General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Biketober Fest and debating about CCW...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:01 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to Biketober Fest and debating about CCW...

So... I think it would be a BAD idea to have my weapon on me while attendind any of the festivities at Biketoberfest.. But I am thinking that while riding down I may wear my pistol. If I was in the car... it would be no question, I would have my pistol with me.

The reason for the post... Anyone think this is going to be too much of a hassel? I am a permit holder and from what I can tell I have reciprocity in SC, GA, and FL. So I should be covered. My concern is... Excessive Police activity. I will be legal and everything but I really do not want to get into any sorta issue with any local PD. Once in Daytona the weapon would be stashed and locked in the destination room. And then the merriment will commence.

Is it just a totally bad idea?

And for anyone wondering... I carry my pistol in the hopes that I NEVER have to use it. But if I am ever put into a situation where I have to choose between myself and the bad guy... I am choosing me. Right now it looks like it is going to be 4 of us doing the ride from NC to FL. I just normally carry my gun while on long trips... I have just not taken this long of a trip on a bike before.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Going to Biketober Fest and debating about CCW...

What bad guys? Where do they hide?

I've drivin through most states, except great plains area, in a cage though... Never came across a bad guy.
Lived in miami at the height of the car jackings, never found one.
Spent a lot of time in a lot of big cities, still none.

So I understand the feeling of safety you get by carrying. However, I don't see the need for really having it.

I'd leave it at home just because of the hassle. If a Georgia State Trooper stops you, well... that could end your trip right there.

FHP doesn't treat tourists too well either, seems everyone is a drug suspect.

If you can't be in possesion of that weapon at all times, it seems like a lot of risk as well.

My 2cents. I'm sure most will disagree with me. Those badguys must be somewhere...

Old 08-19-2006, 09:18 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I would just conceal it.You can do that with a permit right?

Old 08-19-2006, 09:23 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

my old job kept me on the road a lot... Mostly in NC but I did have to drive to SC and FL once in a blue moon.

If you have not seen nastiness on the road... You are a VERY lucky person. I have seen some VERY bad things happening in rest stops. NC used to prohibit carrying Firearms in rest stops... They stopped that ban and ever since violent crimes there have gone down dramatically.

I would not expect a GA trooper to give me too much grief over the weapon as it would be legal. I do understand what you mean though... it almost does seem like it would be too much hassle.

I just always think that the one time I am not carrying is the one time I would probably need it.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:26 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 1FLTRI4ME

I would just conceal it.You can do that with a permit right?
Yep... that is what the CCW is. I have a Glock 22 (.40 Cal) that most people never even realize that I am wearing. =) The guy I buy my holsters from makes great concealment holsters. I have often wondered about using a shoulder rig while on the bike though.

I should also point out that I have NEVER carried while on the bike.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So that's where they hide!

Old 08-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Fastlane
Tourer

Really no reason at biketoberfest except if is you and three naked hot babes. Enjoy, have fun without the gun. A lot of places with no wepon signs, that is a no go with a pistol.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:40 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: went_postal my old job kept me on the road a lot... Mostly in NC but I did have to drive to SC and FL once in a blue moon.
If you have not seen nastiness on the road... You are a VERY lucky person. I have seen some VERY bad things happening in rest stops. NC used to prohibit carrying Firearms in rest stops... They stopped that ban and ever since violent crimes there have gone down dramatically.
I would not expect a GA trooper to give me too much grief over the weapon as it would be legal. I do understand what you mean though... it almost does seem like it would be too much hassle.
I just always think that the one time I am not carrying is the one time I would probably need it.
Take it with you.
You don't have to justify concealed carry. There are plenty of bad guys out there. I say to hell with the liberal democrats that want to disarm everyone, or don't think it is necessary. I am retired LEO and carry under federal HB 214 (or 217 I can't remember which right now). I still qualify once a year with the department I retired from. I carry 90% of the time and have carried a firearm for 30 years.

Occasionally I am put in a position where I end up some where that I shouldn't be carrying. It happens, just be careful. In Ohio you have to notify a police officer if you are carrying, as soon as they stop you or you can be charged with that.

It is illegal to carry in a rest stop in Ohio...

Old 08-19-2006, 09:55 PM
ltdan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: alazlo

ORIGINAL: went_postal my old job kept me on the road a lot... Mostly in NC but I did have to drive to SC and FL once in a blue moon.
Take it with you.
You don't have to justify concealed carry. There are plenty of bad guys out there. I say to hell with the liberal democrats that want to disarm everyone, or don't think it is necessary. I am retired LEO and carry under federal HB 214 (or 217 I can't remember which right now). I still qualify once a year with the department I retired from. I carry 90% of the time and have carried a firearm for 30 years.

Occasionally I am put in a position where I end up some where that I shouldn't be carrying. It happens, just be careful. In Ohio you have to notify a police officer if you are carrying, as soon as they stop you or you can be charged with that.

It's HB218, the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act. Congrats on the "will carry" philosophy. I just went from Ohio to Sturgis, had my fanny pack on the whole trip. Been carrying (full time PO) for 14 years now, have had only two occasions to actually produce the weapon off duty but really needed it both times. Like a rubber, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:19 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: alazlo

Take it with you.

So... I have carried in places where it is a no-no before. The trick there is to not be stupid about it. At least in my opinion. Like I said... most people hardly ever know I am carrying.

And in North Carolina we are required to inform a cop if we are carrying or NOT. So if you get pulled you are to tell the Peace Officer, "Sir (or Ma'am), I have a concealed carry permit and I do (or do not) have a weapon with me."

MOST cops are cool about it. The only time I have had issues are with the kids straight out of the Academy. There are on the power trip high and do not like "Civilians" carrying. Never mind the fact that I can score better on a qualifying run.

The only time I have NOT informed PD about my pistol was when I got pulled over in IL. I am not supposed to have a gun there (no one is).

Quick Reply: Going to Biketober Fest and debating about CCW...