General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Biketober Fest and debating about CCW...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts
Default RE: Going to Biketober Fest and debating about CCW...

ORIGINAL: mkelley...Hackd ...what holster do you use? You mentioned that it is hidden?...
I've got a Colt Combat Target 1911 (I own two .45s, a Lorcin .22, a Colt Target .22 6" barrel, and a Thompson Contender in .45-70 which is a blast, literally to shoot). I use a 10 shot mag with the Colt and a Galco paddle holster which allows me to carry the 1911 in 'condition 1' and has a safety strap that goes between the frame and cocked hammer. The strap disengages simply with mild pressure when the weapon is unholstered. It also allows me to easily remove the weapon/holster and store it in the center console/glovebox/trunk without having to strip. It's not really a good pistol to carry concealed, especially during the summer. Plus it's heavy. And in Michigan it has to be concealed. I mean completely hidden from any view. I saw some dude riding a Road King on I-275 the other day (civilian clothing so don't not if he was a LEO or not) and the wind was whipping his Hawaiian shirt so much that his Glock was clearly visible. Not cool and a certain invite to trouble if you are not a LEO. People have cell phones and they will call with your plate number. Lots of people worked really hard and contributed a ton of money to get the law changed in this state, and we certainly don't need some knuckle head acting stupid so the liberal press can exploit it.

If I was going to actively carry a weapon (physically that is), it would be something smaller than my 1911. Something at least 9mm or larger, but in a compact (light weight) size. I fired a few that size, but until you lug 'em around, you never know how heavy they are gonna feel. And like the very experienced LEO that taught all three of my CCW classes said: You can always tell who's carrying because their hands are constantly going to where their gun is concealed.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: nmfxstc...I took mine out of the saddlebag, clipped it to my belt and waited the couple of hours it was going to take to get the parts to me...a state patrol happened by as I was sitting in the shade of the bike. I stood up and put my hands in clear sight on the bike and he approached and immediately saw the piece (it wasn't concealed and I do not have a CCW) and I asked if the piece posed a problem for him and how he would like me to proceed. He said, Hell NO....damn good idea (but advised me to keep my hands in plain view). I asked him to remove the piece if that would make him more comfortable...he said that would not be necessary. He chatted a while and my partner showed up and we (the three of us) repaired the scoot and went on our way.

CCW? Yeah...I'd like one, but...even though my pieces are legal and registered at purchase, I prefer to avoid another government registration. I carry on the scoot, but in the bags...only retrieve it when I need it (as in the case cited above)...not where I can grab it at a moments\'s notice (no need to add to the road rage thingy).
You must live in a really 'laid back' state. With really cool LEO's. However, a felony conviction-or the possibility of one-should be enough to convince you to get a CCW if you are lucky to live in a 'shall issue' state that is.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:08 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would carry it also!

Check to make sure you know the laws of each state you are traveling through so you handle it properly. Keep the pistol concealed and stay out of bars! Drinking and guns are a no no! I am sure you know that.

I carry a small Kel-tec 380 every where I ride. It only weighs 7 oz and I know if I break down in the backwoods somewhere my wife and I are not subject to the whims of Bubba and friends. Never had a problem and don't anticipate and problems but you never know what might happen. Better to be safe than a statistic. Just my humble opinion.

I will never show the gun to anybody, display the gun for any purpose, its there for self defense only, to use in a life threating situation.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:16 AM
meatloaf69
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two cents;

Last Biketoberfest my wife and I were going back to our camper at Tomoka State Park (just N. of Daytona). As we rode down the long, dark country road that leads to Tomoka, I noticed a guy sitting on a bike off in the woods at a pullover. The entrance was about a quarter mile down and we would have to get off the bike to unlock the gate and I could only think that we would be sitting ducks for an armed robbery or worse. As I slowed to the gate the rider started up and came out of the woods and onto the road in our direction, I decided not to stop and instead sped up and went down the road a few miles. We turned around and as we got back to the gate there were other bikers going in so we followed. I never saw him again.

I knew in my heart that that guy was up to no good and we were lucky to have seen him. I live in N Florida and have a concealed weapons permit and I almost always carry a Airweight Smith & Wesson .38 but this time I left it in the camper because I knew tht we were going in the bars. That incident has changed my perspective on full time carry, even when it's a gray area. Always make sure you have a gun when you need a gun and if you use a gun make sure you have a great lawyer.

Just to clairify, even if I had my .38 with me I still would have drove away. It is not worth risking my wife's and my safety to see what his intentions were. It would have made me feel a lot safer when I returned the second time to open the gate; particularly if there were no other bikers going in with us.

Good Luck, Meatloaf