General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go Pro Camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:00 PM
ChopinRockwooD
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Go Pro Camera

I'm Looking to purchase a camera to mount on my bike. So far I have seen pics and video from the Go-Pro WIde (159.00) and from the go_Pro Wide HD (329.00) and they are awsome. Is anyone using a bike or helmet mount camera and how do you like it? Do you get better pics from any certain mount or angle.

I have a DSLR but i want pics on the go and no way am I mounting A 2 grand camera on the bars.

Thanks

Chop.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure of the Go pro, but take a look at the VIO POV. (Google Search) we use them on our paintball team mounted to our goggles, give a good video, easy to use, but a little on the expensive side. Thought about mounting it to the bike, but haven't yet tried it.

Not sure if it was your looking for, but thought it might do what you are looking for

Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Elgin47
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Handlebar mount Go Pro HD - works just like it's supposed to, which is very well. Negligible vibration, great quality video. I'd recommend it.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Hero Wide Motorsport camera, and it's a great little set-up. With the 4GB HDSC it'll record 2 hours of video, or something like 1,400 to 3,000 pictures if you have it set to shoot either every 2 or 5 seconds.

As far as mounting goes, the best I've found is mounting on the top of your helmet using the low mount. That way you catch everything you look at, whereas a fixed mount looks at where the bike is pointed. You just have to endure the "dork" comments from your buds (OBTW the pictures are well worth the ribbing). I've also used the suction mount on the front of the windshield, and two hours later after traveling bumpy, bone jarring roads it was still there with some great shots.

If you go with the Hero, get some flat rubber that you can cut out and use as isolators inside the waterproof housing. Otherwise you just hear buzzing on the video...ask me how I know.

The Hero camera is damn hard to beat for <$200.

Dusty

Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

There are some Go Pro videos in the video section and all that I have seen have been most excellent with little or no wind noise. Remember if you use a helmet camera that the picture will be swinging around all over the place, pointing everywhere you look. Makes for a kind of dizzying video to watch.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/harle...ra-angles.html

Last edited by Foodog; 06-01-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopinRockwooD
I'm Looking to purchase a camera to mount on my bike. So far I have seen pics and video from the Go-Pro WIde (159.00) and from the go_Pro Wide HD (329.00) and they are awsome. Is anyone using a bike or helmet mount camera and how do you like it? Do you get better pics from any certain mount or angle.

I have a DSLR but i want pics on the go and no way am I mounting A 2 grand camera on the bars.

Thanks

Chop.
Last month I bought a GoPro HD video camera. Here are a couple of test videos. The first is a helmet mount with the video camera on the right side of my helmet on the Fat Bob.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzXiVZtVIjg

The next video is taken on my Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 utilizing a chest strap setup....it was mounted a little low I learned after watching the video, but it is easy to adjust the straps and get the camera higher on my body......
http://www.youtube.com/user/centerli.../1/5wFlztI5GfE

Old 06-02-2010, 03:45 AM
bluesmanjesse
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cousin has one that we take on ATV trips,here's a vid of one of those trips shot with the GoProHD on the right side of his helmet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Y9HVes7Rg

Old 06-02-2010, 06:09 AM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased mine for the trip out west. It really works very well. I used the mounts that came with the unit. I put one mount above the left speaker on my ultra classic. Pictures are great and it is not that noticeable. I did not want it on my helmet or my handlebars. The suction cup that comes with the kit is very strong. I also get the buzzing noise as stated in another reply. I just edit it with the video software and enter music. It is well worth the money.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:57 AM
ChopinRockwooD
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys, Looks like i'm going out this weekend and picking up one. Not sure if the HD(high def) is worth the extra $$$ but it does shoot video @ 60 FPS for cool slo-motion vids. The only downside is I guess is that now there will be proof of how fast I REALLY
was going. (like 60 mph in 3.5 or 100mph right centerline) Cool video guys.

Chop.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 AM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Centerline: Is that the standard or wide lens?

Quick Reply: Go Pro Camera