is becoming less of forum about motorcycling and the joys associated with it and more of a platform for the "net nannies" to preach their virtues of righteousness and political correctness. There are some on here who seem to support causes which place more restrictions or constraints on motorcyclists.
Harley riders have been a rebellious group for years. We have long resisted the efforts of the public and/or government to transform us into conformists. The more I read on here, the more I am convinced that we, as a group, are being slowly drawn into the web they are spinning. We are becoming a dying breed, sucked into this notion that we should be more concerned about the rights of others and less concerned with our rights.
Amen Brother... I for one will not go quietly into the night... and no that was not intended to be a pun, just the facts....I know firsthand loud pipes save lives. I enjoy living on the edge, please stop trying to keep me safe, it's my damn life.
Leave my bike, my guns, my booze, and my cigarettes alone.

Old 06-08-2010 | 12:37 PM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master

This bylaw that Edmonton has passed isn't fresh news. They've been working on it for awhile, and it started last year with a ticketing campaign. I have a few buddies that decided to fight their tickets, and still have yet to get a court date. They keep getting postponed. Chances are the city will lose those cases, and my buddies will have a piece of paper saying their pipes are legal. They can not be ticketed for loud pipes in the future if they have that documentation.

For the last 6 months I have been writing letters to any politician that has any input in the matter. Almost all responded, all saying they support the bylaw.

What I'm hoping for, is that they do their little crackdown and then in the future only target riders that are being obnoxious.

One item that sort of blew me away if I get a ticket and don't fix the pipes, the second offense can be up to a $10,000 fine.

Regardless, I'm not going to change my bike. In fact, today I should be picking up my wife's Sporty with the new Rineharts.

As far as the LEOs I've talked to are concerned, this isn't a Motorcycle noise bylaw, it's a Harley Davidson noise bylaw. It's probably a good thing that in Edmonton, a lot of cops ride Harleys.

Old 06-08-2010 | 10:53 PM
beerguz
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ribaldmanikin
This bylaw that Edmonton has passed isn't fresh news. They've been working on it for awhile, and it started last year with a ticketing campaign. I have a few buddies that decided to fight their tickets, and still have yet to get a court date. They keep getting postponed. Chances are the city will lose those cases, and my buddies will have a piece of paper saying their pipes are legal. They can not be ticketed for loud pipes in the future if they have that documentation.

For the last 6 months I have been writing letters to any politician that has any input in the matter. Almost all responded, all saying they support the bylaw.

What I'm hoping for, is that they do their little crackdown and then in the future only target riders that are being obnoxious.

One item that sort of blew me away if I get a ticket and don't fix the pipes, the second offense can be up to a $10,000 fine.

Regardless, I'm not going to change my bike. In fact, today I should be picking up my wife's Sporty with the new Rineharts.

As far as the LEOs I've talked to are concerned, this isn't a Motorcycle noise bylaw, it's a Harley Davidson noise bylaw. It's probably a good thing that in Edmonton, a lot of cops ride Harleys.
I just posted on the Edmonton website, saying this isn't about hating noise, it's about hating motorcycles , mainly Harleys.

Quick Reply: loud pipes ?