General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advance Carbon Helmet Scam!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called when I saw the recall talked with them about it. One testing site passed the helmets then the NHTSA took them to another site and that site failed them. So which place do you believe? Mine fits great no issues blowing off my head like every other "DOT" helmet I have ever used. Only helmet I like better is my beenie helmet. Only got hassled one time and that time the LEO couldn't even tell me why my helmet was not legal. He said it had to have 3 inches of foam in it. Took my daughters Snell rated fullface off her head and put a tape on it and said this one doesn't even have 3 inches and it is "DOT" Snell rated he just said have a nice night...lol

Also you have to expect ACC to stagger the checks out so not to go bankrupt too quickly.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Devil Dog
Just what the f*ck is that suppose to mean? It's 50% kevlar & 50% carbon fiber, tougher than anything else made out there, dot or not.

I used to race R/C nitro powered boats. They were 2-4 foot long and had speeds from 50-90 real mph. Some hulls were made of wood & epoxy, some fiber glass cloth & resins & they both took a beating. We decided Kevlar would be lighter & stronger so we built a couple of tunnel hulls. They didn't last long at all. They disintegrated on impact when the water was choppy. So much for Kevlar.

Last edited by golfblues; 06-02-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 PM
jrr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bks6721
Did everyone really think they where DOT legal just because ACC put the sticker on them? I'll sell you a salad bowl with a sticker for $50!
What color is the bowl?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:56 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
I used to race R/C nitro powered boats. They were 2-4 foot long and had speeds from 50-90 real mph. Some hulls were made of wood & epoxy, some fiber glass cloth & resins & they both took a beating. We decided Kevlar would be lighter & stronger so we built a couple of tunnel hulls. They didn't last long at all. They disintegrated on impact when the water was choppy. So much for Kevlar.
yeap that proves it... never mind the fact that kevlar is in fact scientifically proven to be stronger than steel and used to stop bullets. your toy boat experiment proves that kevlar is worthless.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad I kept mine. It is still the most comfortable, lightest helmet and fits like a glove.
+1

Kept mine as well.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by babalu
yeap that proves it... never mind the fact that kevlar is in fact scientifically proven to be stronger than steel and used to stop bullets. your toy boat experiment proves that kevlar is worthless.

Hey, just stating what we found when it was used for thin hulls. And these were not "toys" doing 90mph on 60% nitro methane.. How long have you been a ahole?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:24 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey, just stating what we found when it was used for thin hulls. And these were not "toys" doing 90mph on 60% nitro methane.. How long have you been a ahole?
lol post something as stupid as you did people will call you on it, they use kevlar to stop bullets yet your toy boat experiment proves kevlar not worthy? it was a dumb statement, i said as much get over it. as for your ahole statement i don't have time for internet posturing in that regard, makes you look even stupider.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

lol post something as stupid as you did people will call you on it, they use kevlar to stop bullets yet your toy boat experiment proves kevlar not worthy? it was a dumb statement, i said as much get over it. as for your ahole statement i don't have time for internet posturing in that regard, makes you look even stupider.
Keep talking & tell me why the ACC helmets didn't pass the penetration test. Ahole still stands

Old 06-02-2010, 09:29 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Keep talking & tell me why the ACC helmets didn't pass the penetration test. Ahole still stands
i would assume similar to you and your stupid toy boats, their construction practices were lacking.

the tensile strength of kevlar is pretty well proven i don't think i need to actually defend it. who knows if acc even used kevlar, plus they mixed it with carbon fiber.

from wikipedia:

Currently, Kevlar has many applications, ranging from bicycle tires and racing sails to body armor because of its high tensile strength-to-weight ratio—famously: "...5 times stronger than steel on an equal weight basis..."[3] When used as a woven material, it is suitable for mooring lines and other underwater applications.

Last edited by babalu; 06-02-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:37 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

i would assume similar to you and your stupid toy boats, their construction practices were lacking.
OK smart one, I'm done.

http://composite.about.com/od/aboutc...l/aa050597.htm

Like all good things, Kevlar also has a few disadvantages. The fibers themselves absorb moisture, so Kevlar composites are more sensitive to the environment than glass or graphite composites. Although tensile strength and modulus are high, compressive properties are relatively poor. Finally, Kevlar is also very difficult to cut. You will need special scissors for cutting dry fabric or prepreg, and special drill bits for drilling cured laminates. Cutting of cured laminates without fraying is very difficult.

Quick Reply: Advance Carbon Helmet Scam!!!