General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Biketober Fest and debating about CCW...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:40 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Going to Biketober Fest and debating about CCW...

If you don't plan on doing ANY drinking, I'd say go for it.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:41 PM
MasterRye
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you answered your own question. You already seem uncomfortable with and in doubt enough to bring this type of question to us. Also the cop(if stoped) will have have the right to search everything once he knows you have a weapon, legal or not. Best of luck with your own decision.
ORIGINAL: went_postal

So... I think it would be a BAD idea to have my weapon on me while attendind any of the festivities at Biketoberfest.. But I am thinking that while riding down I may wear my pistol. If I was in the car... it would be no question, I would have my pistol with me.

The reason for the post... Anyone think this is going to be too much of a hassel? I am a permit holder and from what I can tell I have reciprocity in SC, GA, and FL. So I should be covered. My concern is... Excessive Police activity. I will be legal and everything but I really do not want to get into any sorta issue with any local PD. Once in Daytona the weapon would be stashed and locked in the destination room. And then the merriment will commence.

Is it just a totally bad idea?

And for anyone wondering... I carry my pistol in the hopes that I NEVER have to use it. But if I am ever put into a situation where I have to choose between myself and the bad guy... I am choosing me. Right now it looks like it is going to be 4 of us doing the ride from NC to FL. I just normally carry my gun while on long trips... I have just not taken this long of a trip on a bike before.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:35 AM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got this email today... seemed appropriate:

Are you a Democrat or Republican?
Here is a little test that will help you decide. The answer can be found by posing the following question:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small
children. Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner,
and charges at you.

You are carrying a Glock cal 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Democrat's Answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!
Does the man look poor or oppressed?
Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
Could we run away?
Why is this street so deserted?
We need to raise taxes, have paint and weed day and make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior.
What does my wife think?
What about the kids?
Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?
What does the law say about this situation?
Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?
Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?
Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?
Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?
Should I call 9-1-1?
This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for few days and try to come to a consensus.

Republican's Answer:

BANG!

Old 08-20-2006, 09:16 AM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 399 Posts

You should take it. I just made a similar trip to FL and carried with no problems. If you can lock it in your room while you're partying, you should be all set.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:27 AM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior

Carry it
ITs YOUR RIGHT

Old 08-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

I've had a CCW in Michigan since the law was revised in 2001. If you feel comfortable carrying it, then go ahead and carry it. And you are well versed on all the laws in the various states you'll be in, then you should be okay. But I can tell you this, that there are lots of LEOs (uniformed and plain clothed) on Main St and hanging out around other areas. If you happen to expose that weapon accidently, you are gonna get hassled. Hell if they drag the 'sweet things' off main because they flash a bit of tit, then I can only imagine what they've got in mind for someone that is carrying. Legally or not.

I've been to at least three Biketoberfests (rode to every one of them), and with the exception of one time at a bar in Edgewood (which I had a bad feeling about and split), I have never seen, been involved with, or otherwise encountered any problems. But I stopped partying into the early morning hours years ago. I've never had the desire/need/urge...whatever to take my pistol with me. In fact in the 5+ years I've had the permit, I've never carried. On my person, or in my vehicle.

I have a permit because it is my right to have one. I believe that everyone should exercise that right, whether you decide to carry it, or not. And I do agree that it is better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

If you pack - stay sober.

If you are going to drink - leave it at home.

Not a real great list of options, but sometimes reality is real.[:@]

Old 08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

You have a permit that allows you to carry in all the states you are traveling through, you have said that you will have it stashed when you get to Daytona. I don't see a problem.

No matter how saturated the police presence might be, you are #1 legal, and #2 they will not even know you have it unless, God forbid, you need it.

I personally would not be traveling around the country without a means of personal protection.

Regards,

Bill

Old 08-20-2006, 01:40 PM
cwh22
Stage II

New to the forum, but had to weigh in on this one.

I believe in carrying. I carry 90% of the time I go into public. I volunteer to DD when I carry, now I drink a whole lot less, and save some cash, and God forbid I ever need to defend myself I'm capable.

In this instance though I would not be comfortable Leaveing my firearm locked in a hotel room. Way too many people have access to your hotel room. With it being a big time for out of towners the low lifes will be looking for easy pickings. If your staying in a friends home that you know and trust then by all means take it along, You're no good in a gun fight without a gun.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:06 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't pack a piece at the rally itself, but on the road and travelling....always!

Should you break down (I had an ignition wire short out and had to have a partner ride 90 miles to the nearest 'ville to get parts) you are at themercy of whomever happens along...a car full of punk wannabes, a crazy meth head, or anyone! Even the odds and, in that case, openly display the piece on you so it is clearly seen from a distance.

I took mine out of the saddlebag, clipped it to my belt and waited the couple of hours it was going to take to get the parts to me...a state patrol happened by as I was sitting in the shade of the bike. I stood up and put my hands in clear sight on the bike and he approached and immediately saw the piece (it wasn't concealed and I do not have a CCW) and I asked if the piece posed a problem for him and how he would like me to proceed. He said, Hell NO....damn good idea (but advised me to keep my hands in plain view). I asked him to remove the piece if that would make him more comfortable...he said that would not be necessary. He chatted a while and my partner showed up and we (the three of us) repaired the scoot and went on our way.

CCW? Yeah...I'd like one, but...even though my pieces are legal and registered at purchase, I prefer to avoid another government registration. I carry on the scoot, but in the bags...only retrieve it when I need it (as in the case cited above)...not where I can grab it at a moments\'s notice (no need to add to the road rage thingy).

Quick Reply: Going to Biketober Fest and debating about CCW...