General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010 | 07:55 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
Amen brother!! What the hell happened? Oh thats right, Harley went mainstream now we have people like leicafish and wingnut 51 telling us how we need to live our lives. Guess my buddies were right- just a bunch of internet bikers.
Yep...know-it-all newbies taking over. No understanding of things that went before them.

Old 06-06-2010 | 08:36 PM
MilesJ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingnut51
My Road King has stock exhaust. It's not a quiet as a Gold Wing but is still reasonable and I like the sound.

The Georgia governor just signed a law banning texting while driving even though he doesn't know how to enforce it. Ohio just got a green light to ticket drivers who "look" like they're speeding. Do you really trust our government to do the right thing? The current administration scares the hell out of me and the "nanny state" is intruding more and more into our lives. I'm just hoping to avoid any more government restrictions on an activity that we all love. We're losing more of our freedoms every day as it is.

Reasonable by your standards but what about someone else's?

A) the law being discussed is a different government than yours and B) you don't think a law targeting noise from motorcycles and motorcycles only by word of the law isn't nanny state??

But hey you agree with them and go along with it. Remember when that nanny state wants to come after your guns are you going to say its reasonable then?

Old 06-06-2010 | 08:40 PM
MilesJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by baldric
I live in the city that is doing this. There are bikes running straight pipes that are damn load even ones that have baffles that do not reach current sound regs. BUT I have a few complaints about this new bylaw. 1 There already is noise bylaws in effect here try enforcing them.2 This is aimed at motorcycles only{Harleys are the direct aim of this law]
City buses and any construction equip also gas powered lawn mowers and those annoying ice cream trucks would'nt comply with this law. I heard that even the city HD motorcycle fleet would be non compliant wonder how many tickets they'll get?
City has a big Indy car race just north of downtown every year-Non compliant. The list goes on and on and on. If this passes,enforcement must be across the board for all motorized machines not just a specific group. I can see alot of court challenges coming based on our charter of rights act and quite a few others.
MilesJ read your post and agree completely. Just one thing you missed.......There is'nt any money in arresting murderers and rapists and thieves.

And that right there is the center of the point and the driving force behind this law my friend!

<insert small thread hijack>

BTW since you're from Edmonton, come on out and support the troops on our poker run! And I'm sure lot's of the no good, scofflaw, drain on society types will be running loud pipes! www.bestride.ca

We now return you to our regularly scheduled bs!

Old 06-06-2010 | 08:55 PM
OldNumber7
Intermediate

All I know is my dads Goldwing is very quiet. Probably why the kid on the bicycle turned exactly in front of him as he came down the street. The kid was going the same way on the side walk as my dad was on the street. They both had a very bad day, luckily neither was hurt more than scrapes and cuts. I'll bet my loud pipes he wouldn't have turned out in front of my V&H 2 into 1.

Old 06-06-2010 | 09:50 PM
islander08
Advanced

Your pipes are so loud that people around you cringe? Where do you get off saying that you "don't interfere" with other people's lives? When the noise that you produce intrudes into other people's space to that extent, it is most definitely interfering. Everytime I hear excessively loud pipes I'm inclined to support noise restrictions whether it be for loud pipes or loud stereos.
They cringe because they are the ball less PC crowd that wants to look down on me as a HD hellion that is giving all MC riders a bad name. All these assumptions and they don't know di#k about me. The bleeding hearts on this site need to re-evaluate why they choose to ride a HD if they can't agree with and respect the culture started many moons ago. Whether you like it or not, just riding a HD gives off a certain impression to many of the uninformed public. Since riding a loud HD is a life threatening crime, does this also apply to loud crappy sounding metrics? Wake up and smell the coffee, loud pipes save lives. PERIOD

Old 06-07-2010 | 07:44 AM
Wingnut51
Tourer

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
You could be considered a hypocrite sir if you would care to look at your signature.

It mentions keeping your guns and your freedom, yet you choose to side with the political zealots on certain issues regarding rights so long as it doesn't infringe on other rights which you hold dear. Need I remind you that it is those SAME political zealots who are trying to take YOUR guns and other freedoms! Where do you propose we draw the line on the "freedoms" they are allowed to infringe on?

Seatbelts, helmets, smoking, more and more taxes, etc, etc, etc. The list grows larger with every session of our legislature. Maybe you would be well suited to hold political office as it appears you are quite good at straddleing the fence!
Yes, I lobby for the rights of gun owners. Every time a crime is committed with a gun, the liberals want to ban all guns. I also lobby for the rights of motorcyclists because every time a bike with open pipes goes by the liberals want to ban all motorcycles louder than a Gold Wing. Most motorcyclists fall within the current laws, however that small minority that say f*** the law and create the most racket are just making my job harder.

Old 06-07-2010 | 07:51 AM
Wingnut51
Tourer

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
Amen brother!! What the hell happened? Oh thats right, Harley went mainstream now we have people like leicafish and wingnut 51 telling us how we need to live our lives. Guess my buddies were right- just a bunch of internet bikers.
Looks like the discussion on this topic is about finished. The pro-noise crowd is running out of rational counter-points and has resorted to name-calling.

Thanks for listening to my opinions.

Old 06-07-2010 | 08:22 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I lobby for the rights of gun owners. Every time a crime is committed with a gun, the liberals want to ban all guns. I also lobby for the rights of motorcyclists because every time a bike with open pipes goes by the liberals want to ban all motorcycles louder than a Gold Wing. Most motorcyclists fall within the current laws, however that small minority that say f*** the law and create the most racket are just making my job harder.
OK, we are on the same page now. I am not about "pro-noise", I am about pro-choice. It is my position that everytime the government mandates something upon the public we, the public, lose the right to to make choices/decisions of our own. This is a trend that needs to be stopped. We have enough government now, too much actually.

Old 06-07-2010 | 10:06 AM
Wingnut51
Tourer

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
OK, we are on the same page now. I am not about "pro-noise", I am about pro-choice. It is my position that everytime the government mandates something upon the public we, the public, lose the right to to make choices/decisions of our own. This is a trend that needs to be stopped. We have enough government now, too much actually.
Thanks dirtracin23. It's a very emotional issue, much like helmet laws, and words need to be chosen very carefully.

Old 06-07-2010 | 10:10 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

get a post going to have all motorcycle riders meet at a specified location and protest with a rolling of the throttle for a couple of minutes. And then go for a town ride afterwards.

Quick Reply: loud pipes ?