General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010 | 04:31 PM
baldric
Road Warrior
Received 3,114 Likes on 659 Posts

I live in the city that is doing this. There are bikes running straight pipes that are damn load even ones that have baffles that do not reach current sound regs. BUT I have a few complaints about this new bylaw. 1 There already is noise bylaws in effect here try enforcing them.2 This is aimed at motorcycles only{Harleys are the direct aim of this law]
City buses and any construction equip also gas powered lawn mowers and those annoying ice cream trucks would'nt comply with this law. I heard that even the city HD motorcycle fleet would be non compliant wonder how many tickets they'll get?
City has a big Indy car race just north of downtown every year-Non compliant. The list goes on and on and on. If this passes,enforcement must be across the board for all motorized machines not just a specific group. I can see alot of court challenges coming based on our charter of rights act and quite a few others.
MilesJ read your post and agree completely. Just one thing you missed.......There is'nt any money in arresting murderers and rapists and thieves.

Last edited by baldric; 06-06-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-06-2010 | 04:42 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My point exactly!!! Politics has become more of satisfying the desires of the few while ignoring the needs of the masses. We don't need more laws, we need to enforce the ones we already have!

There are far more important issues that need LEO attention than having to run around with a decibel meter hunting down "non-compliant" exhaust sytems.

Last edited by dirtracin23; 06-06-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2010 | 04:46 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
Posers A$$. I would probably be safe to say that I was riding motorcyles when you were being pushed around in a stroller, sucking your thumb, and sh!tting in diapers.

My bike, like the majority of Harleys, is not stock. It also is not overly loud. Is it legal by todays standards, probably not. I am not condoning the idiot with drag pipes that feels the need to "gas it" around every corner to see how many car alarms he can set off or how many windows he can rattle. My point is that with every government regulation enacted to "protect us from ourselves" we creep ever so closer to becoming a communistic society.
hear hear, and that's the problem with people these days, agreeing with more laws and more restrictions, instead of a few seconds of tolerance.

Old 06-06-2010 | 04:55 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eleutheros
hear hear, and that's the problem with people these days, agreeing with more laws and more restrictions, instead of a few seconds of tolerance.
And most of that mentality started 2 states south of you!

Old 06-06-2010 | 05:30 PM
Onedaful
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
Will, you missed the whole point, When you start this whole PC crap you skip the whole cause of the problem. The problem is for riders to use their heads when they are riding. If they are going to modify use your head when you ride. There is no government liberal consiracy here, it is just common sense.

What boggles my mind is why you care so much and how your attacking every other persons opinion because you think your so high and mighty with your 50 state legal slip ons?

I dont see what your problem is its not like your saying, "i have loud pipes but i hate the guys who have extremely loud pipes ( straight pipes etc) making me look bad". You have legal pipes so what do you care about anybody else for?

And whos to say your "legal" pipes haven't made someone else cringe when you drove by them in the first place it sounds hypocritical at best. It also sounds like people here are trying to convince themselves that they are so damn righteous with everything they do

Last edited by Onedaful; 06-06-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2010 | 06:49 PM
bks6721
Tourer

Originally Posted by Wingnut51
You have the right of free speech and the rest of the Bill of Rights. You do not have the "right" to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater; you do not have the "right" to carry a gun into a government building; you do not have the "right" to smoke in most restaurants; you do not have the "right" to create noise that is offensive by community standards. I am concerned about retaining my "right" to ride a motorcycle. It is a small minority of bikers that create the most problems. However, if the government casts a net of legislation to catch those offenders, it will inevitably catch many of us who are doing nothing wrong. If I can help rein in some of this "rebellious group" and avoid government intervention then I will do so. I suspect I'm wasting my breath though as almost everybody reading this is convinced that they are not part of the problem. Believe it or not, showing a little consideration for your fellow man is not a terrible way to live.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
I agree.. in that some people should take into consideration that I like to hear my loud pipes. It can, and should go both ways. We CANNOT become a society than bans anything that someone finds offensive. That, in itself is very offensive to me. lol

Old 06-06-2010 | 07:01 PM
bks6721
Tourer

Originally Posted by leicafish
Will, you missed the whole point, When you start this whole PC crap you skip the whole cause of the problem. The problem is for riders to use their heads when they are riding. If they are going to modify use your head when you ride. There is no government liberal consiracy here, it is just common sense.
Do you think the people that cry enough about loud pipes to get laws passed are only after the guys with no baffles? According to your own sig, you run louder than stock pipes. You are just as much to blame as the guy with drag pipes. They people that cry do not appreciate your 50 state legal pipes. They want YOU ticketed as well. If you insist on taking a stand with the "no loud pipes" group as least try to comply with their desires. YOUR pipes will fail the sound db check.

Old 06-06-2010 | 07:37 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

--------------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-07-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2010 | 07:40 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Loud pipes are music to my ears. Of course Im almost deaf from, rock music, firearms and race cars.

Old 06-06-2010 | 07:54 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 08rock
Loud pipes are music to my ears. Of course Im almost deaf from, rock music, firearms and race cars.
To which I can add screaming kids, the 'ol lady and now .............. screaming grand kids.

Quick Reply: loud pipes ?